“Good but a bit pricey”

Wildberry Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Ashford
Cuisines: American, Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant closes during off-season(November through March). Under new management. One of the few restaurants (or at least decent ones) near the entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park. Currently owned by a renowned mountain climber, Lhakpa Gelu Sherpa. Lhakpa (owner) has climbed Mt. Everest 15 times, and also holds the record for the fastest ascent of Mt. Everest in 10 hours 56 minutes and 46 seconds. Wildberry serves both traditional American Mountain Menu (burgers, sandwich, Salads, fish n chips, chicken strips etc.) as well as authentic Sherpa-Himalayan food (steamed Himalayan style dumplings- Momo, stew, Thali, etc.) from Tibet & Nepal.
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We all bought different dinners and all were good. I had a salad which was rather small and a small cup of soup. Both were tasty but portions small. Water has a strange sulfur taste which was evident in the ice cubes in my husband's soft drink. There were many items to choose from but I felt prices were a bit too high.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

The food was fare. Nothing to rave about even though we had the choice of some unique meats. How can you tell what the serve is what it is. M had the halibut and I had chicken Parm. ( coward).

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Two menus at this true family-run restaurant: (Middle) America and Nepalese. Go Nepalese, people. After a long hike, try the yak and a beer, followed by one of those lovely mango yogurt concoctions for dessert. We tried a lot of the Nepalese menu and enjoyed all of it.

Decor is slightly kitschy but it works; it's not a fancy place but it's not pretending to be. Service is great and highly knowledgeable, as it's the family members themselves doing the serving. Very accommodating service; we wanted to try a mix of the beef and veggie momos, and they happily did so with no extra charge.

Papadum was served with a great little chutney. My yak burger, while obviously not authentic Nepalese, was really, really tasty.

Finally: the huckleberry pie was delicious.

Don't know how long this place has been around, but I hope it makes a go of it and is there the next time we swing through.

1  Thank IgnerAnt
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We recently ate here while visiting Mt. Rainier - my son had grilled cheese (it was standard), my husband had the Yak burger (it was better than expected), and I had the chicken curry. The chicken curry was the best I've ever had, and the best meal I've eaten in a long time.
The waitress was nothing but nice and spent extra time talking to us about the goods her family brings back from Nepal when they close down for the winter.
I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for something a little different. If you want standard American cuisine you can get that anywhere. Go here for something special!

2  Thank ajeri7
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The service was great. The "beer of the day" was a great deal, and the food was excellent. I was particularly fond of the samosas and huckleberry pie.

2  Thank ecco815

Been to Wildberry Restaurant? Share your experiences!