“Make up rules as they go... totally unprofessional”
Review of Nisqually Lodge

Nisqually Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Reviewed July 9, 2012

It took me about 6 months to design, plan, and execute our 11-day birding excursion from June 24 to July 4, 2012. Our birding excursion covers 3 rental cars, 6 hotels (Rockport WA, Mt. Vernon WA, Port Angeles WA, Ashford WA, Yakima WA and Portland OR), 1 whale watching boat ride, 1 ferry connection; and there are 16 people with farious hotel requirements. This birding excursion is one of the most complex ones that I ever planned. THE ONLY PROBLEM we encountered is with Nisqually Lodge.

I made my original reservation in March/April timeframe for 5 double-queen rooms with requests of 2 rollaway beds (to accomodate a family of 5 and 3 individual females). Request was acknowledged with no issue. Everything seemed fine. The reservation is 5 rooms for 3 nights (June 29, 30, July 1).

One month before the trip, I started calling all hotels/whale watching to confirm our reservation. When I called Nisqually Lodge, I was told that there is NO ROLLAWAY options; so I booked 2 more rooms with single bed in each room. Now I have 7 rooms on reservation.

On June 29 later afternoon, when the family of 5 checked in, all of a suddent the rollaway bed is available and Nisqually Lodge offered the rollaway bed to the family. Off course, they took the offer but Nisqually Lodge failed to inform them that they are also charging the second room.

Who knew that the charge eventually goes to my credit card as I am the one reserve all the rooms.

When I called Nisqually Lodge today (July 9, 2011) to dispute the charge, the owner (Darrel) said that they have to charge the room that is booked but not used. It is hard to understand the logic why Nisqually Lodge offered the Rollerway bed that we were told it is not an option? I told Darrel that Nisqually Lodge should just gave us 2 rooms as we reserved for at least the first night; it can be changed to 1 room with Rollaway for the next 2 nights. As I was explaining this situation to him, he hang up on me.....

I travel around the world for birding and business and never encountered hotel owner this rude and unprefessional. Please avoid this lodge at all cost.

There are plenty of lodges along the road that offers superiour accomodations.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank mraquila

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent 3 peaceful nights at the Nisqually Lodge. Great Rooms, and very affordable. The staff is extremely helpful and kind.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Scott H
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Leave it! My family of three had to change rooms from a room with two queens to a room with one queen and a promised roll-a-way. When we returned late in the evening from sightseeeing at Mt. Rainier, the staff had moved our luggage to the new room however there was no rollaway in the room for my son. We inquired about the rollaway and the staff person said they had made a mistake and that a roll-a-way was unavailable. After having to ask for alternatives, because they clearly had not thought of one, the staff person told me that someone could sleep on the futon couch in the "conference room". While I was open to and went to explore this option, my wife went to the front desk to request some compensation and she was told to "f****** take it or f****** leave it" by an unseen lady in the back room who remained anonymous. So obviously, staying was no longer an option. We left and found a room down the road within a few minutes for less money and two queen beds. As for the amenities, if you are desperate enough to stay here, this hotel was adeqauate, clean and provided the basic comforts. But again, after having driven all around the park, there are other options with better folk.

Room Tip: Make sure the hotel provides the sleeping space for all parties in your group.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Perkeo_1
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Glad we found this on Trip Advisor! Nisqually Lodge was a great choice for exploring Mr Rainier via the southwest side Nisqually Entrance. Priced reasonably at $115 for a spacious room with two queen sized beds and private bathroom, it had a quiet, homey Mom and Pop atmosphere, a comfortable downstairs sitting area, free wifi, cell phone reception, a shared hallway refrigerator, free parking and a small complimentary breakfast. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Building has two floors and no elevator. I think that some upstairs king bed rooms have small balcon...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TexasMomTW
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Nice place to stay if you are looking to go to Mt. Rainier National Park - very close to it. The rooms were super huge. The price is very reasonable considering the location. They have laundry services and a small breakfast in the mornings.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SWMN87
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My father and I stayed in this lodge on a mid-week near the end of March. We've stayed at the National Park Inn within the Park before but their prices were much higher and the rooms in general were less spacious. Nisqually Lodge is only a few minutes from the Park's entrance and there are several eating places nearby. We had a quiet night's rest (no airplane noise) and an adequate breakfast. Everything was working in the room and the view toward the forest was inviting. We would definitely stay there again. Probably in the busy summer months one would be aware of the other guests and the breakfast area could get crowded. It does pay to travel in the off-season!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back. It would be quieter and have a forest view!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank seattlemusician
Reviewed December 17, 2011

This was a very nice & reasonable place to stay right outside of Mt. Rainer National Park as we continued our Motorcycle trips around North America. The Owners & staff were very helpful in providing us with all the information we needed on Mt. Rainier & the surrounding area. There were several good places to eat within a short distance keeping in mind that you are in National Park area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GoldWingHuntleyIL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#1 of 5 in Packwood
Copper Creek Inn
Copper Creek Inn
#2 of 3 in Ashford

Been to Nisqually Lodge? Share your experiences!