“Magical!”
Review of Wellspring

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashford
Wellspring
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Reviewed August 30, 2007

WellSpring is purely magical! The trees sing and the moss hums and the redwood hot tub soothes your soul. This is a place for those of us who appreciate rustic earthiness and luxury rolled into a cozy forest hide-away experience. The enjoyment includes close encounters with wildlife and cozy cabins and the amazingly warm and graceful hospitality of Sunny, the owner and creator of WellSpring. It is a fully rejuvenating and spiritual experience.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank Farber

Reviewed July 24, 2007

Would have been a charming place to stay (Tuolumne Cabin) if there were not mice around. They chewed on our baby's plastic spoon that was drying on a facecloth and left the feces around as evidence. Mouse droppings were on the rug as well.

Not a place to bring a baby/toddler who tastes everything. GOod for a romantic getaway for a couple.

The food left in a basket on the microwave or outside the door was significantly less appealing after seeing all the mouse droppings in the cabin. We would suggest that the owners add a "mouseproof" cabinet to the place and acknowledge the presence of mice so that people do not leave food out and attract more rodents.

Room was not cleaned each day. This would not have been a problem if there was not a mouse problem.

Bed and the armchairs were very comfortable.
At $160 a night, we expected more.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank bioteachNewYork
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We have stayed here many times over the years and know that Sunny would rather not have internet exposure....sorry Sunny! This is a very different place..from the Treehouse, to the Greenhouse with the Japanese garden, to the A frame cabins, to the new log cabins with jacuzzi tubs to the the theme tents built on platforms, to the 3 Bears cottage (the only lodging that permits children), to the checkin procedure, to the dog that drops rocks into the redwood hottub . I hate to tell you too much...that ruins the surprises! Be sure to book a massage with Sunny, hopefully she won't be out globe trotting in Bora Bora or Tahiti....but her backup is good too. My grandaughter had her first massage here and still talks about it. My sister cried when she had her massage here...it was so good. Something is always being added or changed to the property. Sunny has created a magical place. Sorry Sunny..the word is out!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank juliebug52
Reviewed January 18, 2006

If you are looking for a secluded, rustic, romantic getaway, I can't recommend the Wellspring highly enough. We literally didn't see another soul the entire time we were there, which was perfect for us.

The cabin was comfy and charming, if a bit rustic. Included a coffee maker and fridge in the seating area. We arrived to find logs laid out in the woodburning stove ready for us to light. There is a short walk from the parking area to the cabins, but there is a nice big stash of golf umbrellas in case of rain. We went out for dinner Saturday night and returned to find a little fairy had come, left us fresh towels, and breakfast for the following morning. Breakfast was a simple continental breakfast.

It's a bit hard to rate the service, since we never saw anyone! When you arrive, your name is on a checkin board along with your key and you leave your check or cc number in an envelope in your room when you check out. There was a phone by the check-in board if you needed to contact the owner, but we never wanted for anything.

The only drawback is that the cabins were a little closer together than I would have liked, but, as we never saw another soul while we were there, it wasn't an issue.

• Stayed: April 2003
4  Thank karenjlms
A TripAdvisor Member
Portland
Reviewed November 3, 2005

I've stayed at Wellspring, in the cabins and the main lodge. I and the people with me, without exception, loved the setting, the accomodations, and the people who run the place. As to the people who were so freaked out by the "mouse droppings" (see previous review) and the failure of management to promptly discount their lodging price in response to the complaint, I can only recommend they remain in Seattle or Los Angeles, or wherever they're from. This is a great place for people who like comfortable accomodations in a natural setting.

Stayed: November 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 5, 2005

My husband and I arrived at Mt. Rainier with no reservations. This proved to be a problem in Ashford, as none of the inns had a vacancy. We stumbled upon Wellspring, which, lucky for us, had a cabin available. We stayed in the Grace West room of The Woodland cabin for $125/night plus tax. The room was very nicely appointed. The featherbed was heaven to sleep on, especially after a day of hiking. There was also a refrigerator and a microwave, as well as a CD player with a relaxing CD to listen to. The coffeemaker was accompanied by fresh grounds, no irritating pre-measured filter packs. For the tea drinkers, there were a variety of flavors. The breakfast basket each morning was delicious - pastries, fruit, yogurt, cheese, and juice.

While other guests must pay $5/hour to enjoy the hot tub out back, those staying in Grace West have it all to themselves for free after 9:00 pm until about 11:00 in the morning. The only minor drawback is that the bathroom is "shared" between the hours of 11:00 to 9:00. Not that this was a problem for us, because we never ran across another guest the entire time we were there. But, in theory, we could have had some interrupted bathroom time.

We certainly enjoyed our last minute find and would recommend it to others. We are interested in returning to try out the Greenhouse and the Treehouse. And we didn't get a chance to have a massage from Sunny, but will definitely make time for it on the next visit.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank whatrocks9
Reviewed September 18, 2004

Recently spent a few days at Mt Rainier and Wellspring.

Upon arrival we were initially quite excited by the setting and adventure of staying in a cabin-tent out in the woods. We are both accustomed to camping and are not overly squeamish people. We were delighted by our short winding walk through the woods to get to our accommodation which promised privacy and romantic atmosphere -- no electricity, no phone, no TV. The tent was supplied with a woodstove, lanterns, candles and flashlight to guide us back to the common gazebo area which houses a restroom and shower. I did expect the gazebo area to be more "set up" than it was -- an empty floor with a tired looking gas/propane grill pulled out to one side. Since the weather was so poor (raining and chilly) it would have been nice to have some sort of fire pit or enclosed fire chimney with tables and chairs to set at under the gazebo. We had also been looking forward to preparing a nice dinner on the grill and "eating in"...but we'll get to that in a bit.

After we settled in and I noted the lacking cooking arrangements at the gazebo, we decided to go out to dinner. Upon our return it was raining very hard and we were trying to avoid the walk up to the gazebo area to get ready for bed. We decided to try to use the water provided in the cooler outside of our tent to wash our faces and brush our teeth. I retrieved one of the cups from the table and filled it with water in anticipation of brushing my teeth and then reached for some other personal items I had put on the sagging card table which served as an eating table with place settings put out. As I did so, I felt something jam under my fingernail on the table. I gingerly attempted to remove the offending item and to my horror realized that it was a mouse dropping! I instructed my husband to retrieve a lantern which we placed on the table to inspect the situation further. We easily spotted no less than 6 mouse droppings on the table top and on the plates which were left for us to use! Further inspection of the tent revealed an open box of Decon under the bed with copious amounts of mouse droppings surrounding it and spreading out on the dark green carpet in the tent.

As I said before, my husband and I both enjoy camping and are not, as a rule, squeamish people. However, when I am paying $90 a night to stay in a tent/cabin I do expect basic things like a clean eating area and a floor that I can walk on without treading over mouse poop. Yes, I know there are mice in the woods, HOWEVER, even the most cursory look by the inn keepers during daylight hours would have alerted them to the situation. At this point it was well after 10pm and we were exhausted. Disappointed, but resolved to make it through the night, we trudged through the woods to get ready for bed. Surely, we thought, the Inn keepers will be horrified when we relay this experience to them in the morning and will rectify it completely.

The night brought torrential downpours and we realized in the morning that we needed to upgrade to one of the log cabins with bathroom and sitting area since we were most likely going to be spending much more time indoors than anticipated.

My husband walked up to the check in area which offers a phone to reach the Inn keepers directly. He explained the situation and our bad experience and then said that we'd like to upgrade to one of the cabins available since the weather was so unexpectedly poor and we were not comfortable in the tent, given our findings there. While accommodating our request to upgrade to a cabin, the Inn keeper was unaffected by our complaint about the mouse droppings and offered no real apology or any sort of discount on either our night spent in discomfort or a discounted rate on our cabin. In hindsight, at this point we should have just checked out and sought accommodations elsewhere.

We did enjoy our night in the log cabin, Tahoma, which was romantic and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the cabin was clean overall.

I did give the Innkeeper one more chance to offer some sort of token discount as we checked out and reminded her again that we left the mouse droppings just as we found them in the tent on the table and the floor, but was rewarded with an apathetic, noncommittal "uh-huh" from her. We were charged the full fee of $85 dollars for our night in the tent and another $125 for our night in the cabin plus taxes.

While we enjoyed the cabin, I would not recommend Wellspring to anyone based on the lack of service from the Innkeepers. Overall, I was very disappointed.

26  Thank Harlowquinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#4 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Wellspring? Share your experiences!