“Our night at this lovely setting was spoiled by the terrible, inflatable mattress.”
Review of Wellspring

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashford
Wellspring
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Due to a change of plans we needed to move our one night reservation at the Treehouse by one day. We were told the Treehouse was booked and we were encouraged to book one of the tents at the same price. When we arrived, it was a struggle to find our designated tent due to very poor signage in the deep woods; we finally found the small marker hanging low behind tall grass. The tent was charming with a high fourposter bed. However, we both immediately noticed the sagging appearance of the bed and were dismayed to find that it totally sank in the middle, making a good night's rest impossible. In the morning we discovered our bed was actually a blow-up mattress, and not very well inflated at that. The restroom was quite a distance from the tent, in contrast with what the woman told us. We were given a key to unlock a box holding our coffeepot and found it dirty with the last guest's coffee grounds still in place. And there were no new filters included. If a breakfast basket was provided, we were unable to locate it, but at that point we just wanted to get away from a very disappointing experience. We also felt the $10 per person, per hour charge for use of the hot tub was an unnecessarily excessive charge. We would never stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jules33450

Reviewed April 29, 2010

I have been returning to Wellspring for about ten years now. It started with a romantic getaway in on of the cabins; followed by a stay in the Three Bears cottage with the kids; a stay in the Tatoosh (my favorits) with my daughter celebrating a birthday with her friend in the Tree House. My husband and I have returned to the Tatoosh several times. Each visit has me yearning to stay forever. The hot tub for an hour with a nice glass of wine is the perfect end to any day. Sonny performs massages in a very tranquil setting and they are absoultely to die for. Ok so the breakfast baskets could use some work but then thats not what we come for. We have hiked the simple trail, maintained by Sonnys husband, up and around and follow the beautifu river back to the cabin. The moss hanging from the trees and the kodak moments abound. You don't really see anyone unless you want to there is a great Gazebo where we have BBQ'd steaks and just relaxed. If you have never experiened Wellspring and you want to get back in touch with your mate, or back in touch with youself I couldn't recommend a place more. As a matter of fact its been to long since my last visit. Excuse me now while I go make another reservation.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Soapy_butt
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Found Wellspring on TripAdvisor and was surprised they had availability for a last minute trip. The few bad reviews didn’t scare us off as there are many good reviews as you can see and it looks like a great place. We booked one of the deluxe cabins and got a confirmation back only to get a call a few days later saying there was a scheduling mistake and a wedding happening at the property had all the deluxe cabins booked. So the scheduling person said we would be very happy in the Tatoosh Room, after all Al Gore had stayed here so we accepted the change.

On arrival the property is nicely nestled in the deep woods off the main road into Rainer. They have a rather unique check-in system with a board and envelops for each cabin all sort of nice for the outdoor experience. Our room wasn’t ready as they were still cleaning up from a wedding the night before and the grounds were with tent, chairs, trash etc. We left and came back later in the afternoon and were able to check-in. The Tatoosh room is a larger lodge building but to our surprise the room was the living room of the lodge and the bed was a pull out sofa in front of a fireplace (see photo). Pull out sofas may not be bad to stay in a pinch but certainly not something you pay decent money for in a nice resort even if it is in the wood. We gave the “bed” a try and found it was as one would expect a worn pull out sofa that sagged in the middle and far from comfortable. We would have packed up before even unpacking but the location and the lack of other lodging kept us put trying to keep an open mind. As we tried to sleep in the “bed” that acted more as a hammock we then discover the room upstairs connected to the lodge was another room that when the other guest turned on their lights it lite up the loft area of our room and we heard everything from their room. Far from private as we were advised by the scheduling team.

I could go on but let’s just say we weren’t impressed with the Tatoosh lodge. We packed up first thing in the AM and left a day earlier than planned. I’m an avid camper (backpacking and tent camping) so use to being outdoors etc but when I pay for a upscale cabin/room it’s what I expect. Perhaps the newer cabins are that experience we were expecting and by the looks of the other reviews it may be the case. I would like to think we would try the location again but not anytime soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank johnfi
Reviewed October 7, 2009

We stayed at “the nest”, and I must say it was one of the most romantic places we ever stayed in, and I felt we got good value for our money ($115 per night).
It a small cabin, 1st floor has a table and chair, as well as bathroom. The 2nd floor is the bedroom – small but so cozy & nice! The bed is hanging from the ceiling on thick rope, and swings when you move – so be aware to this fact if you are suffering from sea sickness!  Another thing to consider at this specific room is that if the 2nd side of the lodge is occupied by noisy people – you will hear them – for sure.

We are not morning eaters, so we didn’t touch the breakfast basket but yes- as said before – it was really small.
I had a massage with Sunny, and it was great.
It’s a nice, romantic place, at a great location, so we highly recommend it.

2  Thank LilaloTLV
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I did a lot of research before booking Wellspring. Books, online forums, and TripAdvisor all pointed me toward Wellspring would be our homebase for 2 days while visiting Mount Rainier.

We reserved the Tenaya cabin, which was $155/night before taxes, etc. For that price, we should have had two nights of romantic and well earned bliss, but we didn't experience more than a lovely made cabin and nice grounds. The box spring creaked every time we moved, there was no soap minus a small amount of hand soap in the bathroom, we had no additional towels for the hot tub (which is an additional $10/person), which meant that our shower towels played double-duty (and smelled like chlorine post-hot tub), and our breakfast featured two small tubs of diet yogurt (which, combined with the diet hot cocoa--no regular offered-- and sugar substitutes seemed odd and out of character at a wellness spa), two pastries, and two pieces of fruit. Not quite the breakfast basket we were expecting before embarking on a day-long hike through the park. We even left a nice note for our housekeeper, Sarah, but no soap, extra towels, or non-diet breakfast for us. We never saw Sunny, the owner, but we did see a pair of deer munching before dinner. The cabin construction is quite cool, and we enjoyed looking out of the A-frame windows to see the rain teeter down early in the morning.

If you're looking for a place to retreat from the world, and money doesn't matter, this might be it. But if you want to feel like your $155 gets you something in return, look elsewhere.

4  Thank rahir
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed at Wellspring for one night near the end of our Pacific Northwest vacation. What a treasure. I booked it after reading the reviews here. We stayed in the Tenaya cabin. It was perfect! Plenty of space, a really comfy couch and bed, micro/fridge/coffeemaker, and wood burning stove. It was so very peaceful on the property. We only saw two other couples in walking around the grounds when we were there. Other than that, complete privacy. The grounds were beautiful with a lovely hike which offered great views. A basket of wonderful goodies was left in our fridge for our morning breakfast. This was really the perfect place to wind down at the end of our vacation, and also a great base camp for going into the park to see Mt. Rainier.

2  Thank sonoma501
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I found Wellspring through TripAdvisor when searching for a place to stay near Mt. Rainier. I couldn't believe my luck, and didn't even know that they had only just launched a Website until we called to book. It sounded so nice, we were going to do it sight unseen, which is a first for us. I couldn't wait to get to our little rustic, peaceful hideaway in the woods, and we weren't disappointed. Our cabin, Tanaya, was so comfortable. I liked how help was just a phone call away, but you still felt secluded. Our massages from Melissa were divine, and although I would have preferred to not have a birdcage in the room, I still felt relaxed. We also took advantage of the wonderful hot tubs in the evenings, which were especially welcome after hiking at Mt. Rainier.

I never met Sunny the owner, but my husband did because he needed advice on a place to buy veggie burgers for dinner. Since the closest grocery store that would have sold them was a ways away, Sunny was kind enough to leave us some tofu, corn and zucchini to cook on the fire, which was really wonderful. On the first night, she also left us the remains of a fire in the fire pit, which proved very helpful, as us city folk had a little trouble getting one started for dinner the next night.

My one complaint would be that there wasn't anything savory in the breakfast basket that is left in your mini fridge each day, just yogurt, a danish and fruit. I would have liked a hard-boiled egg or maybe an English muffin. But otherwise, Wellspring is a gem, and I wish we could have spent more than two nights here.

2  Thank lisa_teany
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford
Copper Creek Inn
Copper Creek Inn
#2 of 3 in Ashford

Been to Wellspring? Share your experiences!