“Where's the Innkeeper?”
Review of Wellspring

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashford
Wellspring
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I surprised my boyfriend with a weekend getaway. Our trip coincided with a huge storm that came through the area. There were power outages in Ashford that morning, and much of the the park was closed. Our plans changed, we are easy going people, so we rolled with it. We came to the cabin after 3pm. The power and water were out. Someone came to drop off our key at the board, but no one mention the outages or contingency plan. I used the phone around 4pm, and left a message for Sunny with a 3rd party reservation system that they use. Our cabin was dark, we had 1 lantern and a flashlight. We built a fire and made the best of it. At about 8pm, we called again, since we hadn't heard from anyone. Again, I left a message with this third party reservation system. After that we walked around to try and find someone who works there, but there was no one to be found. It seemed so strange that there wasn't anyone overseeing the property, and taking care of guests. We did not hear from anyone that night.

We kept a fire going that night for heat, and got up every few hours to put more logs on the fire. There was 1/2 a gallon of water we found under the sink, and used to wash our hands. At 7am the following day the power came back. For the last few hours we got to "see" the cabin, we made the best of our last few hours there. It was also mentioned that we were to have a small breakfast provided, and nothing was there.

It has been close to 48 hours since I checked in, and have yet to hear from Wellspring. I am very disappointed with how things were handled. Bringing by some water, another lantern, would have been nice. My boyfriend and I joked, that we felt like squatters in the cabin, instead of guests. This place looked appealing to me because of the personal touch the place seemed to have, but that was not the experience we had.

I hope to hear from someone soon. I called an left another message today, and still nothing. I feel tired and disappointed coming home after a weekend away, instead of refreshed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jennifer s
SUNNY1432, Owner at Wellspring, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

I wish your stay had been a different experience for you ! Storms and power outages are not what we hope will interfere with a stay at Wellspring ! Others who were here that same night felt the night was adventurous and romantic and fun. Clearly you did not ! When a big storm knocks out the power we have not only no electricity and therefore no pump for bringing water, but also no phone service. Therefore I never got word of any message. We try to provide water and lanterns, and you did say you found those. I apologize for the confusion and discomfort you felt and hope none of us go through storms like that very often.

There are newer reviews for Wellspring

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wellsprings Spa is the perfect place to go relax and rejuvenate The setting here is very peaceful and tranquil. It was so nice to come here and get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life! I loved the fact that there was no cell phone coverage or televisions just the beautiful atmosphere of the great outdoors in the Northwest. My stay considered of one night in the Turiya and one night in the Grace West.

The Turiya was surrounded by a zen ambiance with a private access area off the master bedroom including a pond with a waterfall, rockery, and wonderful plants, the inside of the cabin was as ascetically pleasing as the outside. The Grace West was tucked away in a more woodsy setting with a great view of the natural Northwest environment also including pond areas and waterfalls. My favorite by far was the Turiya! Both cabins offer the luxury of having exclusive rights to the hot tub, sauna, and spa amenities after 9pm which I fully took advantage of. I also really enjoyed exploring the walking trails.

Sunny was a very gracious host, and she also gave me the best massage I've ever had! I enjoyed my stay so much that I did not want to leave. I have never been so relaxed! I plan on making this a regular place to visit for my health and wellness. I have recommended Wellspring to my friends and family and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Karin A
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here one night in August 2013, in the Timbuktu tent. We had requested an early check-in, which was granted over the phone but the room was not ready quite as early as we expected/hoped. This didn't turn out to be a huge problem, though. The most difficult obstacle was finding our room, as it was set far back into the woods; fortunately we tried to do so for the first time while it was light out, but we still made a few wrong turns in the woods. At night, it was rather creepy as we didn't have flashlights. There were a few small lamps marking the path, but this wasn't enough to make me feel comfortable. This would be a problem if you had to use the restroom in the middle of the night, as the bathrooms were at the beginning of the path into the woods.

The room itself was nice. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the wood stove was set up for us to start a fire, which was my favorite part. The front porch was very nice for breakfast in the morning.

However, regarding breakfast, there were no instructions left for us about this. I had read that breakfast was included, but we had no idea where to find the breakfast. We weren't sure if it was to be left on our porch, and we waited awhile. Then I hiked to the Information board at the entry to the property to see if there was any information there, but there was not. Finally I noticed a mini fridge in the bathroom with two breakfast baskets, but I wasn't sure if these were for us or if this was just where the baskets were kept until they were delivered somewhere else, because there was no info. It was all really unclear and eventually we took one basket from the bathroom. The contents of the basket (string cheese, yogurt, mini muffin, juice box) were fine but nothing too exciting.

I would have preferred more information and access to the manager overall. I tried calling the property several times in the days prior to our arrival to ask about an early check-in, but she doesn't answer the phone herself and uses an answering service, so they had to take a message and ask her to call me back, which didn't always happen. When we arrived at the property, our key was not left on the Information board as we were told it would be, so I picked up the phone that was there, hoping it connected me to her, but instead I was again connected to the answering service, who explained they were in a different state, so that wasn't helpful at all.

It was a beautiful setting, and other reviewers have had great experiences, but I think I'd prefer not to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KRB222

Hello. I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties on your stay here, and I will work harder to make better information available to guests. We do our best to accommodate early check in requests, but we can't always make it work to your wishes. I can only imagine how different and challenging this place must be coming from your home in New York City ! Thank you so much for pointing out what was confusing and where we need to improve. Your feedback, although disappointing that we didn't earn your pleasure, nonetheless is very helpful.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I celebrated my 50th birthday party with the 12 best friends of my life at Wellspring by renting the Tatoosh Lodge and it was perfect in every way. The grounds are sacred and funky and very Northwest groovy. Sunny was the perfect host and me and my amigos felt well held in the space the whole weekend. Also I loved being offline for a few days so don't come here expecting to be texting away..unplug, relax, breathe, enjoy the quiet.

Room Tip: This is a spiritual place and while we made much merry, we kept our outdoor festivities quiet after...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BenTh0mas
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Our stay at Wellspring was nothing short of incredible. We drove in from Seattle and had no problem finding Wellspring. We used our GPS and Sunny's written directions. I had made massage appointments for my husband and me prior to our trip. The person I spoke with was very helpful. Upon arrival at Wellspring our reservation envelope was just where we were told it would be - on the board as you drive in. Although there was not anyone to check us in as a traditional hotel would have, all of the instructions were there. We drove to our cabin, and as we were putting our suitcases in, Sunny and Riley were coming off a trail to greet us and welcome us. Our massages were simply the best massages we have ever had! I was able to explore the area while my husband was getting a massage. I used the hot tub and just started to unwind. Sunny told me about a 1 mile hiking loop and told me a little about what I might find. Over the years Sunny has built the cabins, sanctuary and various trails to be one with nature. It seemed that each time I would go out to explore I would find another almost hidden treasure that I had missed before. You can almost feel the love that has gone into creating this most peaceful and beautiful retreat. Our cabin was so cozy but spacious enough for the two of us. We loved the front porch! Our breakfast basket was in the refrigerator each day. We brought a cooler for our food. My sister and our friend met us at Wellspring after summiting Mount Rainier. They stayed in the cabin next to us. Wellspring was so peaceful and quiet and it was really great to "unplug" from all the phones, emails and computers. There are only a few places that I have gone to that I would consider returning to and Wellspring is one of them! We are already planning on when we can go back! I was truly sad to leave our little cabin retreat. Hugs to you Sunny, Riley and Fiona!

Room Tip: Each cabin is unique. Just go to the website and read about each one to find the one that is perfec...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanie C
Reviewed September 15, 2013

i did not stay here, but my brother and a lot of the wedding party did. the sanctuary in the woods is gorgeous and holds a lot of people. there is not a lot of facilities for the reception--no large fridge to keep food and drinks fresh between arrival and serving, or real seating or dance-space--but the cabins are truly lovely (faux rustic, really) and the overall setting is perfect northwest.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rtsvg
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Wellspring after a long day at Mt. Rainier. We had a little trouble finding it, as it is down a road that looks like a dead end. To make it more difficult, AT&T apparently doesn't have service in the area, so we had to go to Ashford (past Wellspring) to figure out where we were going. When we got there, we had to drop off our luggage at our cabin (Tioga), then park the car in the parking area. The walk was short, so that really wasn't a problem. The cabin was magical! There was a hammock in the loft, a large whirlpool tube, king size bed, and fireplace. Even though there was a cabin just next door, we didn't hear a thing. In the morning, as we were headed to our car, another guest asked if we had gotten our breakfast basket. They said that they found theirs in the refrigerator in the men's washroom. There was not one there with our cabin name, and we didn't get anything on our doorstep. I honestly still don't know if we were supposed to get breakfast or not. Lack of communication is the reason that Wellspring didn't get 4 stars. The accommodations and setting were absolutely gorgeous. Go down the road to the Copper Creek Restaurant for breakfast or dinner.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LaurieM505
SUNNY1432, Owner at Wellspring, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

The breakfast baskets at Wellspring are given to guests who are in cabins or rooms that do not have a nice big kitchen. I'm sorry that some other guest made that a confusion for you !
To be honest, with all of the special preferences people have now, dairy free, gluten free, etc. etc. we are soon planning to discontinue the breakfast baskets all together.

I hope your memories of your stay will be positive and you will return one day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#4 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Wellspring? Share your experiences!