“A little piece of paradise”
Review of Wellspring

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashford
Wellspring
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Naperville, Illinois
“A little piece of paradise”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Wellspring after a long day at Mt. Rainier. We had a little trouble finding it, as it is down a road that looks like a dead end. To make it more difficult, AT&T apparently doesn't have service in the area, so we had to go to Ashford (past Wellspring) to figure out where we were going. When we got there, we had to drop off our luggage at our cabin (Tioga), then park the car in the parking area. The walk was short, so that really wasn't a problem. The cabin was magical! There was a hammock in the loft, a large whirlpool tube, king size bed, and fireplace. Even though there was a cabin just next door, we didn't hear a thing. In the morning, as we were headed to our car, another guest asked if we had gotten our breakfast basket. They said that they found theirs in the refrigerator in the men's washroom. There was not one there with our cabin name, and we didn't get anything on our doorstep. I honestly still don't know if we were supposed to get breakfast or not. Lack of communication is the reason that Wellspring didn't get 4 stars. The accommodations and setting were absolutely gorgeous. Go down the road to the Copper Creek Restaurant for breakfast or dinner.

1 Thank LaurieM505
SUNNY1432, Owner at Wellspring, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
The breakfast baskets at Wellspring are given to guests who are in cabins or rooms that do not have a nice big kitchen. I'm sorry that some other guest made that a confusion for you !
To be honest, with all of the special preferences people have now, dairy free, gluten free, etc. etc. we are soon planning to discontinue the breakfast baskets all together.

I hope your memories of your stay will be positive and you will return one day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Portland, OR
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I spent a night in the Treehouse, which I loved. It is cute, fun, and great for a one person retreat, but it is really tiny, so I'm not sure two large-ish people would be comfortable. Also, you have to climb a ladder to get up to it, so I wouldn't recommend this room for anyone but the sure-footed.

The spa in the Greenhouse is very nice, but although you can reserve it all to yourself, I think the people in the Turiya suite can see you (and your private/naked soak) a bit because it is next to it. That suite looks beautiful from the outside. A Japanese garden, a hot tub after 9 until checkout -- pretty sweet. I also saw the Grace West room from a distance, and that looks even nicer because its hot tub is away from everything.

Despite the beautiful, intimate surroundings, the contact and reservations system is a little weird and impersonal. When you call, you get a phone tree. I tried to reserve a massage several days in advance by leaving a message, and nobody got back to me. I called again the day before I was to come, and still no answer. Then, if you get the reservations agents, they have no idea about what the accommodations are like except for number of beds and bathrooms and couldn't tell me if the spas were indoor or outdoor. For an inn with fewer than 20 rooms, it is a bit off-putting. Who and where are these agents? They obviously have not been trained very well, much less ever been to Wellspring. It seems like some sort of multi-inn reservations system, whose vibe is very different than the relaxing vibe at the place itself.

Also, another guest on-site whose heat was making a squealing noise was trying to contact the manager through the "red phone" at the entry kiosk. He was connected to the reservations system, who then couldn't contact her. Again, weirdly impersonal for such a mellow, hospitable place. I told him to knock on a door and see if that was the manager's house -- something like that should be an option, or some sort of direct line for emergencies.

However, I think the manager/owner does do a good job. When I arrived, there were a bunch of yahoos getting drunk and playing lame Hootie and the Blowfish kind of music at the Lodge. I was dreading the derailment of my evening plans for chilling out in solitude. Thankfully, someone (probably the manager) told them to knock it off and they left. I was relieved, as were the rest of the guests, I'm sure, so thanks!

All in all, an interesting, cozy place, with beautiful rough-hewn woodwork and a semi-hippie yet rustic upscale vibe. If you can help it, try to do all of your reserving online -- the annoying phone system needs work!

Room Tip: The rooms with the outdoor hot tubs look really nice, but the tubs aren't private until after 9p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Berkeley, California, United States
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've been going to Wellspring since shortly after it opened, when Sunny had her massage practice and the hot tubs, but no lodging. We would stop after a long day (or days) of hiking to be refreshed. Over the years, she has added the cabins a couple at a time. The beds are comfy, and the atmosphere is much like being on retreat in the wilderness, with tall, mossy trees, forest flowers, and quiet all around. We will continue to go to Wellspring whenever we get the chance. In a way, I don't want to tell anyone about this wonderful place, because I might not be able to get a reservation the next time!

Room Tip: Each cabin is special and different, so make sure to read all the descriptions.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laughing_water_66
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Spent a peaceful night in the Turiya guesthouse at Wellspring. It was an anniversary celebration, and we wanted a chance to celebrate and immerse ourselves in nature. Wellspring delivered. The Turiya was a peaceful place - complete with a little waterfall out the window, a babbling brook, and a reflection pond right outside the glass doors. The grounds are beautiful, and without the interruptions of a phone, internet or cell coverage, peace is present.

Wellspring isn't a five star hotel. Not all units are the same. There's no concierge, and not even a front desk. Just a red phone. No TV, no internet, no wifi. If that sounds too quirky for you, maybe Wellspring isn't the right spot. If that sounds intriguing, then check out the website and see what I mean. Our experience was very positive, and the visit was all that we hoped.

We will definitely be back, and will consider the 4 seasons special... if you spend a night during summer, fall, and winter, then the spring visit is free (you can start with any season - essentially the 4th visit is free). Better yet, you have two years for the three visits. Come see the vision of the owner, Sunny, and prepare to be relaxed. We didn't get a massage, but have heard from friends that they are truly wonderful.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

2 Thank YetAnotherTraveler
Spokane, WA
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We spent two nights in the Tamarack cabin. It was gorgeous. So nice to have a kitchen so that we didn't have to spend money going out for every meal. There were games and books in one of the drawers, along with past guestbooks for that particular cabin going back to 2003 (maybe even earlier?). We had fun skimming the notes that previous guests had left - everyone seemed very happy with their stay.
The grounds are beautifully kept and each cabin feels secluded and private. We are considering having our wedding there next summer. We would definitely recommend this place and we would return in a heartbeat!

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in April 2013, one night in the tree house and one night in the guest room attached to the sauna. The tree house was very cute and cozy--the full/queen size bed didn't quite fit all the way and the bottom corners (foot of the bed) of the mattress were up at an angle which made us both squish into the center of the mattress. I woke up with a slight back ache. Also, when the wind blows, the tree house creaks so loudly that I was afraid it was going to fall out of the tree! So, not a great night of sleep, but for the uniqueness of the experience it was okay. The space heater kept clicking off for some reason, but we were able to get it to stay on long enough to be somewhat warm. Oh, and there was a spider on the bed, so be sure to check before snuggling in!

The guest room was nice and warm, with a lovely view of the huge trees in the back. Very comfortable bed. We tried to use the sauna, but after 1.5 hours of burning wood in the stove, it only got up to about 90 degrees. Not even enough to get steam going from the rocks. We did use the hot tub, and that was nice. Each room has a journal where past guests have written why they were there, and how they liked it. Seemed like a lot of people had "memorable first experiences" in the treehouse, which kinda grossed me out. I don't want to think about that! And then I wonder how clean the sheets are! ha

All in all, it was a good stay due to the guest room being cozy and having a comfy bed and access to the hot tub. As others have noted, the breakfast basket is pretty sad. I don't like yogurt, so I had the cheese stick, sad little pastry, and apple juice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeeJe8989
Lakebay, WA
Reviewed April 16, 2013

For our upcoming 25th wedding anniversary, my husband and I decided to make reservations at Wellspring after receiving extremely rude telephone customer service from the owners at StormKing Spa & Resort (By the way...Thank-you StormKing for rudely stating that we would be happier somewhere else! We absolutely were!).

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 my husband and I stayed in the Tamarack cabin. It was absolutely beautiful, warm and comfortable! The California King size bed enveloped you in warmth with flannel sheets and thick comforters. They had prepared our cabin by having the heat on and a wood fire ready for us to start in the elaborate river rock fireplace at the foot of the bed.

We had also booked 2 1 hour massages, as well as a Sauna and hot tub experience. We were treated with warmth and kindness above and beyond! The whole experience started with Kerri our reservations specialist. She was awesome! She was friendly, patient, and helpful in making our anniversary plans the best possible! She even wished us a happy anniversary and ensured us we would not be disappointed...she was right!

Diane (the housekeeper) met us with kind words and told us the cabin was all ready for our arrival and to let her know if we needed anything! She made sure we had plenty of firewood outside the door and let us know where we could get more if we ran out (which we didn't). She did an fantastic job!

Sunny (the owner of Wellspring) came and introduced herself to us and let us know she would be the one giving us our massages when we were ready. She absolutely is a hidden gem! She provides an atmosphere of relaxation and calm. The utmost zen experience! Her top-notch massages were just what we needed!

Her massage room is in a beautiful setting with soothing music and privacy. The sauna room adjacent to the massage room is private and has a large picture window which provides views of the forest. When we were in the sauna, two deer decided to come in to view to graze in the lightly falling snow. What a wonderful site! After the sauna, we went just outside the massage room and up a very small path to the hot tub under a gazebo. Again, the whole area is very private. We sat in the hot tub protected from the falling snow and became immersed in the beauty of the forest.

The whole experience could not have been more perfect! Thank-you Sunny and staff for the wonderful warm welcome and experience! It was a magical 25th anniversary!

Room Tip: All of Wellsprings cabins are private and beautiful...it depends on what you are looking for.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#4 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Wellspring? Share your experiences!