“Delicious Food, Beautiful Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Moat House

The Moat House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Acton Trussell
England
“Delicious Food, Beautiful Location”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had eaten here before last August and having really enjoyed that experience, decided to repeat it. We were not disappointed.
It was the evening of Bank Holiday Monday and the place was very busy, outside all the tables around the lake were taken, but we had no problem getting a table indoors. They told us at the bar, the food would take a bit longer than normal as they were extremely busy. This was fine - it did take a while, but it was worth the wait.
I had a chicken dish which was absolutely delicious, beautifully presented and just the right portion size. My husband had gammon and chips with a duck egg on top - again, this looked rustic but delicious and he enjoyed it. Our son ate pasta with garlic bread from the children's menu which was good too.
Service was excellent, the staff were friendly and attentive, and we enjoyed a quick stroll in the gorgeous grounds afterwards. The setting of this place by the lake is just stunning, especially if the sun is shining. Would definitely recommend eating here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed for a night and had a wonderful time. Beautiful bedroom, great service and the dinner was amazing, fine dining and fantastic value for money at £30 per person for 4 courses and coffee. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We attended a wedding reception and stayed overnight 4th May. The staff were friendly and helpful, all the service staff e.g. reception, waiters, waitress and bar was excellent. The food for both the wedding reception and breakfast was 1st class everything was perfectly cooked. The view from our room was very nice over looking the canal, the bed was comfortable and the room was very clean and decorated to a high standard. There were toiletries in the bathroom and plenty of lovely soft towels.

The gardens and pools are well kept and it was lovely sunny day so we were to be able to sit outside and we enjoyed walking around the gardens
I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it, even though it is expensive. We will be going again very soon for a Sunday lunch or afternoon tea.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Myself and a friend went to the Moat House for afternoon tea today. I would recommend it if you want to give someone a treat it is well worth it. Service was good ,staff were friendly lovely setting with the sun shining into the conservatory.We had a lovely selection of sandwiches and cakes and a choice of teas.A lovely walk around the grounds made for a really pleasant afternoon .

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Have eaten several times in this hotel and had family events too. Always excellent food in the restaurant although can be a bit of a limited choice in the bar.

Service is always excellent In the restaurant too. On my last visit I had salmon followed by steak, cooked to perfection, and a wonderful creme brûlée to end. My husband enjoyed his soup and steak too and thought the chocolate dessert was excellent. Teenagers, no problem they were very happy with their choices too. Could not fault anything about the meals at all

Waiters/waitresses excellent as is front of house etc

Have also had lunch recently in the bar area and whilst the food was good the attitude of the serving staff is not. Very brusque on both occasions, dismissive and unfriendly. The first time I thought it was a bad day perhaps, the second time I assume it is the norm. A smile and a welcoming retort might be nice

Overall though a nice place to be

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Moat House, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor about the Moat House. I am pleased that you have enjoyed dining in our restaurant but perturbed to find that your experience in our Bar is not to your satisfaction. I have passed your comments on to my Operations Manager and your comments have identified an area that we need to deal with, with immediate effect.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

Chris Lewis
London
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Orangery Restaurant for my mother's birthday. Before arrival, the reception staff I spoke to on the phone were courteous, helpful and professional. We sat in the restaurant rather than bar; it is located in a delightful conservatory surrounded by well tended gardens. We had the lunch menu: the three starters we had were excellent, as were the main courses and desserts. I particularly enjoyed the trio of pork, with one of the tastiest and most delicate black puddings I have eaten and a delicious piece of belly with crisp crackling on top. It was beautifully arranged on the plate in the modern style. The service was very good - attentive, prompt and well mannered despite the restaurant being full.

All of this for £20 a head, which being used to London prices I found excellent value. Overall, I felt the restaurant matched many of the better London restaurants I have visited in terms of food, ambiance and service, while being considerably cheaper. I shall return, maybe to break a journey north. It is very close to the M6, and a far superior alternative to motorway food.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A big thank you to the staff and chefs at the Moat House Hotel I had a wonderful night, the food superb, the Colin Lewis Suite looked fantastic service exceptional,my phone is red hot from all my guests sending texts saying the best food and service they have had
If you have a special day to celebrate I would recommend you couldn't go anywhere better than the Moat House.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
BEST WESTERN Stafford M6/J14 Tillington Hall Hotel
Premier Inn Stafford North (Hurricane) Hotel
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to The Moat House? Share your experiences!