Only went for lunch, did not stay so my comments only relate to the restaurant not the hotel. Good points: pleasant attentive staff, nice surroundings.
Not so good: all looked good until we sat down, the long tablecloth hid dust and crumbs on the floor. We were early at 12 midday so must have been from breakfast or worse the night before.
The food: the soup other people in our party had was described as excellent, well presented and tasted very good. The flakes of Loch Duart salmon tart (salmon and broccoli quich by another name) was tasty but the pastry was 'hard'. The Salmon main course was over cooked as was the duck breast. The person taking the order was at pains to point out that the duck was served pink but sadly it was not though it was nicely presented The butternut squash pithiver looked more like a round pasty and lacked flavour. It was not appropriate to make comment at the time as we were treating a guest to lunch but when the chocolate and hazelnut torte arrived it was so heavy that even our guest and I sent it back and exchanged it for a poached pear tarte which was much better.
This set menu 3 course meal was thirty pounds per head which does not appear bad value and had the food been of a higher standard then it would have been reasonable. However we have just had a four course set menu lunch at Parnell's in Birmingham for £30 per head and it was exceptional without fault. So in our opinion the Moathouse is a nice place with pleasant staff, let down by the kitchen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Moat House Staffordshire, an independent, family run hotel with four coveted AA stars....a unique and very special place. The luxury Moat House Hotel boasts a canal side location in the picturesque village of Acton Trussell. It extends a warm family welcome which guarantees industry leading professionalism and service. Whether your need is for accommodation, fine dining, a wedding venue or the best in corporate hospitality, our beautiful, historical buildings provide the perfect solution. Close to junction 13 of the M6 and within a short drive of Stafford, The Moat House combines a taste of history with leading-edge facilities and unrivaled service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, LateRooms and Odigeo so you can book your The Moat House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Moat House Acton Trussell Hotel Acton Trussell
- Moat Hotel Acton Trussell
- The Moat House Acton Trussell, UK - Staffordshire