“What A Charming Hotel”

Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Churchill
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The staff are excellent, the chef immaculate and all were so friendly and helpfull. Breakfast was multi choice full english,continental,smoked salmon and scrambled egg, smoked haddock. Tea, coffee, toast and jam. Lovelly food and we were well tended to.

We had one evening meal and that too was very good indeed.We ventured out on our second evening to a local pub but food was so poor, we wished we'd have stayed at the hotel to eat.

Very quiet during our stay. The locals really don't know what they are missing so get up there and have yourselves some nice food instead of that local excuse for good food.

Lovelly comfortable room, bed was great and room warm. Only critisism is, the shower mixers are not the best quality and go hot and cold on you and the hot is hot! Some Grohe quality ones would sort that out I'm sure.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you very much for the review that you left for Lyncombe Lodge Hotel and Restaurant. It is always great to hear when someone has enjoyed their trip so much that they take the time to share their experience with others.

We appreciate your comment about the shower and im sorry to hear that you experienced problems with it. We have been having issues with our boiler and I have been told that this has now been resolved.

If you wish to stay with us again or would be interested in receiving future deals and special offers please don't forget to visit our website and sign up to our newsletter. We have some great deals that you may be interested in for your next visit.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here on a kgb deal. Always a little apprehensive when buying a deal like this whether you'll still get the service. We absolutely did!!! Lyncombe lodge was delightful. The sat nav took us right to the door. When the website says local attractions, avon ski centre is on the door step-thats no joke, you drive under the slope to approach the car park, so even if you don't have a sat nav, you can follow the ski centre signs. We were pleasantly greated on reception, asking if we'd had a good journey, directed to our room, and offered help with our bags. We stayed in room 7, very nice. Comfortable double bed, tea/coffee and kettle provided. Shower was not very powerful-but that may just be personal preference? So i had a bath instead :).

The three course meal we had in the resturant was amazing!! Service & presentation 11 out of 10!! As others have said in previous reviews, regret not going there on the second night. Although our meal was included, the prices were reasonable. I had duck, then lamb, then treacle tart and my partner had onion soup, steak & cheesecake. The portion sizes were just right and the presenation & taste was outstanding!! Breakfast was also very similar, both having the full english-very high quality.

Although we're not really 'into' walking the location seemed perfect for those who do. We drove to Weston Super Mare, only about a 15 minute drive, and were kindly advised by hotel staff how to get there and where to park.

Overall a lovely, relaxing time. Highly recommend! Thank you to all of the staff for the experience.

• Stayed: November 2012
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

It means a lot to us to have such nice comments written about the hotel and the staff. I will make sure they all see your lovely review, and get someone to check the shower to see if there is anything that can be done about it. Thank you for drawing our attention to it.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

There are times in life when one may feel truly blessed and very fortunate.
My wife and I have just returned from an exquisite stay at Lyncombe Lodge celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary.
I feel blessed firstly that she has stuck with me for so long and even more so that she appears to want to continue the arrangement. I feel further blessed that I chose Lyncombe Lodge in the hope it would be a fairly romantic little Inn which would meet a few basic requirements by way of decent food, ambiance and general hospitality.
I can tell you, Lyncombe Lodge Didn't meet those needs ....it gave us a whole new level of outstanding food, ambiance and very stylish hospitality.
Dear reader I feel hugely fortunate for another reason entirely.
We checked in around 3.00pm on Sunday 11th November and thank-you thank-you thank-you God... It seems that you performed a miracle for my wife and I.
It seems you persuaded the vastly over weight and hugely revolting Mr John r ( see the nasty spiteful pack of lies in the review below) to check out before we arrived, (a day early)... and to take his vastly over weight and hugely revolting wife with him!!!
Consider that for good fortune....., we didn't have to sleep in the same building as them nor eat from the same kitchen as them....and hopefully we missed them with sufficient time, that we didn't even have to breathe the same beautiful fresh Somerset air as them........ Praise the Lord!!!!!!
You may wonder how, if we haven't met, I can be so scathing about Mr John r and the long suffering Mrs John r.
Oh but dear reader, I do do do know all about Mrs and Mrs John r.................we all do!!!
We have all seen them or at least their exact stereotypes.
Go to any "all you can eat" £ 3.75 carvery pub for a cheap and cheerful bargain and .....there are Mr and Mrs John r causing mayhem at the front of the queue, abusing the staff and trying to balance 37 Yorkshire puddings on top of plates of food piled so high, the Millennium Dome resembles a size 36 c Bra Cup by comparison!!!!
Likewise, we are guaranteed to see them at the head of the queue in the £ 9.95 "all you can eat" Chinese Buffet Restaurant, again abusing the normally charming Chinese staff, holding Millennium Dome like piles of food, containing of course a whole gastronome sized serving dish worth of King Prawns....and of course leaving none for any one else!!!!
Oh yes, Overweight Mr and Mrs John r and their like are world class at squeezing a bargain until the pips squeak.and complaining so loudly and viciously any self respecting coal bucket would blush.
But rejoice dear fellow TripAdvisor reader .........let me point out another miracle which should make us all feel truly blessed.
I quote, overweight Mr John r in his libellous review .............. " I would never stay here ( Lyncombe Lodge) again".
Yes dear reader......these people have promised never to darken the door of lovely Lyncombe lodge again.
Rejoice rejoice rejoice, this little jem of a hotel is all ours now to enjoy at leisure with no fear of bumping into those "guests from hell".
And should Mr and Mrs John r ever change their mind and visit Lyncombe Lodge while you are there, stay calm, point at them and say..........."LIAR", then look up to the heavens and say, "sort them out God".......... and I promise your troubles will be ended!!!

N.B, contrary to what you may infer from these thoughts of mine, I am not remotely religious but thanks to being spared from these people I now believe in miracles!!!

To finish
A very big thank you
to Nick the Manager, for a wonderful room with a view, restaurant service with real style and an overall stay with true charm.
To Anne for a lovely check in and first evening (what times your anniversary sir!!!)
To Chef for truly 1st class food
and to all the stunning morning ladies who seemed to be doing all the hard, work serving breakfast, servicing the rooms and keeping the hotel spotless, with such charm and style.

Thanks guys

Room Tip: Ask if Room 4 is available.....it is truly charming but all of the rooms in the main hotel looked ve...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you very much for the review that you left for Lyncombe Lodge Hotel and Restaurant. It is always great to hear when someone has enjoyed their trip so much that they take the time to share their experience with others and your comments and kindness are overwhelming. I have passed on all of your kind words to our staff. It is just the boost they need after a recently receiving some unfounded negative comments.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We've just spent a delightful couple of days touring the area south of Bristol, with the Lyncombe Lodge hotel as our base. Our room was well appointed and comfortable, although the noise of a pump motor (from a refrigeration unit?) every 15-20 minutes meant that we needed to keep our window closed. The breakfasts were ideal (black pudding outstanding) and the evening meal on our first night was of a very high standard. I regretted the fact that we had pre-booked a meal elsewhere for our second night. The bar is well stocked and fairly priced. Overall, the hotel, although apparently in the middle of nowhere, is well positioned for visiting Weston-Super-Mare, Bath, Wells, Wookey Hole and Cheddar Gorge. It's also very convenient for an overnight stay prior to a flight from Bristol Airport. Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you very much for the kind review that you left for Lyncombe Lodge Hotel and Restaurant. It is always great to hear when someone has enjoyed their trip so much that they take the time to share their experience with others.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked this on a 2 night KGB deal, with breakfast and a 3 course meal on 1 night included, we had read that the hotel was in a rural setting, however were not expecting it to be in the middle of nowhere and the car park to be accessed through a dirt road, which became swampland in the rain. When we 1st arrived we were shown to room 14, a lodge room, which we had originally requested, however, the room was sub standard, the shower was filthy, I wouldn't have showered my dogs in there, my wife immediately asked for someone to come and clean it, admittedly, within 5 minutes a lady arrived and we were moved to the main hotel, however, we were upstairs, and there was no lift,the stairs were very steep, with a perilously loose banister rail, so we took our life in our hands each time we used them. The interior of the hotel looked like it had not been decorated since the 80's, and the bedroom itself was not even on par with a days inn / travel lodge, especially the bathroom, no power shower, and the bath set so low, could have been designed for a child, the wi fi signal was intermittent at best, and all in all we were disappointed, even for the price we paid. Now to the restaurant, and trust me, I am being very generous calling it a restaurant, when the menu arrived , my wife had a mushroom starter, while I had smoked trout, and I had a lamb entree where my wife opted for the sirloin steak, now yes we are on the large side, however are usually perfectly satisfied with normal portion sizes, however, my wife was served a singe mushroom, the size of a 2 pence coin, with some brie on top, my starter was average, though at least larger than my wife's, the main course again was tiny, my wife had opted for a very well done steak, however the item that came out, was flat as a pancake and looked as if it had been mauled by a dog, and the triple cooked chips, all 6 of them, came straight out of the freezer, and had been fried in the cheapest of oils, my main again was ok, but very small, dessert, for me was cheese board with homemade pickle, which turned out to be Sharwoods mango chutney, straight from the jar, my wife opted for the special sounding, ice cream, with biscuits and meringue, wow it was special, 3 thumb sized scoops of ice cream, the biscuit and meringue was a bit of dust underneath the ice cream, how this meal was worth the £60 the hotel would have charged off the menu prices I will never know, we were still hungry and headed off for a takeaway.
The bed in the room was way too soft and the pillows need changing as are totally flat, now onto breakfast, our deal included a full English which was access to the continental selection as well as a fully cooked option, my wife ate some off the mini danish, which were just the generic ones you can buy from any supermarket, and went for some fruit juice, as the menu promised a selection, the only juice available was orange, which tasted as if it was a powdered juice that you make up with water, when we asked if there was any other juice we were told we could have a bottle of pineapple, however when this was brought out it was brown and looked awful so we just left it, the cooked breakfast itself, was so bad we were unable to eat it, there were puddles of oil under all the items, and the quality of the food, was from the budget brand of one of the cheaper supermarkets, have had better from a local pub. We spent the day out of the hotel, and because of the issues above decided against staying the extra night, when I advised the lady on reception that we were checking out, she told me there was a £5 supplement each for the evening meal, as we had gone over our allowance, there is nothing in the KGB info on this, so I refused to pay it, on reflection I wonder if this is a tactic by the hotel to raise extra revenue, and how many guests had paid this without question.
In conclusion, this is a very standard hotel, with very misguided ideas of grandeur, with sub standard food at exorbitant prices, I would never stay here again.

1  Thank john r
Amy H, Marketing Coordinator at Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for the review that you have written us and I’m very sorry to hear that your stay was not as you were expecting.

We take all of our customer reviews very seriously and are astounded to hear your thoughts regarding our hotel. I would like to personally address this matter and each of your points in turn. Please email me at amy@lyncombelodge.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just spent two nights at Lyncombe Lodge as part of a KGB deal. The staff were particularly helpful at all times and the quality of food very good, all prepared from fresh.
The hotel was a bit quiet while we were there, only 3 rooms occupied, but I understand it is usually much fuller.
The setting is ideal, right next to a ski slope, if that is what you want, but also close to lots of really good walking, such as Cheddar Gorge and the Mendips.
For what we paid, a fantastic value stay

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We came across an offer for a weekend break at this hotel via TimeOut, London.

After a fairly long drive in the rain, we were greeted by very polite staff who were eager to help. There was a slight problem with our booking, but it was all resolved very quickly and I didn't mind having two separate beds instead of one. The evening meal was supposed to include a bottle of house wine, but due to the mix up we were given a bottle of bubbly instead. Lovely!

The room was lovely. A little on the cosy side, but very clean and the decor was lovely. The bathroom was also a little small, but more than sufficient for a weekend stay for two.

The food was very impressive. I only wished I could have fit more in!

Overall it was a very lovely stay and I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Churchill
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Penscot Inn
Penscot Inn
#1 of 1 in Shipham
Best Western Walton Park Hotel

Been to Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!