All reviewslambthe publeopard hillsspice routeen provenceparis roomroman roadfish and chipswine listwell worth a visitsteep stairslovely foodmade us feeltwo night staycooked breakfastlovely weekendfriday night
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights across the August bank holiday. And quickly found that our first impressions were correct as this little gem was everything we had hoped and more.

This is a fantastic location (very central) to surrounding attractions and historic villages etc.
The rooms here are all decorated to different world themes. We stayed in 'Leopard Hills' which was beautifully designed with a four poster bed and traditionally styled en-suite bathroom.

The staff here are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. If you stay here an absolute MUST is to eat in the restaurant at least once during your stay, it won't disappoint. The menu is small in terms of choice, but this obviously means they are able to execute each dish beautifully. I had Lamb Rump with Lyonnaise Potatoes, beans and Lamb Jus, which second perfect timing in the cooking had obviously led to the meat simply melting in the mouth! I commented that I can't ever remember eating such perfectly cooked food (I pride myself on my cooking and we eat out posh, a lot!) Initially, we thought that the price of £16 (approx.) a plate was a little expensive, but on eating it, we both agreed that a similar dish in London or the South East would be in excess of £25 a plate.

We found out while we were there that the future of the place is un-certain however, as the current lease holders have purchased a freehold at the other end of the village and so will be leaving this one when their lease runs out in 2/3 years time. Which is sad as they are doing a wonderful job and although we tried their new place for drinks one evening, it was a little too light and modern for our taste. So the rules are, take advantage of this super B&B/Pub/Restaurant while it is still with the present management!

The only negative points I am able to make about our experience are really personal choice issues more than anything else, and they are that we found the sausage served with breakfast a bit herby for a breakfast sausage (would have preferred a straight forward butchers or Cumberland recipe). And we found the bed/mattress a little hard, but we have a memory mattress at home, so we find this everywhere to a point!

We shall definitely be back! And we have decided not to share the name of the place with our friends and family to ensure that it remains our secret get-away. Looking forward to many more visits in the future.

Delightful!

Room Tip: They have great photos of all the rooms on their website. We booked through booking.com, but I will book directly next time, as it is very slightly cheaper for some reason(?)
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at The Lamb Inn and what a great choice! We stayed in the Spice Room which was very tastefully decorated, but as some previous reviews have stated, I would advise choosing one of the others for your stay if you don't like background noise.

Food was good and the staff were very pleasant especially the owner who made the effort to spend time with her guests.

Highly recommended. Very good value for money and a fantastic location for the beautiful sites of the Cotswolds.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We booked a table for two tonight as we have won a voucher in our little girls school event for the Wednesday night pie night. We went very open minded as I remember the pub from my school days and reading the older reviews on here, were not sure quite what to expect.
We were greeted by friendly staff and shown a table. Not the best position, but I'm glad we did book as it was packed.
Pie night brings visions of a couple of pastry heavy pies and chips. NOT HERE. There were approx 6 pies on the menu with some being pastry topped and mine cheesy mash topped.
Very well thought about, with the choice of two starters ( Both fish ), then the pies and two deserts.
I was full after, which is rare, and on a price point deal, usually these things are measured small. Not so. There was plenty, and lovely fresh, well cooked veg complimented the main well.
Not sure on the complimentary sangria ( Why? Half a pint or small wine would have been better )
Very good level of service, there but not bothering you. Very good food. Very good ambiance and very good beer.
We will be back, and will try the sister Wychwood pub down the road too.

1  Thank GreatFind_Cotswolds
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This lovely Inn, tucked away secretively up a little lane off the main road from Burford to Chipping Norton, is well worth the effort to find! Always service with a smile at the Lamb Inn in our experience, and the outside garden is wonderful on a balmy summer night!
The decor, ambience, service,food,real-ales,beers & wines are all superb, and it has remained so for a number of years that we have been calling in whilst passing. We really need to spend a night or two here, as I'm sure that it will be delightful also, and will plan this for our autumn tour of the Cotswolds.

Room Tip: We have not had the pleasure of staying here yet, however,I believe that any room at the Lamb Inn will ensure a wonderful night, as the area is secluded and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Room was excellent (French room) although there was insufficient hot water for a bath which was quite disappointing. Pub served excellent food and the breakfast was good. Nice location to be able to walk into the village and surrounds.

• Stayed: May 2013