“Not burnt - but definitely overcooked!”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Bishops Stortford offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I don't eat frozen or chilled pizzas but I have always loved Pizza Express. Sadly today changed my mind. I asked for the La Reine Pizza with the olives replaced by more mushrooms (well the olives didn't appear ... but neither did the extra mushrooms). As this is a favourite of mine, I was suprised by its appearance when it arrived! The edges were close to being burnt and the topping looked like lunar landscape. The cheese had an odd chewy texture and was not as I remember it (from 2 weeks ago). I don't like complaining, but I waited for the 'is everything ok for you?' visit from the waiter/waitress - this didn't come until I had finished my meal (leaving a substantial amount on the plate) When asked 'was everything ok for you' I replied "not really, it was not as tasty as I expected and was overcooked" to which the waitress response was - "oh I am sorry". However, I still received the full bill with no other comment. Sorry Pizza Express - I won't be visiting your Bishop's Stortford restaurant again!

There are newer reviews for Pizza Express

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I very much agree with the last reviewer, who like myself, has been going to this Pizzaexpress for many years. After today's meal there, we are wondering if it's time to find somewhere else to eat.
We arrived there about 4.00pm to an empty venue, so you would think that service and timing would be great. How wrong. Took ages to order, where was our waiter? When meal arrived after a long wait, it was a different waiter. Another lady took the plates away and we then waited for our waiter to appear to order some desserts but he never arrived. My very patient husband finally had enough and decided that we'd just go. Even took a while for the waiter to appear again for the bill!
For the first time ever there was no tip. Oh, actually, the best tip - good service from one waiter with a smile goes a long way..........
So we ended up getting some scrummy cakes from Waitrose and eating them at home with a lovely cup of tea.
One thought: The staff at this Pizzaexpress seem to have all changed and maybe this could be the problem as whenever you went there you always saw the same staff.
We should have said something and I may go back in there during the week to speak to the Manager.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have been visiting the Bishops Stortford Pizza Express for years with our children but think our visit yesterday will be our last. We had booked for 5pm and were left waiting at door for several minutes without acknowledgement. We were seated upstairs directly in front of a children's party which in itself was not great but with no other tables and three children of our own was not the end of the world until the parents turned up to collect their children and we were surrounded by adults one of which repeatedly knocked my 8 year old son in the head with her handbag. Not entirely down to the restaurant but not good management of tables! However when this is coupled with dirty floors, glasses and cold food it does not make a good impression. Poor service from grumpy staff who vanished once food was plonked on tables thinks we will not be visiting again.

1  Thank Zoe B
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Had a great experience in this restaurant. It was very busy for a Wednesday including a party of 23, but the service was still very good. Food was excellent, great choice and value. Only downside is its quite noisy in there, so I wouldn't suggest going if you are wanting a quiet romantic meal, have been quite a few times before and its always like that (wooden floors, no soft furnishings), so it wasn't just because the place was busy.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Food was good, but that was all. Table badly positioned upstairs next to clearing area, constantly having waitresses sorting dirty plates behind. Do not sit there! Maintenance was.poor, several lights out difficult to read menu. Waitress was not attentive and service was poor. Noise levels were high making conversation difficult. Make sure you look for vouchers, we had none!

1  Thank John H