“Double booked so left me stranded” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woodlands Lodge

Woodlands Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bishops Stortford
Woodlands Lodge
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Double booked so left me stranded”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Arrived 1030 at night to be told by the duty staff that there was no room despite my booking. They did not offer assistance to find alternate room just basically "Your not staying here".
At 11 at night in a strange place not the best time to be trying to find a bed for the night.

Eventually at midnight found the Days Inn Hotel just off the motorway. Staff took pity on me and gave me a room with breakfast at standard rates rather than last minute booking rate.

Given terrible customer service AND they still took my money which Bookings.com would not refund I cannot think of any reason to recommend this place.

Room Tip: Arrive early so you get one before they sell it to someone else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family and I spent two not consecutive nights in this B&B, the first on our arrival in London and the second before flying back. We chose it because of its nearness to Stansted Airport and good price. We got in touch with two nice "employees", the first looking a little "absent-minded". Unfortunately both ignored our previous request to organize a transfer from/to the airport wich we had to arrange ourselves (by the way, this hotel can be reached from Stansted by taxi or by bus which is cheaper). The rooms (we tried 2 and 3) are equipped with a modern TV-set and the wi-fi connection works fairly well. Breakfast is 100% self service and the room is accesible only from 7:30 a.m. Leaving at 5 a.m., we'd been told we wuoldn't be allowed to have breakfast.

I think Woodlands Lodge is a good choice for a night before an early flight from Stansted.

Room Tip: We slept in rooms 3 (on our arrival in London) and 2 (the night before flying back) both nice with r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked 2 rooms for one night prior to a 9 am flight. One had a double bed and en suite. Mine had twin "beds" and a separate bathroom. I say "beds" because they were simply 2 mattresses stacked one on the other with a frame to hide the fact that's all they were. This meant that the "bed" was about 18" off the floor and when I lay down it curled up on me like I was a sausage in a bun. An elderly person or someone of limited mobility would have found it impossible. There was dirt behind the beds, empty shelf brackets (??), a decrepit lamp. It was cold. Smelled of stale cigarette smoke, despite no smoking policy. Unforgivable. We settled into a nearby pub that evening (The Nag’s Head is really nice) and stayed there as long as we could as we didn’t want to spend any time there.
When I asked if we could have breakfast before 7 am the guy flatly refused, saying he would be taking the breakfast out of the freezer tonight (in itself unsavoury-sounding), which in no way explained why he couldn’t let us access the continental breakfast anyway. If you have a hotel near an airport why on earth would you not cater for early risers?? It wasn’t as if we were getting up at 4 am! Needless to say there was no heating at that hour either. Couldn’t bring myself to shower in the morning due to the cold and squalid atmosphere.
Given that a taxi is £14 each way to the airport, get something nearer and better with your money. I’d rather spend more money on something half decent than pay with my sanity. Truly vile. AVOID!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Bishops Stortford hotels

Ripon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked for an overnight stay as this was marginally cheaper than others and close to where we needed to be. The building looks quite attractive from the outside but is neglected and shabby on the inside - dirty windows, walls and carpets, my husband sat (carefully) on the bed and it collapsed, the place was fully booked so the manager, who was pleasant enough but totally unconcerned, got him a small folding bed - needless to say he didn't get much sleep!

One of the reasons I chose this place was because breakfast was included, but we ended up spending more by having breakfast at Birchanger services, as we just wanted to get out of the b and b as soon as possible and the breakfast looked rubbish. It was advertised as a 'continental' breakfast but in reality all that was provided were nasty processed ham and cheese slices, cheap sliced white bread and cereals. It just felt like a flophouse for itinerant workers rather than a b and b for travellers, and on reflection I would rather have spent an extra 20 quid and had a decent night's sleep and a proper breakfast somewhere more civilized - but you live and learn!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura D
Skovde, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you are not driving your own car I do not recommend this place. It is advertised as convenient for Stansted Airport, which it is. BUT, I would have paid less in total if I'd stayed in a more expensive B&B a bit closer to the airport as transportation came to more than the cost of the room! No airport shuttle, and their taxi service was more expensive than the taxi I took from the airport! Other than that, pretty average. Really poor breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sheerness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We used the Lodge as a treat before a long flight from Stanstead. The place is very poorly signposted and looks nothing like the above picture. The room was small but clean with a fairly new bathroom. The bath end panel still had the ripped remnants of its lable stuck to it. Water in the shower was dangerously hot. The bed was uncomfortable to say the least. The mattress was so cheap and thin that as i moved i could feel and hear the metal grinding together within the fabric.The airplane seat was more comfortable. Breakfast was a buffet style do it yourself affair. It was very poor quality. Very cheap and tacky to look at and very poor value. Had to eat breakfast at the airport!!! Overall a poor nights sleep, a poor breakfast and will never return.

Room Tip: Try and get one of the few En-suite rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Salerno, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I would give four stars but the lack of freshness really puts me off.
The hotel it's not particularly dirty but very tired.
The carpet smells of sigarette smoke and dust.
The shower, as mentioned by other contributors, it's a all or nothing experience. Super cold or super hot.

The breakfast it's served only from 7.30 which is a bit pointless if you have an early flight. You don't miss much though, just cereals, milk, toasts and some cheap jam.

You have a mini fridge in the room that comes quite handy if you a yoghurt addict like I am.
The location it's extremely close to the airport. You could even walk. It's all pavemented and It would take 20 minutes if you are a fast walker. I did it.
Bishops Stortford town it's 2 miles away and it's quite a surprise! There are plenty of restaurants and even an Art Gallery that deserves a visit if you are there for more than a few hours.
The last note is about the noise complained by some guests.
The two double rooms are really close to the road BUT the major noise is caused by the planes taking off. You have double glazing! What else are you expecting?
Finally. would I stay there again? 20 million times YES!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Travelodge Stansted Bishops Stortford Hotel
Jolly Brewers Travel Lodge
Jolly Brewers Travel Lodge
#3 of 10 in Bishops Stortford

Been to Woodlands Lodge? Share your experiences!