“Love Dogs”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Virginstow
Oxfordshire
“Love Dogs”
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Just had a super mid week break at Percy's and would def. go there again. In fact we are quite tempted by their New Years Eve package

We took along our own black labs Flash and Willow who loved making new friends with the resident dogs. To be frank it is a perfect place to go with well behaved animals as the property is quite far back from the road so they can run around without fear of them being run over. Our room had direct access to the courtyard which mean't the dogs could be let out for their morning 'ablutions' without either of us having to dress - heaven

We were one of two couples staying and yes the dining room as quiet, but it did mean that Tina's approach to chef-ing was more laid back that it could have been if the hotel was full. My idea of heaven is being asked what I would like for my supper & it being remembered that I like a G&T before dinner

If you are two minds about whether to go having read other reviews change your minds immediately. It really is a lovely experience !!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Limited room service would have been great - e.g. a Sandwich at lunchtime
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LoveyOxon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London
Reviewed May 28, 2007

After some last minute searching, we found a deal on B&B at Percy's and escaped London and headed west. As promised on the website, we received a great reception from one of the labradors. We met Tina, and were shown into our room, which was clean and modern. DVDs were available to borrow, fruit and a sample of cake presumably made here, laid out ready. We'd read about the estate and headed out (wellies were indeed available) and followed one of the labradors around the grounds seeing the horses, piglets and woodlands - Very relaxing and exactly as we'd hoped.

But, in the evening we'd chosen to eat elsewhere. Here's where the problems became apparent. The proprieters take their food very very seriously. Arriving back at about 9:30, it was difficult to obtain attention for a quick drink at the bar, and I definitely felt we were interrupting Tony's dinner service.

Breakfast was very good (and fresh, we waited on the hens to lay) but served in a 'library' atmosphere where hushed voices whispered polite observations about the food.

Dinner the next day was slightly less formal and worked better - (we were fitting in with "the plan".) We arrived for pre-dinner drinks and ended up going for Toni's short but assertive recommendation for the Greek Red (okay surprisingly, but £24?). After chatting to the other guests, (one couple also not here specifically for the food, and another re-visiting the restaurant but not staying this time.) we headed in. Thankfully, there was some light background music, so not so hushed this time.

I felt good about the food (must be healthy - it's organic!), but the 'super orangey' duck was a bit of an shock at first. All in all, good but I've eaten better for the price.

Despite the contrived but very welcome hospitality (borrow our dogs, wander around as you like), Percy's desperately needs a friendly (human) face to great you. Just adding a lively part- time receptionist/barperson with a sunny disposition might make a dramatic difference and could help offset the formality, open up the experience and make it more about the guests.

I enjoyed my stay, but the hosts perhaps need to lighten up a little.

N.B. Take a 'do not disturb sign' , and maybe a travel iron as you don't have either and you're unlikely to be able to want to ask for them.

• Liked — the idea
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank agooday
London
Reviewed March 20, 2007

I'd been looking forward to this date for a couple of months. My grandfather's 80th birthday and the first time in a good five years or so, that the whole family had managed to get together. We'd all paid the £150 for the night each, and thought it would be well worth it. A night away in beautiful surroundings, with an acclaimed chef cooking organic produce from her own stock, and using vegetables and herbs from their gardens.

There were 10 of us in total, the "kids" took the seperate out building, which, granted, had its own kitchen, and each room its own bathroom as you'd hope. It did also home a HUGE living area with sofas and dining table, although I'm not sure you'd want to share with other couples whom you didn't know?

The evening meal was 50/50, the lamb and pork were, I have to admit - out of this world. Tender, organic, melt in the mouth delicious, but the rest left a lot to be desired. Breakfast too, wasn't up to much I'm afraid, and agree with an earlier comment about the sausages and too much garlic!

The hosts were very disappointing, although I think that could be more to do with the fact they appeared to be socially inept, as opposed to just rude. I think it was probably more ignorance than arrogance.

We had 5 different rooms throughout the hotel, and unfortunately only two of the 5 whirlpool baths "whirled" which was a shame, because it's things like this that they add on their website to string you in, and added extras that when dont work, cause disappointment.

I doubt very much I'd be going again. There are so many country hotels and restaurants to choose from, and I genuinely don't think this one is value for money, nor of a particularly high standard. A shame, as the potential was there.

• Liked — The fact we had our own kitchen
  • Disliked — It was very average
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ZeusnGoose
Devon, UK
Reviewed May 21, 2006

Visited Percy's for a romantic Dinner and overnight stay, the setting is very nice, peaceful and romantic. We stayed in the lavender room which was very nice and of a good size. It has a large comfy bed and very nice bathroom.

The hosts are very pleasant, made good conversation and overall have created a very nice Hotel and Restaurant which we would recommend.

However they are at the top end of the cost scale when it comes to charging, which is probably why they only had four tables on a saturday night for Dinner.

The Food is safe and of consistant quality so no complaints

The wine list is good although at these prices you would expect the wine to be breathing at the table - not opened and poured with the meal.

Nobody minds paying for top quality but they are not in that league.

Charging £350 for with an overnight stay with dinner and wine is a bit too rich even if you do grow the herbs in the garden and the pigs only have a field or two to travel to the kitchen !

Nice people, nice place, nice food but at these prices it is not special enough to be on the "lets return" list with so many other places to choose from.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Stonemasons
UK
Reviewed April 25, 2006

We've stayed here a couple of times now and often talk about when we can get down there again.

The good points ( and they really are very good ) :
Location - if you go for a walk around the estate it's very tranquil. You'll often be accompanied by a Labrador or 2 and there are several pairs of Wellington boots to borrow if you haven't brought your own. Also, it's a good starting point for exploring Devon or Cornwall being right on the border.
Bathrooms - well appointed and clean - no lime scale or damp as we've seen at some "top" hotels we've stayed at ( a certain Spa hotel in Bath springs to mind )
Food - is some of the best prepared & presented I've known. I don't normally like pate, but Tina's is great. Don't miss out on the fresh bread. The breakfast sausage is something unique.
Fresh filter coffee, real milk & home made biscuits are waiting in your room. None of this single portion Nescafe & UHT rubbish.

The down side :
The menu is limited and doesn't appear to offer much choice. Both times we've stayed the menu was the same for a Friday & Saturday night ( I guess some of this comes from using local, in season produce ).
The beds aren't that great ( to be fair they're not terrible, just not what you'd hope for ).

Would we stay there again or recommend it - definitely. What we really enjoy is the feeling that we're staying with relatives ( best way I can describe it ) - the owners don't want to become your new best friend, but they're their if you want for anything.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank Iain5Lewis
Bristol, England
Reviewed April 18, 2006

Just got back from a two day break at Percys. On arrival we were met by, what would turn out to be one of the highlights of our stay, two of the four beautiful black labradours that live at the house. At first we were given the wrong room by a receptionist/waitress who did not seem to speak english very well! This type of service always annoys me as you feel awkward from the off.
After settling in we were accompanied on a walk around the estate by one of the dogs, which made us feel like we belonged. The estate is magnificent, the horses, pigs, lambs and horses are all very friendly and the views are lovely.
We then went for dinner, my wife is pregnant and they did a great job in accomadating her dietry requirments, although it did seem a bit of a bind to them at times. The menu was a little limited but what there was,was well cooked and balanced. The breakfasts were very good also.
Although we had a relaxing time at percys, I do not think that I would go back again. The location is superb and the food is great, the problem that we found was the service, or lack thereof. For these prices one should expect the very best, what we recieved was only average. It is a shame as the ethos of Percys appeals to me and a lot of my peers and family, but from what I witnessed I will not be recomending it.

3 Thank TheClaydon
northampton
Reviewed February 8, 2006

OVERPRICED?
A fantastic setting. My partner appreciated the tour around the grounds given by Bonzo the black Labrador. Our room (The Lavender)was comfortable, but lacked atmosphere. It was a shame our suite wasn't decorated to the contemporary interior of the separate restaurant and bar area. Our room price for one night was the equivalent to one week's holiday in Spain so we expected utter indulgence, and I am sorry readers but that just wasn't the case here.

Our dining experience wasn't fantastic either, and I hate having to say this as the restaurant has won so many accolades (obviously not for the service). We dined with two other couples, there was no background music so we could all hear each other munching away and sharing uncomfortable silences. My partner asked the host for his opinion on the organic chardonnay we selected to go with our meal and his satirical response was "It goes well with food" Well surely the wine wouldn't have been included on the restaurant menu if it didn't go with food! So,we didn't ascertain much from that! Then we tucked into a second bottle (well, we were on holiday) and it was as though an alarm went off, and the host, who was somewhat belittling towards us immediately sent over a jug of water to dilute any possible effects of over indulgence.

The bizarre Rosemary flavored ice cream wasn't a hit with me. Neither were the homemade pork sausages served with the cooked breakfast the following morning. I would liken them to a raw beef burger reshaped into a sausage(I guess like a Kofter). They contained rather a disproportionate amount of garlic which repeated on us throughout the day. Maybe this was the hosts' revenge on a couple whom he thought would be hungover? Thank goodness for that jug of water after all!!

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank janethirtyone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginstow
Lewtrenchard Manor
Gidleigh Park
Gidleigh Park
#1 of 2 in Chagford
Fox and Hounds Country Hotel

Been to Percy's Hotel? Share your experiences!