“Great village pub”

Royal Standard
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Portscatho
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bristol
“Great village pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Good beer and cider, decent pub food, nice friendly owners, dog friendly too. Food and bar service was very quick. Difficult to find anything serious to moan about. The best bit is the owner is Bristolian and a Rovers fan, Goodnight Irene!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank SimonDGould

Ivybridge, United Kingdom
“Great food and good singing from the kitchen!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Ate here 2 nights when we were on holiday, hubby loved the mackerel and I had a great steak with one of the best pepper sauces ever! Friendly owners who treated our dogs with snacks, nice garden and great singing coming from the kitchen......Cornwall's got talent!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank KMD629
“Good food, good prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Love this place. We visited Portscatho three times last year and went to The Royal Standard quite a few times. I enjoyed it so much, this year on my birthday (also Valentines day!) the only place I wanted a meal was here! So we popped down for the night and ate here!
Amazing food- am yet to have anything average, let alone bad! Great portions and good prices. Big beer garden to enjoy summer evenings. Lovely atmosphere and the owners are really friendly. I wish it was closer, although it's probably a good thing for my waist it's not!! :D
Can't wait to come down in the next few months! :)

1 Thank Carly R
Knowle, United Kingdom
“Disappointing meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We visited this pub whilst in Portscatho on holiday. It professed to be dog friendly, but once inside the pub we were told dogs have to be on leads, even though she had been sitting quietly by our side. There is a nice garden to sit in, so we chose to eat there, alongside the pub dog. They only had one choice of bitter, which was horrible. There was a board of specials, so I chose the mackrel fillets which were OK, but the accompanying vegetables were very disappointing and insipid and not particularly well cooked. The lemony potatoes just had chunks of lemon chucked in. My husband had the rump steak which was not very tender with new potatoes. Apparently they don't do chips with anything, which was a bit strange, as he was looking forward to steak and chips!

Also there was quite a wait for our food. Certainly not good value. Don't think we will be going there again!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Claire H
Falmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Would not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

A lovely looking traditional pub. Cosy and inviting. Looks in this case were defiantly deceiving. The atmosphere was at best tepid. The service beyond slow. 20 minutes (I'm being generous) to be served a drink. 50 min wait for food that was not worth waiting for. We ate from the specials board. Special it was not. I ordered the fish pie. What I ate was a dry potato, cheese covered mess. The fish must have swum away whilst the "fresh veg" was being nuked. The other half ordered the fresh grilled mackerel. The last place this fish was seen swimming was the deep fat fryer.

Needless to say our experience was beyond disappointing.

The highlight however is the pub dog. I give one of my 2 out of five for him, and pray for his sake he doesn't get fed the food from the pub menu.

• Visited June 2014