“Good Pub”

Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Portscatho
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Plume of Feathers is a 17th century traditional Cornish coastal pub, offering hand pull beers and great food. On May 1st 2016 we opened our 5 en-suite B&B rooms above the Plume, the rooms are beautifully appointed and the convenience of being in the center of Portscatho is a great base to discover the Roseland. Colin & Paul Marriott, yes twins, you're not seeing double, took over the Plume from Graham Thomas in October 2013 after Grahams mighty 35 year reign and are indebted to him for his grace and support. His legacy of a friendly welcoming pub continues to be paramount.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

A good friendly pub with very decent food. Interested in rugby and very happy to chat and argue the toss about the international teams, their various skills and failings.

A very nice location close between the picturesque Cornish port and sandy/rocky Cornish beach.

1  Thank HooverGrogrom
There are newer reviews for Plume of Feathers

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I agree completely with the review from Laniley below. We both had crab cakes, which turned out to be from a Cash and Carry. No-one could make those at home. New potatoes had been reheated in a microwave, and the salad was nearing its sell by date. This for nearly a tenner is too much. Should have been warned by the little wooden container of sachets of mayo, salad cream, tomato sauce etc on the table. This is 2013 for goodness sake! Should also have been warned by the menu which looked suspiciously permanent, but promised local produce and a wait when busy. My friend's comment was 'lazy', and that sums it up. Go elsewhere.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was staying at a very "chi chi" Hotel not a million miles from Portscatho - and had experienced awful food and a very uncomfortable experience dining within their in-house restaurant. I very much wanted a more relaxed place for a lunch - and whilst out driving last Saturday, ended up in Portscatho- and as exhilarating as the bracing (ie wild) Cornish weather was, I popped in ad hoc to grab a bite of food at the Plume of Feathers. I had no expectations, but the customers and staff made for a very friendly welcome and I couldn't have been happier with the overall experience. I had the haddock and chips - which was an enormous portion and very tasty. I didn't feel the venue was dated at all (like one of the reviews below); what do you want when you visit a Cornish village - a chain pub, like you'd find in a city? Of course not. If anything, I loved the brick work and the lovely, tiny cellar bar. I ended up sitting eating in what was once a fireplace - and the man who ran the pub happily told me about the history of the place and what that whole cellar bar area once was (when they brewed their own ale in the 17th Century). Yes they do allow dogs as do most bars (and many cafes and bistros)in Cornwall.

I'd happily go back to the pub both for a drink and some food. It was a great meal and beat the "chi chi" hotel I was staying at, hands down.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

A group of 8 of us visited here last Saturday evening for dinner and drinks. We ordered a mixture of dishes - the haddock and chips that a few of us ordered were very tasty but the portions sizes varied quite a lot - some quite generous and some quite small. The 2 people in our group who ordered the crab cakes got the worst deal - they were so salty that they were almost inedible. The mussels were OK but were a bit on the pricey side for what you got. Half the group were ale lovers and we're a bit disappointed by the quality of the draught Tribute. The pub was quite full but our thoughts were that we probably wouldn't go back there in a hurry. A shame really as the pub has a lot of potential - it just needs to get it's food and drink sorted out.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We didn't eat here this year but we happily sampled the beer - Tribute is my favourite. A super ambiance, it's almost always fully booked if you arrive on spec in season. The food is great and they also do excellent takeaway fish'n'chips. Oh, and they have WiFi - means that if you're staying somewhere without it, you have the perfect excuse to go down the pub every day!