“Who designed simple things?????”

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Northboro, MA
“Who designed simple things?????”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

OK, a very good hotel. Friendly and accommodating staff, great food at the bar, quick check in, they waived the wireless fee, the place is beautiful, and they have a good shuttle service, which I used. No parking fees. But it is one of the stranger hotels I have visited in many years of travel:

- the bathroom was not only incredibly small, but had a huge set of shelves in the middle, making it very difficult to climb in and out of the tub
- the room itself did not have drawers for clothing (I was there several days) but recessed shelves which required a flashlight to use
- chairs in public areas were for five year olds; so close to the ground that a fairly tall person like me could not use them
- bar chairs were so low one's chin virtually rested on the bar (later I learned there were bar stools at another part of the bar)

My other quibble is that it took almost two days for the air conditioner to purge the room of humidity. I could find no adjustments. Hmmm. And, it sure would have been nice to have an indoor pool. The outdoor one was closed for the rest of the year

I did enjoy my stay, but I do think someone was drunk in the design phase.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
burlington, ny
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Got a upgraded room hate to see standard. Asked for a robe got a robe too small for all but a midget complained got the same. was told all we got. Westins used to be great this hotel was a few years ago not anymore word must be out only a couple dozen cars in the lot.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed August 2, 2009

In my quest to find the perfect NYC getaway, I think I've found my spot!

Located just an hour and 15 minutes from NYC by train (and the train ride is very pretty). I had an easy time getting to this hotel thanks to the hotel's Courtesty Shuttle. Can I just say that this is one of the greatest perks EVER for those traveling without a car! It's the next best thing to having family pick you up at the station. The driver, Mario, was very kind and helpful. Thank you, Westin!

And thank you to Mr. Olivera and Ms. Steele for assembling one of the most professional and eager-to-please Front Desk teams. I was greeted with a warm welcome and completely WOWED by their show-stoppingly beautiful lobby! Beautifully decorated and highlighted by HUGE vintage Chandeliers that are original to this Historic "Inn". My quiet room was on one of the SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) floors and it was huge. You can tell that the structure of the hotel hints to it's former identity as a Grand Historic Inn, probably for this reason, the rooms have not been overly decorated (wallpaper, etc) but the amenities (comfy bed, flat screen TV. coffee maker. etc) are purely modern. The bathroom is on the smaller side but remember, this site was an Inn, it was not built with large-scaled Jacuzzi's in mind! Trust me, the bathrooms are modern and fine. And this hotel is very clean. In-room snacks (couldn't resist the peanut M&M's), coffee maker with Starbucks coffee, it's all good at the WGM! (Westin. Gov. Morris!)

I asked for turn-down service which is sort of a thing of the past these days and was hoping to find a chocolate candy on my bed - oh well. Room Service in the AM was a great treat (Smoked Salmon on a bagel) and the prices were fair. Oooooh, I almost forgot the BEST part!!! My dinner at the "Martini Bar" area at the back of the hotel's "Copeland" restaurant the night of my arrival! First of all, the bar is very much a place to dine. There are even comfy armchairs all along the bar where diners (particulatly solo diners, like me) can enjoy a top-rate gourmet meal in pure comfort. Seriously, I was blown away, I used to be a Food Writer and this restaurant is creating dishes worthy of a destination-trip here, i enjoyed their "Seafood Bake", a clam-bake for one served and presented to you in a covered cast-iron pot! Inside were all of the favorites:: Lobster, Mussels, Clams, Corn, Potatoes and Grilled Bread. On the side was served Clam Broth and Melted Butter. What a feast! Even the bread basket impressed (Olive studded bread, Parmagiana Cheese Crips, etc). i befriended Sonny, a very conscientious worker behind the bar who even made a special "wet-nap" for me and presented it beautifully on a plate with a lemon slice. It was a perfect way to end a meal. Kind of. Okay, I'm a liar...I had a Chocolate Brioche (Bread Pudding) Dessert. Awesome. NOTE: TripAdvisor Peeps: Get yourself to this place!!!

The next day I enjoyed the quiet of their outdoor pool with trees all around. And finally, a hotel that has huge fluffy towels by the pool for guests! It was great to zone out, read, sleep by the pool.

It was great to get out of the city and into the country air, if only for 24 glamourous hours without much to do except..sleep, watch TV, swim and dine exceptionally well with GREAT hotel service with a smile! Three cheers for Elvira at the Front Desk who convinced me to book a room here after asking her a million questions!!! The complimentary ride back to the station made me feel well taken care of. The people that work here are very nice and the clientele they attract are nice too! There's one reason why I go to hotels - to be coddled. I got it here,

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
new york, new york
Reviewed April 30, 2009

We stayed in this hotel with 100 of our wedding guests in March. The staff was incredible and got us anything we needed. The hotel was recently renovated. It is well kept and has a very modern decor. The restuarant in the hotel, The Copeland is amazing extremely well run by the Manager, Richard Ramos.

• Stayed March 2009
Reviewed April 22, 2009

The lobby is lovely and the check in smooth. This was my second time there in the past 2 months; both times my room was fine, the bathroom small (they could use some extra shelving to accomodate make up bags, etc.), but the bed is an absolute delight! I am a nut about cleanliness at hotels and both times the linens and bath were spotless. I don't know what people are talking about re: noise; both times I felt like I had the place to myself. Quiet and very pleasant. Room service was quick and my salad was delicious and presented beautifully. Love the Starbucks in the room and t he quick coffee bar in the lobby is an easy stop-off. The help has been friendly each trip. I do think it is quite expensive, but the area is somewhat residential so choices are slim, and a "heavenly bed" is definitely worth something! Copeland's restaurant on the premises is also a good choice for a nice meal.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
London
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Bar - dead
Food - adequate
Room - small
Bathroom - smaller
In room aircon - freeze or fry
Service - was there any
Cost - outrageous

I'll definitely avoid in future. In my bottom 5 placs to stay in the world.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Rip off price
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank MrBok
usa
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Horrible experience. The music playing below our room at the wedding reception was so loud the floors were actually vibrating and items in the room were shaking.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank dlkejg123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Hanover Marriott
Hanover Marriott
#2 of 6 in Whippany

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!