“Nice Public Areas, Depressing Rooms”

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed August 27, 2013

First, the positives. This hotel has very nice public areas. The lobby is a modern, open space with a cheerful sitting area. The restaurant, the unfortunately named Blue Morel, has a creative menu that delivers good flavors. The service at the hotel is quite good. And like any Westin, the beds are very comfortable.

Still, at the end of the day, a hotel is about its rooms and this hotel's are simply depressing. Barely furnished and done up in dull gray, it is as if the designer deliberately wanted to bring hotel guests down. To make matters worse, the windows are small and let in little light (mine also unfortunately suffered from condensation between the panes). They are covered by cheap plastic blinds covered in safety stickers that fail to keep the room dark. Sadly, when the blinds are open one looks out over the ... parking lot. Adding to the overall bummerness of the room is the tiny bathroom, with its small, crowded tub and cramped sink (though the classic Westin double shower head is always welcome). Even the gym manages to be a bare and dispiriting. All this at a hefty price tag for a suburban hotel.

None of this had to be. This is a large property located on a large plot in the suburbs. It could be divided into nice-size rooms and decorated in bright and lively ways (see just about any Kimpton hotel). Please Westin, take pity on your guests and renovate your rooms, perhaps consider hiring a decorator who uses colors beyond gray and black. You'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: Bring your own brightly-colored artwork and hang it on the walls.
1  Thank andrew l
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I apologize about the inconvenience you had with your room. I am glad you enjoyed the lobby and our award winning restaurant, the Blue Morel. We will take your feedback into consideration during out next renovation. We hope to see you at the Westin Governor Morris during your next trip to Morristown, NJ.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had a nice stay here in August 2013. The lobby is still gorgeous and impeccably maintained. Really a place where you can sit and catch-up. Room was well-sized (no upgrade) with a comfortable bed and amazing linens. Bathroom had plenty of hot water and great water pressure; perfectly clean. Staff was a little cold, but still helpful.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear TravelCuties,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Governor Morris on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad you enjoy the amenities of the hotel. We hope to see you again at the Westin Governor Morris.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Westin Morristown came close to earning itself one of my worst reviews ever and barely salvaged itself. The facility itself is quite nice and has clearly been recently renovated. My room (when I finally got one) was actually extremely nice and comfortable, with a large sitting area, a great desk and an excellent bathroom. The hotel has plenty of free parking and the main restaurant is really excellent and far exceeded my expectations.

So, with all these good things to say how is it that I came close to thrashing the place in this review? What was it that put me in the foulest mood I’ve been in in some time? Well, that would be the hotel staff, and in particular the front desk staff. Simply put, I had one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had at a hotel, and this is from someone who spends between 75 and 100 days a year on the road.

Having arrived here after an extremely long trip that began in Lima, Peru, I was initially delighted when I saw what a nice place I’d booked. My check in began normally enough but part way through the clerk disappeared into the back and stayed gone for the better part of 10 minutes, by the clock. During this time no one bothered to ask if I needed help, no doubt because they knew what was coming and didn’t want to deal with me. When the clerk returned, he summarily informed me that the hotel was overbooked and that I was being “walked,” as he put it, to another hotel, whatever that meant. I quickly came to learn this was Westin speak for rebooking me (note to staff: when screwing a guest, don’t use back-office slang as it just makes a bad situation worse). “Walked” was of course the wrong term in any case given that I was certainly not escorted anywhere (I was given a Xeroxed sheet map with nothing about my reservation at this other hotel) and that the other hotel was several miles (and one wrong stop due to faulty directions) away. When I explained I had meetings in his hotel for the next two days which was why I booked it, he was unsympathetic (“there is nothing I can do.”) When I asked why I watched at least 6 other guests check in while I waited for him, he told me they “must have booked directly unlike you.” Gee, thanks. When I told him I was a Starwood Gold member, he told me he had no record of it because I’d used expedia. When I asked to see the manager, he told me the manager was “busy.” Needless to say by this point, in addition to being hot and exhausted I was furious.

It was only the next day, when I was able to return to the hotel and check into a room that the hotel began to salvage itself. From that point on things got better. The hotel finally made it clear they were paying for my previous night and that they would upgrade me to a suite for the balance of my stay. The person I had helping me at the front desk, in sharp contrast to her colleague, was excellent and very helpful. In the end, this may be a review of a single "bad egg" at this otherwise fine facility. However, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link and thus this hotel came very close to permanently losing a Westin customer on the basis on one bad staff member.

1  Thank expeditiondaddy

Dear ExpeditionDaddy,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are apologetic that you did not enjoy your stay with us and for the inconveniences you experience. We are glad that some of our staff members were able to turn your stay into a pleasant one. Please contact me directly to furthermore converse in regards to your stay. I can be reach at 973-539-7300.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This Westin hotel is the best I have stayed at so far. The rooms are spacious and comfortable enough, staff is very attentive and food at the restaurant is the BEST! Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy good time for the weekend or anyone who is travelling for business!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Zoychi P,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel amenities, the guest room, and the Blue Morel Restaurant. We hope to see you again for your next trip to Morristown, NJ.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The staff was extremely polite & helpful. Jerry let me charge my iPhone 5 at the front desk for 45 minutes while i prepared for a meeting. Then arranged for me to have the shuttle drop me off at the AT&T store in Morristown for free. Christian the driver was extremely friendly & polite. The hotel is beautiful, the restaurant was great & the room was very clean.

Dear TravelKatF26,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Governor Morris on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad that we were able to assist you in charging your phone as well as get you to your destination to the AT&T store. Thank you for acknowledging two of our hard working staff members. We hope to see you again at the Westin Governor Morris.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went here after my brothers wedding. The hotel was supposed to move his belongings to a suite before the happy couple returned. Somewhere along the way, the hotel lost two tuxedo bags. Not a big deal as they could easily have been mistaken as trash but the rental company expected the bags back. To make up for this oversight, joe, the front desk manager, gave us four free drinks and four free breakfasts.

All in all, the bags cost ten bucks, but the hotel, and joe specifically, took care of us and compensated us for far more than the two bags cost.

Thanks again joe.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Patrick C,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin Governor Morris on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize for the lost tuxedo bags. I am glad to know that our Front Office Supervisor, Joe, was able to make this a memorable stay for you and your family. We hope to see you again at the Westin Governor Morris.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 10, 2013

For our daughter's wedding, we had 90 out-of-area guests stay at The Westin Governor Morris. We received very positive reviews from everyone - complimenting the comfort of the accommodations, the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff, and quality of the food in the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Jolaine99,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that we could enhance this special day for you and your guests at the Westin Governor Morris. The staff work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Colin Ankersen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!