“A tale of two halves....”

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Gypsy
“A tale of two halves....”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is an interesting hotel in that they have some of the best customer service and some of the most lax too... Stayed there for a weekend 6 weeks ago and loved reception staff and the restaurant staff. There was a couple of functions and a big wedding on when I stayed, however they put me in a quiet room away from the noise and made sure I was looked after when i needed something.

They also run a great free shuttle service two and from the town centre (as they are located a little out of town). This is a 'ring and ride' service so when I came back from a sat trip into Manhattan, a quick call to the hotel, and I was picked up from the train station. Excellent.

Now the lax service.... the first night i was there I handed in some laundry. Duly taken away and i thought sorted but it never arrived back in time for when I left . Again not a problem, it happens, (I travel a lot and it has happened a few times to me) and the hotel promised to post it on to me.

6 weeks on.... 4 separate phone calls to the hotel, with 4 promised ring backs from the manager.... who never has called me back.

So from being a very good hotel, excellent rooms, great in house staff (front desk and restaurant especially... usually I gave both personal tip before I left they were so good)... to being a frustrating, quite infuriating in fact annoyance in my life right now.

so...lovely rooms, very clean, ample parking and great staff... mostly. Just dont expect any serious service once you have paid the bill and left.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My company was responding from Texas to the damage from Hurricane Sandy and we were fortunate enough to get a couple rooms at the Westin Governor in Morristown. Colin Ankersen the GM and his staff were fantastic. I can't say enough about their efforts to allow us to stay during this difficult time. We had to extend our stay a couple times due to power outages in the area and we were not able to get lodging closer in to NYC. Each time we thought we were going to have to leave, they were able to help out and make it work. The rooms were great and the staff was excellent. Considering the stress level of not knowing where we were headed next, the crew at the Westin were lifesavers to our team.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear mwhite17,
Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your wonderful review on our hotel, staff, services and management. I am glad we were able to assist your team in such trying times here in the NYC area. We hope you all the best and wish that you would come back and visit us again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed November 19, 2012

John, who works up front as the head doorman was fantastic! So friendly and helpful. We arrived Friday, Nov 16th for my cousins wedding. Had a great time at the hotel. Second wedding we have attended at the hotel and both were equally wonderful! So welcoming with everyone you speak with at the hotel! Will definitely recommend it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear J P,
Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. Thank you for the kind words on our staff esp. John the doorman and I am glad you enjoyed the wedding also. We hope that you would come back and visit us again in the future. Thank you for recommending us to your family and friends.
seattle
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Westin for my niece's wedding. The sliding door to the bathroom fell off the glider within the first five minutes. It only opened about half way, which was not enough room to get into the bathroom. When my husband tried to gently push it further, it partially fell off the track. The room was stuffy, so I opened the window a crack. The room quickly became chilly, because it was November and cold outside. When I gently tried to close the window, it fell off the track on a sharp angle into the room. Only ten minutes and my husband and I were afraid to touch anything else. To the hotel's credit, they got a maintenance person up quickly, but it took over an hour to repair everything, keeping us up, when we were exhausted after a cross country flight and just wanted to sleep.

Overall, the bathroom was cramped, too small to move comfortably. We were kept awake by a dreadful flashing green light over the bed - hard wired smoke alarm. After the first sleepless night, we covered the green lights with tape, allowing the second night to be more restful. Seems the Westin knows little about sleep hygiene. My elderly mother and aunt stayed at the same hotel and could not sleep due to the excessively heavy bedcovering hurting their feet. Not much of a "Heavenly Bed" promoted by the Westin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank happyhiker10
Dear happyhiker10,
Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you had with the room accommodations esp. the bathroom door and the smoke alarm light. Most of our rooms have the sliding doors and based on feedback are trying to change this in the near future. Some of our rooms do have the alarm light over the bed but we have an engineering team to assist to reduce the impact of this. I sincerely hope that you would give us another chance in the future to offset this experience.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We held our reception here for our August wedding and our guests were very pleased. The property and rooms are clean and well-maintained. The catering staff and room booking staff were always helpful. The outdoor pool is a great spot for cocktail hour...our guests loved that. They are on the more expensive side and there are cheaper options in the area, but the place has a great mix of old charm (the chandeliers and wood floors in the ballroom) and modern decor (the lobby and guest rooms). Overall very happy with our choice and thanks for everything!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear BD83,
Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. We were glad that you enjoyed your wedding and the accommodations of our hotel. Thank you for recommending us as well. We will share this with our staff esp. catering and banquets. We hope to serve you again sometime in the near future.
kendall park, nj
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a very nice hotel for a business trip to northern New Jersey, or for a corporate meeting. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Local attractions include Washington's Headquarters in Morristown.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear rcherill,
Thank you for taking time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us during your business trip. We hope you would continue to give us a chance to serve you when you visit this area. Let me know if I maybe of any further assistance.
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at the Westin during the aftermath of hurricane Sandy. It was very comfortable and conveniently located. Everyone was friendly. And, the food at the Blue Morel is excellent.

In particular, the doorman, John, was very welcoming and helpful. He always had a smile on his face. The manager, Colin Ankersen, did a wonderful job during some difficult moments.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear unjeriajackson,
Thank you for taking your valuable time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are glad you had a good experience with us and also for the nice words about our Doorperson- John and myself.
We hope you would come back and visit us again in the near future. Please let me know if I may be of any further service.
Colin Ankersen.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Hanover Marriott
Hanover Marriott
#2 of 6 in Whippany

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!