“The banquet bombed.”

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My wife & I attended a large family affair in the main ballroom. About 300 guests at a sit-down dinner with a dance band. The 2 bartenders were sullen and unfriendly; they were just doing their job. Dinner service was awful. Dishes were served out of order. The salads came out first. No bread yet. The menu stated that the salads would contain pears, but there was no pear in sight. And no dressing on the salads; just mixed greens and some slices of fennel.Then came the appetizers. Finally some bread. A glass of wine was poured for each guest. Some tables were later to get a refill on the wine, but not our table, and we were never offered or served coffee, although there were cups and saucers on the table. I noticed several intervals when there were no servers to be seen anywhere in the entire room. Nobody was removing dirty dishes or serving anything to anyone. During one of these down times, I went to the bar to get a refill on the wine, and the two dining room "supervisors" were standing at the bar chatting with the bartenders while nothing else was going on. Worst service I have ever experienced. If you're planning an affair, don't plan on going here.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank bonehomme

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Where do I start. I used to go to this hotel all the time, this place is not the same anymore. the rooms are the same,but you can no longer order a movie for the kids.(they dont have any movies any more. just local tv with bad reception). Room service is abysmal, the food is bad, it takes hours to get it and when you get it its cold. the restaurant in the lobby used to be great. they have changed the menu, it is a crime what they have done to that restaurant. It was so bad, I was there last night and ordered a bottle of water, while waiting for the bottle I looked through the menu and could not find one descent dish to order. (this used to be a good restaurant with good steaks and such.) i actually paid for my bottle of water.(charged it to my room) and left to go to a restaurant in town( J-K steakhouse) it was good.
Back to the westin, think about how bad things have to be for me, to leave the hotel (i am staying as a guest) to go to another resturaunt.The best part is I decided to take my family down for breakfast ( they have a buffet) i ordered from the menu, rye toast buttered. The waitress came out with it 15 min later, with 2 frozen patties of butter and cold toast. I said to the waitress, 'I asked for the toast to be buttered. She said we dont butter toast in this establishment, I talked to the manager and after telling him all the trials and tribulations i have had at the hotel/resturaunt>....his answer I am sorry you feel that way, he repeated that 3 times but did nothing. the hotel has this going green thing happening, if they don't wise up that will be the last thing they have to worry about. I am taking my green elsewhere.
ps. the manager in the restaurant should be fired.

Room Tip: Another hotel where service counts.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank dman53
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We spent one weekday night at the Governor Morris after a benefit event. The room was excellent -- standard business hotel, but perfectly clean, with comfortable bed and nice sheets. Breakfast was very good if a little pricey. Nothing bad to say.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at the Westin in Morristown for a wedding. In fact, there were two weddings on that Saturday in the same ballroom and one evening before. This is a wedding destination hotel, which is great if you're attending the wedding and not so great if you're trying to sleep over the sounds of the "electric slide" playing at midnight! The hotel itself is above average. We were originally on the 3rd floor and had to be moved to the 4th floor because the floor was vibrating from the wedding party below. Bottom line: we were happy to stay here because we were attending a wedding at the hotel; the hotel looks nice and clean, and was recently renovated. The discounted rate of about $130 we received was great, but I'm not certain I'd pay more than that to stay in this hotel. Might be best to call and find out about any wedding activity and plan your room selection around that; 4th floor and above are a safe bet.

The lobby is nice and very clean with plenty of room to sit, read or relax. There is a little coffee shop and a tiny "corner shop" as well. The rooms are small to average size, renovated, and include all the amenities you would expect - safe, TV, desk, mini-bar, coffee maker etc. I believe they allow dogs in the hotels as well. The bathrooms looked nice at first glance, but were poorly renovated (cracks, facets not lining-up, etc.) and were a little dingy (read - moldy) for newer bathrooms. Also, both of our bathroom had sliding doors, which seems common in renovated hotels with smaller rooms. We also found the room(s) to be very humid; our clothing was damp the next morning. Our first room on the third floor looked over a roof or a deck where there were chairs; it didn't feel very private as it was easy to see inside our room. Our second room of the fourth floor looked over the parking lot, which was an improvement.

The staff at the reception were nice. We had to change rooms (from the 3rd floor to the 4th floor) because of the ridiculous amount of noise coming from the ballroom below. They were very accommodating. The wedding reception staff were OK, although I'm guessing that if you spent your days watching people eat, drink, be merry or make fools of themselves, you may be a little sour and crusty too! As for the wedding portion, there was plenty to eat and drink and the food was good. The staff were a little quick to clear away our somewhat full drinks, which of course meant we had to wander back to the open bar to order another (a rather distasteful practice on the part of the hotel - that's just not cool!). It was also a little weird to have the staff standing around and watching the guest dance. You could tell they were making comments and making fun of some people - it's wedding, it's suppose to be fun and people will be silly!

The restaurant and bar were the highlight of our stay. The food was good and the portions very generous. The staff was kind and very attentive. A little on the pricey side, but we were pleasantly surprised by the bar and restaurant.

The hotel does offer free shuttle service within a 5 miles radius. I was able to arrange a pick-up and drop-off at the train station which was great. Also, using your Starwood members card will get you free internet (which would otherwise cost $15).

Room Tip: Call to find out about wedding activity during your stay and plan accordingly. Rooms on the 4th floo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed here a month ago for business. It is probably the best option in the area. Rooms are nice with modern dark decor, and separate bedroom (although they look into a horrible courtyard were they have the garbage dumps... Making that a beautiful garden would be an easy fix).
The sliding doors that separated the bedroom from the living room and the bathroom are VERY heavy, and there is not good lighting to work (ironically, that's generally the case in most business hotels!)
My husband and enjoyed very much enjoyed their excellent steak.
Service was very friendly, specially Jesse, who was driving the shuttle.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Stayed here to save a little money rather than staying In NYC. Room was starting to show some wear, bathroom was NYC size- I think the door opened out! Staff ok. Pillows were horribly uncomfortably (thin), but shower was good. Transit a close drive too. Probably won't be back will try to find something better.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 4, 2011

DH and I stayed one night for a friend's wedding. The bed was super comfortable, room enormous, water hot with good pressure, although the bathroom was not as spotless as I remember from a few years ago. No noise issues from outside, but there was noise from the parties inside - suggest getting room on the highest floor possible if you're a light sleeper. The wedding was excellent - of course that's a function of the incredible couple we were celebrating, but the food was delicious and the party rooms were incredibly elegant.
If you're looking for a good restaurant in MoTown, suggest Roots Steakhouse - go hungry!
Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
5 mi away
Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
#7 of 16 in Parsippany

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!