“Not the Westin standard of hotel I am used to”

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
New York City, New York
“Not the Westin standard of hotel I am used to”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed here for one night in May on the way to move to NYC. I arrived at 3am in the morning from a long drive from DC, so I was too tired to complain about the hotel and had nowhere else to go.

The hotel is just old, bottom line. I always try to stay at Westin hotels when travelling and unfortunately, this was my least favorite. When it comes to Westin hotels, I am used to nice, new, modern rooms but Westin Morristown just didn't have that appeal or standard of other Westin hotels visited. The elevator, hallways, doors, carpet, and windows were "old-fashioned" to me and I felt like they had been there since at least the 1940s.

But if you're not a Westin regular or don't go over your hotel rooms with a detailed eye, you probably won't mind staying here. I could also see this hotel appealing to an older crowd or people into old, vintage stuff.

The bathroom was tiny and hard to maneuver around in so I am glad it was just me. I'd recommend this hotel only if you are in a similar situation as I was and simply have nowhere else to stay or need a safe, open lot to park your car/truck/trailer in.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank k88nnyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed at the Westin Governor Morris while visiting friends in New Jersey in July 2011.

The exterior of the hotel is quite stately, and the public areas and rooms are fairly typical of Westins, which is to say understated and tasteful. I believe that mine was a Deluxe Room on the fifth floor of the hotel (out of six, if I am not mistaken). It was fairly spacious with a non-fold-out sofa. As in all Westins in which I have stayed, the king bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was not particularly large, and it had the standard Westin two-head shower. Looking at the area surrounding the hotel, I would assume that views are either of trees (as mine was) or of the parking lot.

I found the service at the hotel to be quite pleasant, which I expect of Westins in general. The sound insulation of my guestroom was acceptable but not great. While I had no trouble sleeping, I did notice in the morning that I could hear some noises from the hallway (doors closing and the like), and I could hear indistinct voices from a neighbouring room (curiously, only in the bathroom). This was not a major issue for me. There only seemed to be one elevator, which was also being used by service staff throughout the stay. I did not ask whether there were any other elevators, but only one was indicated to me, and that one seemed fairly busy.

This is a suburban hotel, so expect to need a car. There was ample free parking during my stay, and it took me under ten minutes to drive to downtown Morristown (the Green), passing the train station. If you plan to stay in Morristown without a car, the Hyatt may be a better option. There appeared to be very little within walking distance of the hotel. In addition to myriad corporate offices in the area, the Century 21 department store is worth stopping by (it is a more restrained/civilized and less chaotic branch of the lower Manhattan store), and the Famished Frog just off the Green is good for a casual meal. The nearest Starbucks also seems to be on the Green. I did not try the hotel’s restaurant.

There was a large gathering – presumably a wedding – taking place on the night I arrived. I suspect that this hotel hosts quite a few weddings, but there was very little impact on my stay because of it. The festivities were apparent in public areas (groups of people dressed for the occasion in the lobby and elevator, a few smoking in front of the hotel), but there was no spill-over onto the guestroom floors.

I stayed on a promotional pre-paid rate through the Starwood website for under $100 (including taxes), so it was an excellent value for a very nice property. I would probably stay at the same hotel visiting Morristown in the future, though I would expect to pay a higher rate.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Should of read the reviews before booking here. If you want a place to stay for 1 night it's ok, but other than that, the staff here are not friendly and unhelpful. Would not recommend nor would I stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank rachel11211
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed at the there with my girl friend for the weekend, the lobby is the only nice thing in the hotel. The staff were very rude and helpless the air conditioner in our room didn't work and the water in the shower didn't go down. There was a wedding going on the lobby was very noisy n crowded with no privacy when I checked in it felt like Im attending some wedding with no invitation. I'd expect much better from a westin not worth for the money and would never go back and wouldn't recommend this hotel to nobody!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Benny11219
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Checked into a room with the door falling off (nails protruding), the bathroom ceiling falling in and you cannot even get to the tub because of where the vanity is placed. Rooms are so small! Do not be fooled by the lobby - when I pulled up I thought it looked old and outdated, but was pleasantly surprised when I walked in - only to find that the rooms look like the outside. I am a SPG Gold member - and got nothing for that except to be placed in a dumpy room next to the elevator, pool and ice machine (a trifecta!). I contacted them, and all they said was "sorry". Do not stay at this hotel until the renovations are done completely - and then I would be weary as they can't change the attitude of the staff or the size of the rooms.

Room Tip: Don't go there until renovations are done!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Girlee0697
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here while a friend was getting married nearby. Loved that it was pet friendly, updated, clean, and convenient. We compare other hotels to this one, and this one always wins.

Room Tip: I don't think you can get a bad room here!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Seat31E
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I've stayed her about 30 nights in the last 2 years and The Governor Morris is an excellent but not superb hotel. Currently undergoing renovation that will improve the property but not fix the most notable challenges. Regardless, it's still the best hotel in a 20 mile radius. Since it's a renovated 1920s hotel, there are quite a few very large and comfortable rooms and suites, but the bathrooms are tiny and really average.

It is an old hotel so the character and feel is great regardless of the slowest elevators in the world and a below par fitness center. The Governor's high point is the hotel staff, each of whom is extremely friendly and helpful. I do think the hotel really needs a deep tissue (pardon the pun, they push their spa services) renovation that most significantly includes air quality as I always find there is a stale smell in the rooms (due to old HVAC units) and it's more noticeable in the hallways. The Heavenly Beds are, as expected, great and the housekeeping is top notch. Food is very good and as I now proof read this review it sounds more negative than than it should, but . . . .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 1 in Short Hills
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!