“Great Experience”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Maryland
“Great Experience”
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a work trip and could not have been more pleased- clean room with a comfortable bed, friendly staff, great hotel all around!  Beautiful hotel that is convenient and centrally located with a staff that has done everything possible to make this a fantastic trip- A+ in my book!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Attended the Madison Hotel for a wedding. Check in was a breeze but the staff is a little too formal so if they seem stiff, it is because they are. I got a double room and in general, the room was very clean. It is a bit on the vintage side so don't expect the LCD television or modern decor but that is something that does not concern me. The bathroom was clean and simple, hot water came on very quickly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
smcarthur, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Hello, my name is Scott McArthur and I am the General Manager at the Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ. On April 1st, 2010 I took over management of this property along with a new hotel management company and I wanted to personally contact you and invite you back to try us again. Please visit our website and email or call me with any questions or concerns. My email address is smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com and my phone number is 862-345-5500. I am confident you will enjoy your stay. Since I took over we have received 22 comments by Trip Advisor members and of those 22 comments, 19 or 86% have ranked us VERY GOOD or EXCELLENT (no one has ranked us poor or terrible) and we are currently ranked by a wide margin the NUMBER 1 HOTEL in our area by Trip Advisor members. In summary we are independent hotel with outstanding service and a beautiful facility. Try us again; I am sure you will be pleased.

Travel Safe,

Scott McArthur
862-345-5500
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We stayed several nights with our three young boys in two adjoining rooms at the Madison Hotel. It was just after Christmas and the lobby was spectacularly decorated, not the usual arrangement of poinsettas that many hotels put out. The lobby is a lovely cozy place and seemed to always have a fire going. We chose the hotel because it had adjoining rooms and a pool for our kids. The rooms were perfect -- quite large, with a little seating area in each and really great, comfortable beds. The pool was perfect for kids. It was a bit cold for my taste, but the kids loved it and the hot tub was great for the adults. There is a small workout room, if you need that.

The breakfast in the morning is included in the room and is simple but perfect for a family or traveler who is rushing off elsewhere for the day.

I found everyone there to be friendly, helpful and accomodating and the rates to be extremely reasonable for what we got.

I don't know what it would be like with a wedding party going on, but I would suggest an upper floor on weekends to avoid any party noise. I would definitely recommend this hotel to families as the pool, adjoining rooms and included breakfast make it a great place for kids!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2009

We declined to use the Hotel for a large block of rooms for our wedding after we met with brusque, rude and disinterested service from every single employee we encountered. From the miserable desk clerk, a sour bell hop who couldn't possibly have been more visibly ticked off after being asked to show us a sample (and dingy, outdated) room, and an almost incomprehensibly rude telephone exchange with the group sales manager at the Hotel's restaurant - the Madison couldn't possibly have scripted a worse impression at every turn. We decided to take our business elsewhere and strongly encourage you to do the same. These people clearly don't care about their hotel or their guests!

• Stayed November 2008
4 Thank Holdardo
Tampa, Fl
Reviewed September 29, 2008

The website shows a beautiful hotel, but did not show the rooms themselves. I called the site and spoke to the day manager to ensure that I could book a handicapped accessible room with double beds, and an adjacent room for my son. Arrival was late Thurs. evening, due to weather delays affecting flights, so at 10:45 pm we were anxious to curl up with a soft drink, jammies and TV in our respective rooms. That's when the problems began. The mini-bar did not work in either room. It charged your room, but wouldn't release what we tried to purchase. When taking the phone off the hook to dial the front desk, speaker phone was automatically engaged, so we could not have a private conversation at all -- it was blasted over the room. The TV remote stopped working at midnight, and there were no external buttons on the TV to do what the remote did when working. The internet wireless hookup also did not work in either room. The room service order was late and wrong. There was little that was right about this experience. The young woman who delivered the room service order should be promoted to management! She was the only person who smiled, or who seemed to care one iota about customer service. The front desk apparently sleeps during the early morning hours, because they do not answer the phone. We couldn't connect to room service on our phone; we had to call the front desk and they would connect us. Weddings were continuous from Friday evening through our Sunday check out, and I cannot imagine trying to sleep anywhere near that banquet area: loud music, lots of fun, etc. but for the "normal" traveler needing sleep, it would not be the place to stay. The management charged more than they had agreed to on the phone, and despite showing them my notes I had taken with the date and time I had spoken to Jennifer, they ignored me and did nothing. They were well aware the mini-bars throughout were not working, and the wireless connection was extremely unusable. Since this was to be a combo pleasure-business trip, the inability to use our computers was a real annoyance! Front desk people need training in smiling, greeting, putting the customer first. They acted as if our stay was a pain in their butts, and it was too much for them to stand up to greet us. Promote the hispanic woman who delivers room service and get rid of the rest of them! Would never stay there again, and do not recommend. The bed was average, the shower for handicapped persons was very good. Overall, nothing else worked that makes a traveler comfortable!

• Liked — The shower in the handicapped room
  • Disliked — Nothing worked
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank NanaOneTampa_Fl

Travel Safe,

Scott McArthur
862-345-5500
New Jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Wonderful hotel, so many chain hotels don't seem to really know if and when you even check in, this hotel made us feel "special", it is privately owned and it shows, in attention to detail. The restaurant is really excellent, from the furnishings to the service, menu was excellent, one of the owners actually came to the table and introduced himself, which you never get with a chain hotel. We loved it and have recommended it to our friends and family who visit this area frequently. Thank you Madison Hotel for a unique experience, we WILL be back.

• Liked — Friendliness, Cleanliness, Food
  • Disliked — Loved everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank China33
Belmar
Reviewed May 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Madison Hotel recently for an overnight getaway from the kids. It was great!

Our room was comfortable and clean, we loved the mattress. Upon heading to dinner, we informed the front desk that our television did not work. After dinner, they informed us they could not get the television working and they upgraded us to a slightly larger room which was perfect.

Dinner could not have gone better. The piano player adds a nice touch without dominating the atmosphere. Our service was the best I've ever had at a restaurant. My wife is a vegetarian and the menu had no entree options for here. The waiter had the kitchen prepare a fantastic steamed vegetable platter. Our waiter's wine recommendations were perfect. He didn't mindlessly offer up a single type of wine for both of us, he made recommendations based on what we were eating and he was dead on both times. Finally, dessert sealed the deal. A chocolate-pecan tart with cinnamon ice cream was perfect.

The decor is old, but beautiful. We loved the dark wooden look.

Brunch on Sunday morning was out of this world. After that great dinner the night before, I had to behave myself, which wasn't easy. Two carving stations, six chafing dishes, the best array of salads I've ever seen, an omelet station, a bagel station and a dessert/fresh fruit spread. I only wish I had room for more.

I cannot be more complimentary of the Madison Hotel. We loved it and will go back again. I think too many people are in love with new, shiny, cookie cutter hotels. Those people would not appreciate a place like The Madison.

• Liked — The restaurant.
  • Disliked — The drive.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank STJQ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!