“Great hotel but a little disappointing.”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
West Orange, New Jersey
“Great hotel but a little disappointing.”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed, at "The Madison", on Valentines Day weekend. The hotel was beautiful and the room was small but intimate. The food was great and the service, in the reataurant, was spectacular. The package that we purchased gave us a late check out of 2pm. Unfortunately, the maids were unaware of the various packages offered in the hotel. The next morning, the maid knocked and entered our room at 9am. When we made her aware that we were in bed, she proceeded to still talk to us, INSIDE of our room. She came back an hour later and knocked again. After the third wake up,at 11am, I approached her only to find out that she did NOT understand english. She called her supervisor, who then apologized for any inconvenience caused. It ruined our stay! I was SO upset! The hotel is expensive and should provide better service. I talked to the young lady, at the front desk, who seemed very uninterested in my experience. Please hire people who understand english and inform your cleaning staff of the late check out.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank bessiecrews123
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for celebrating Valentines Day with us. I was thrilled you found the hotel beautiful with intimate rooms great service and spectacular food. I would truly appreciate you calling me to discuss your reason for being disappointed. We never want a guest to feel that way. I am truly very sorry that our housekeeper disturbed you on three occasions. I don't understand how it could have happened even once. All of our packages include a 2:30PM late check out if requested by the guest and available on the day the guest requested it. Did you request a late check out with the front desk? If you did a note should have been placed in your reservation by the front desk and housekeeping should have been notified thereby insuring you were not disturbed until you wanted to be. Also, to prevent unauthorized disturbances by staff we provide a Do Not Disturb sign in all rooms and provide an additional deadbolt lock that the guest can use to prevent access (if for some reason the housekeeper missed the do not disturb sign a guest placed on the door and still placed a key in the key slot a light would blink making her aware that you did not wish to be disturbed). Lastly, the hotel provides a safety latch that when in place prohibits anyone from entering a guest room. Were your locks broken? Was the sign missing? At any time on any of the occasions that the housekeeper disturbed you did you call the front desk to clear up your check out time? Please call me to help me understand what happened. I look forward to your call and hope we will see you again whenever you need a place to stay in our area.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We made a trip advisor account because we found the reviews of the hotels in Morristown very confusing and we would have loved more guidance. We made our reservation from the road for a rate of 160 for a double room before tax. There were two overwhelmed desk attendants there to attend to the needs of a large wedding party milling around and guests checking in. There was also a stiffly mannered woman sitting at a desk nearby but she seemed unconcerned with what was going on at the front desk. The hallways and room were outdated and smelled EXTREMELY musty. There was a cart full of tools and paint left near the door to our room....not what you want to see in a hotel hallway. The bathroom fan made a loud noise when you turn it on and there is no way to turn it off and retain the lights. The worst part was that there was incessant banging coming from a room nearby (4:14pm). I took my daughters and we left the hotel to get away from the noise. The room To sum it up all of the top rated hotels in Morristown look to be the same quality, so stay where you get the best rate. I would never choose the Madison again. I would probably chose the Westin because they have modern glass shower doors (at least according to the wb photos) and fabric shower curtains hold more bacteria.

• Stayed April 2014
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
I was made aware of your situation Saturday night and I think the readers need to know that the hotel team offered to move your room twice including shortly after you arrived and you refused both times. If the noise was that bad why did you not move to another room? In addition, even though we gave you the opportunity to move which you refused twice we did give you the room you decided to stay in complimentary. Two things happened at that point the first was that the noise did not seem to bother you for the rest of your stay and the second was that you asked for a second room free of charge even though you only had one reserved for the night. What was that room for and why if you needed it did you not reserve it when you made your original reservation? Lastly, why would you expect it to be complimentary? The reason why the lobby was crowded was because we truly are a very popular hotel and our lobby is the perfect place to meet and catch up with family and friends while having a cup or coffee or tea. Would you prefer the hotel to be empty? In your case it was a wedding party gathering before there reception began. I do agree that the Maintenance team member should not have left his cart in the hallway while making the repair you heard from your room however I don't believe it warranted a picture and a comment. I have spoken with the employee and it should not happen again. We take great pride in keeping our hotel clean and well maintained so I am sure that the repair was needed and although we hope all repairs can be done quietly we try to limit the noise to acceptable times (in our case 10AM - 5PM).Lastly, be comforted in knowing that in must cases shower curtains and liners used in hospitality and healthcare are treated with a special substance designed to repel and prevent the spread of bacteria. We appreciate and understand that people have differing tastes and although The Madison Hotel does its best to be everything to everyone sometimes we may fall a little short in a guests eyes whether it be in the buildings design, staff employed or customers we attract. Some guests may not appreciate the timeless architecture, service that treats you like you were a guest in our home, choice of restaurants, complimentary continental breakfast buffet, complimentary wifi and parking, proximity to the train into Manhattan, turndown service, concierge service, etc. However we are truly blessed in that the majority of guests that have posted reviews on Trip Advisor do, In fact over 86% of those guests over the past four years have ranked us very good or excellent and we have been the number 1 ranked hotel in Morristown for 3 consecutive years now as well as the highest ranked full service hotel in the surrounding area for the last 2 years. Did all those guests "overrate" us? Are they all wrong? We would love to have all of our guests return but since you said you would not I am sorry to see you go and sincerely hope you will find a hotel more suitable to your needs and tastes.

Long Valley, New Jersey
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Older historic hotel with charm and modern amenities. Well priced with both affordable and upscale dining options. Rooms are snug but well updated. Air conditions was rather noisy. Everything was clean, free parking, and very tasty but limited continental breakfast. Convenient to major local corporations, great for group meetings.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ. It was nice to read that you found the hotel charming and clean with modern amenities, free parking, a tasty breakfast, convenient location and multiple dining options all at a fair price. We hope to see you again soon.

Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I am a frequest guest at The madison hotel in Morristown, NJ. I stay several nights a month on business travel and have done so for the past 4 years. The hotel is an older hotel but the guest rooms are comfortable with nice bedding, newly remodeled bathrooms and satelite TV with many movie channels and internet access included at no additional charge. The staff is courteous, friendly and professional. The hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to local businesses and the train station. A complimentary breakfast buffet is offered in the lobby. There are two dining options at the hotel - a relaxed, pub-like option and a steakhouse that is more expensive but the food is excellent. I plan to continue to stay at The Madison Hotel during my future trips.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback. It is always nice to see a feedback from someone that has been here as often as you have. We truly appreciate your comments and look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit our area in the future. If you ever need anything at all please fell free to ask for me.

Grand Island, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I decided to take a weekend trip to NYC. He has stayed at The Madison years ago for business. He had really liked it then and wanted me to see it. It was every thing he had told me. It is an older hotel, but it is beautifully decorated, with a wood burning fireplace and comfy chairs to relax in. Rooms are clean and a nice size with comfortable beds. A decent free continental breakfast to get you going in the morning. The train station is very close, walking distant from hotel. Which makes it very convenient to get to NYC. The train takes you right to Penn Station, from there we could walk to everything we wanted to see and do. We walked to Times Square, a theater to see a play, Central Park, 5th Avenue, Hells Kitchen, Rockefeller Center, and many more places. The Madison also has an excellent restaurant. I highly recommend this hotel for a business or pleasure trip. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was happy to read you found our hotel beautifully decorated with clean rooms, comfortable beds an excellent restaurant and a nice complimentary continental breakfast. I appreciate you highly recommending us and look forward to you staying with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Warwick
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have been fortunate enough to stay at The Madison many times in the course of the last year for business travel. So my experiences are not based on a fluke, or good luck , but on precedent.
The Madison has become the standard, which few can live up to. It starts from the moment the door is opened ( which after a days work is so nice to have someone there to give you a hand with luggage etc) and your are greeted by any of their exceptional front desk staff: Christine, Jasmine, Medgine, Megan, Nadia or Jasmine are ready, willing and more than able to make your stay memorable. The rooms are spacious and always clean, beds and duvet comfortable! The bathrooms have recently been renovated and are wonderful - especially the new shower heads. Plenty of plugs, mirrors and counter space. The water pressure & temp are perfect and can be adjusted to your comfort.The sheets and towels are always nice and white - but without that bleach-smell (typical of some chain hotels). Thankfully, they have an exercise area, and a great pool - which are needed after dining at Rods, or The tavern. You can always depend on the food to be terrific and beyond... my only complaint are portions - too generous!! There is a great atmosphere at the bar where they anticipate your desires before they are expressed, and of course, no review would be complete without a "shout out" to Mitch, and his engaging piano. I think the word ambience is so overused, but their really is such a great ambience that whether you are on a date, a business dinner, or anything in between, you will not be disappointed. But for me, one of the most important benefits of staying at The Madison is the peace of mind my family has knowing that I am safe and secure. I have never felt that I need to look over my shoulder, day or night. The hotel is family owned and The Keller's are present and definitely set the overall tone- elegant, perfection but warm and welcoming. I have unfortunately been ill during one of my stays, and the care and concern I received will forever make me a candidate for the "most loyal" Madison visitor!
PS: Love the blueberries at breakfast!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you very much for your loyalty to not only The Madison Hotel but also to Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille and G.K.s Red Dog Tavern. Your review is especially enjoyable to read because it points out the properties consistency in delivering on our promise of creating extremely satisfied guests by providing the best service, cleanest hotel, and friendliest staff to everyone we come in contact with day in and day out. Thank you from all of us for recognizing our hard work and specifically recognizing Christine, Jasmine, Medgine, Megan, Nadia and Mitch. They will be thrilled at your feedback and we hope you will continue to be our "most loyal" Madison visitor.

Watertown, New York, United States
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed at The Madison Hotel because I was attending a church meeting at Drew University. The hotel selection was made by someone else. All I did was call to reserve a room for two nights. I had not stayed in the New Jersey area before and had not heard of The Madison Hotel. It was easy to find. They provided shuttle service to/from my meeting. The breakfast bar was one of the best I have ever seen. The staff - friendly! Exercise room - adequate. Beds - very comfortable! There is nothing I could think of to change!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words, we appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!