“Don't be fooled by the pictures!!!”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Tampa, Florida
“Don't be fooled by the pictures!!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This place is a dump. It looks like an old dormitory. Both my sink and my tub were clogged, so I stood in water over my ankles while I showered. The bed was quite nice -- good linens -- but nothing else about the room was up-to-date. The restaurant really is excellent, so stay somewhere else and eat here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
"A picture is worth a thousand words" but you also have to "see it to believe it"!! Therefore, I do recommend that people come and try us out or take a tour after eating in the restaurant you found excellent. Only then can you get a true feel for what most Trip Advisor guests saw when THEY ranked us the number one full service hotel in all of Morris County and the number one hotel overall in Morristown for three straight years. In addition, you will see that we are one of only a handful of 4.5 STAR rated full service hotels in a wide geographical area. So, I agree, ignore the pictures! Read the reviews posted above and below this one and then come see it for yourself and let me know what you think. Sorry that the tub drain ruined your stay but thrilled that you found the restaurant excellent and the bed very nice. I know our hotel style is not for everyone but glad you were able to enjoy our award winning restaurant. Thank you for your business, please feel free to enjoy Rod's and GK's Red Dog whenever you are looking for an enjoyable night out.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
hohenfels germany
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was attending a reunion at a nearby college and was thrilled to see an excellent rate offered for alumni. Having stayed at the Madison a few times in the past, I knew how nice it was and with the great rate, even better! There is a huge parking lot located next to the hotel (and also the Convent Station train station ). The lobby is beautifully decorated with a sunken seating area next to the large fireplace. Check in was a breeze with a pleasant and efficient welcome. My room and bathroom were spotless and comfortable and I really like the special soaps and lotions provided. The included breakfast was excellent, especially the fresh fruit (a large dish of fresh , sweet blueberries was the highlight!). Coffee and tea was available 24 hours and delicious cookies were on the counter at check in. Internet was fast and a computer with printer was available in the lobby. I used the pool and hot tub a few times, very nice! I originally was only going to be staying here on the Friday night but since it was such a great hotel, I changed my plans to come back on Sunday. I asked Camilla at the desk if I could get the special rate for that night too and was happy to hear that it was still available. Thank you to the Madison Hotel for 2 wonderful nights, keep up the great service! Look forward to visiting the area again next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mellon5
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! The team and I appreciate it and are happy that you will continue to be our guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ. Thanks again for your business and your comments. See you soon.

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Visited this stately property for family wedding - an excellent experience. A few nuances with a historic hotel but preferable to the sterility that frequent travelers experience with the cookie-cutter chain hotels. No musty smell, a cracked window, one door a bit sticky

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip. Advisor. We appreciate it. I am glad you had an excellent time and look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Henryville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My expectations for the Madison were not what I would expect from say a Holiday Inn Express - yet that was very much what I got in the basic room. In fact the room was almost a carbon copy of a Holiday Inn Express I stayed at in NC recently with the exception that the Holiday Inn was not at all worn nor was it priced like the Madison.

My wife and I arrived after a long day in the city and the desk staff were welcoming with an excellent first impression of the elegant lobby. The fourth floor halls were quiet and clean. Opening the door of the room I wa\lked into the dark room and ran into the light fixture outside the bathroom making me stagger. Now I realize at 6 foot 7 I am bit taller than most - but gee this was not a nice way to start my stay and I suspect anyone over about 6 foot 2 would hit the fixture. Someone other than someone tall designed that light placement.

The air conditioner was responsive as was the hot water. The room smelled musty and that never really went away even with the window open. The bed firm and comfortable. A request from my spouse for an extra balnket was met within 15 minutes which was very acceptable.

The puzzling thing was the room was clearly designed for one or two visitors. One easy chair a desk and a table with one chair. A single serve Kerug cofflee maker was included in the room with a selection of coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. However only one(1) mug to make a hot beverage???? I suppose it never occured that both occupants might desire a hot drink - Just odd in a hotel that prides itself on their level of service.

The bathroom was basic but clean with the exception of the large black spinder in the tub - he looked at home, but I don"t like sharing a bath with strangers so I murdered him - sorry to admit it and disposed of the body.

Interestingly the trash containers - cans seems too crude a word for these lovely items were completely unlined with either plasic of paper liners. I felt bad throwing things like used Kureg cups in for fear they would leak, making some poor house-keepers job much harder

The Madison is a lovely hotel one I would galdly return to again and again - the location and train nearby, the warmth and attentiveness of their staff are outstanding. Small details were left out or missing - if I could award 4.5 stars i would.

Room Tip: There are events many events - weddings and otherwise at the Madison and for good reasons - however...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I truly appreciate the comments on the details we are missing and would like to explain. In regards to the trash container in the bathroom I prefer not to have a liner or a bag since I think it is not eco friendly (waste of plastic or paper), it is costly (once a guest puts something in it we must throw it away regardless of how full it is- also not eco friendly) and I believe if a guest looks into the bottom of the trash container and sees it clean it shows that the housekeeping staff is very detailed. In regards to the beverage containers we currently have a total of six cups to hold warm or cold beverages. I thought that was enough but after reading your comment we purchased an additional cup for every room. So, we really did consider every minor detail but assumed incorrectly. Lastly, I am sorry you hit your head on the foyer lamp and I am happy to say that we are replacing them on an as needed basis. Thank you again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Milford, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Business required a trip to area.Booked based on reviews.Well run,excellent staff.Glitches in accommodations handled well by gm . This said the entire hotel needs a make over..Ceilings in rooms cracked .Dampness and mustiness throughout Re do of bathrooms is only a patch. Its time to overhaul and move to the current century.You have a good thong going,don,t neglect it.

Room Tip: pay the extra up charge fo a suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Time waits for no one but our goal is that in spite of time moving on things will remain the same. We have been the number 1 ranked hotel in Morristown for over 3 years now and are currently the number 1 ranked full service hotel in Morris County. I know we have a good thing going here and I promise we wont neglect it. Thank you for your feedback and your business we really appreciate it and thank you for saying the hotel is well run with an excellent staff. We will continue to provide a great value including complimentary Wi-Fi, cold breakfast buffet, local transportation, hot beverages available 24 hours a day, welcome beverage and sweet, two restaurants including an award winning steakhouse, excellent service, newly renovated bathrooms that meet AAA 5 Diamond standards in a setting that remains time tested and classical, We pride ourselves on providing a home away from home where comfort, warmth and service come natural and from the heart. Hopefully we will get to see you soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I spent a weekend night here back in 2012 with a room package that included credit towards dinner at Rod's Steakhouse, wine and chocolates in the room, and late check-out. We were very pleasantly greeted at the desk and had a very speedy check-in. Our room was a nice size with a huge king sized bed, love seat, and table and chairs and had a nice sized bathroom. The room and bathroom themselves were a bit outdated but I understand that the bathrooms are in the process of being renovated at this time.

Dinner at Rod's was a treat, we had a nice selection of food and wine and really enjoyed ourselves. At the bar at Rod's there was also a live piano player so we had drinks after dinner and enjoyed the music.

We enjoyed the late check-out and had breakfast at the restaurant to top off our weekend. Overall we were fairly happy about the Madison Hotel and I look forward to visiting again to see the renovations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciate it. I am happy to tell you that most of our bathrooms have been renovated since you were here last year and all will be complete by the end of November. The bathrooms have been renovated to meet AAA 5 Diamond standards and I have been told by many travelers that they are wonderful. We look forward to having you as a guest again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ and we hope you return soon. Let us know what you think of the bathrooms.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't be my first choice. The front desk staff is friendly and the corporate rates are great. Fresh fruits - lots of choices for the free morning continental breakfast in the lobby. However the rooms and bathrooms need to be updated - the hotel is old but the beds and bathrooms shouldn't be too.

• Stayed June 2013
I was thrilled to read you found the front desk staff friendly and the complimentary cold breakfast buffet good with many choices. Unfortunately you found the guestroom bathrooms lacking and needing an update and I am happy to say that 85% of our bathrooms have just been renovated. No expense has been spared and the bathrooms have been renovated to meet AAA 5 Diamond standards. All bathrooms will be complete by the end of November and I know based on guest feedback that they are the best in the area. We have been ranked number 1 on Trip Advisor for over three years now (far ahead of the Westin and Hyatt) in spite of our older bathrooms since we provide complimentary Wi-Fi, consistent excellent and friendly service, complimentary cold breakfast buffet, hot beverages available 24 hours a day, welcome beverage and sweet, two restaurants including an award winning steakhouse, complimentary local transportation, a bedding package that exceeds even the Westin brand, etc.. Give us a shot again and ask for a newly renovated bathroom. I am sure you will be very pleased. Let me know what you think.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!