“What a Find!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Goochland, Virginia
“What a Find!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We drove to Morristown to visit a relative in local Med Ctr. Not a good reason for a visit anywhere. This hotel was recommended to us. The entire city was blanketed with snow thanks to storm Nemo. As we approached the hotel we literally gasped with delight! A Currier & Ives card. Inside is a beautiful example of Victoriana with all the mod cons of 2013, including FREE Internet, and urns of delicious fresh coffee always available. After 7 hours in the car we headed to one of their 2 bars (the more formal dining room bar) where we met Keith and Chris, 2 congenial and welcoming gentlemen. The decor of that part of the hotel is spectacular. There is a glass atrium for groups and/or events that looked like Fairyland with the snow outside. Giant crystal chandeliers and everything white, white. Wow. The woodwork in this pace is truly from another age.
Our room was a king, nothing spectacular, but well decorated for the age of the establishment. A little more attention to furniture dusting would go a long way. The bed was comfortable with nice linens. The bathroom was adequate.
Rod's Steakhouse was fabulous. We sat in a train car from a former baron of U.S. industry and marveled at the details that went along with that era.

Room Tip: Fourth floor 401-409 nice views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Katherine A
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
First of all and most importantly I hope that your relative is feeling better and that you were able to safely travel during the recent snow storm. We all truly appreciate the wonderful, descriptive feedback that you provided and look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My parents still live in Livingston so we started coming here after some unpleasant experiences with the snobby and unresponsive management at the Hilton-Short Hills. What a welcome relief!
This is an older hotel which has always had a fine reputation. The food is excellent, the rooms are elegant and the pool and fitness area are clean and well monitored which is much more than I can say about the Hilton. Down the street you can find shopping and cultural activity in the rest of Morristown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jill L
Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your business and we hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you visit your family in Livingston or anytime you visit NYC or northern NJ. Thank you for complimenting the excellent food, elegant rooms and clean, well maintained pool and fitness area. We all love to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you as a guest again.

Georgia
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My experience at this hotel was only "so so". I think the lobby was lovely and I loved the free breakfast. The restaurants were also great, so the convenience of being able to walk downstairs to the restaurants was nice. Staff was friendly.

However, I did not have a good experience in my room. It was outdated, but I could have looked past that. My bathroom smelled really terrible upon arrival, and the shower head (which was one of the hand wands) would not stay upright - meaning I had to try to maneuver myself each shower to wash my hair. I also had an issue with the heater, which woke me up in the middle of the night with a loud clicking sound that went on all night. (I did alert the staff, so my hope is that it was fixed.)

It's not a bad hotel, but, having stayed in this area quite frequently for more than 5 years, there are much better options I would rather stay at near by!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am sorry we did not meet all of your expectations but disappointed you did not offer us the opportunity to repair the items in question. None of the items you mentioned are unique to our property, they happen everywhere regardless of location or cost of rooms. The difference though is how the property responds to your concerns. I assure you they would have been promptly repaired and you would have left feeling completely satisfied. I have to respectfully disagree with your comment about better options being available nearby. Trip Advisor guests have ranked our hotel the highest ranked full service hotel in the entire Sklands Region of NJ (a distance of approx. 45 miles) and we have been the number one ranked hotel of any kind in Morristown for over two years. I am happy you found the staff friendly and loved the free breakfast and I hope you will give us another chance. Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to give us another opportunity to show you what so many of your fellow Trip Advisor guests already know about The Madison Hotel.

Belgium
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during a business trip. Room was very large, but a bit dusty and outdated. Friendly staff. Breakfast was very poor, there wasn't even a decent sitting area to eat your breakfast, let alone a few couches. Also no bread + ham/cheese...

Attached to the hotel is however a wonderful restaurant where we drank delicious cocktails and had very good diners. It was a company lunch which totalled up to 3k $, we were really treated by the whole restaurant.

Room Tip: Breakfast is very poor and almost no choice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. Our property truly is retro/traditional and we are very proud of it. Based on comments from most other Trip Advisor guests I dont believe that is a bad thing. I am glad you enjoyed the wonderful restaurant, large rooms and friendly staff but cannot understand your comments about our complimentary continental breakfast. If you would not mind please call or email me at smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com to clarify what you wrote. You mentioned we had no bread. Our bread selection includes not one but two types of bread, english muffins, croissants and bagels. In addition we have pasteries, cut fruit, whole fruit, blueberries, assorted cereals, hard boiled eggs, instant oatmeal with toppings, granola bars, several selections of juice, milk, teas, hot chocolate, coffee, etc. Almost all comments made on Trip Advisor rave about the selection. Lastly, we have 56 seats (76 if you count our patio) for guests to sit and enjoy the complimentary continental breakfast. And if that was not enough of a selection for you we also serve hot breakfast in the restaurant with all the traditional selections at reasonable prices. Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope you will reach out to me and explain your comments about breakfast and I hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

NY, NY
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We used the Madison Hotel to host some business guests this past December. It was nice that they provided a warm breakfast and coffee in the morning and it was decorated very nicely for the holidays. The rooms can use some upgrading however the hotel in general is very nice. The restaurant is also fabulous!

• Stayed December 2012
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We know you have many choices in the area to stay and are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the number one ranked hotel as ranked by Trip Advisor guests in Morristown. It was our pleasure having you as a guest and I am glad you enjoyed the holiday decorations, breakfast, 24 hour a day coffee, tea and hot chocolate as well as the "fabulous restaurants". Please stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Ocean County NJ
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I came with my children during winter break and stayed at The Madison. The staff catered to all our needs and provided us with adjoining rooms near the pool and fitness center upon request. We especially enjoyed playing complimentary board games in front of the cozy fire place with our kids. I would definitely recommend The Madison Hotel to anyone who needs a hotel in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for staying at our hotel with your family. We always enjoy having the children here and I am glad we were able to accomodate your requests. It was our pleasure and we thank you for recommending us and we hope you will visit us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family and I had to spend two nights at this hotel because our house was being renovated.
This hotel stands out from many chain hotels, Proximity to New York and Short Hills Mall as well as presence of a great restaurant" Rod’s Steak & Seafood Grille" definitely makes this hotel a place to stop by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!