“Nice place for business guests”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
NY, NY
“Nice place for business guests”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We used the Madison Hotel to host some business guests this past December. It was nice that they provided a warm breakfast and coffee in the morning and it was decorated very nicely for the holidays. The rooms can use some upgrading however the hotel in general is very nice. The restaurant is also fabulous!

• Stayed December 2012
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We know you have many choices in the area to stay and are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the number one ranked hotel as ranked by Trip Advisor guests in Morristown. It was our pleasure having you as a guest and I am glad you enjoyed the holiday decorations, breakfast, 24 hour a day coffee, tea and hot chocolate as well as the "fabulous restaurants". Please stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ocean County NJ
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I came with my children during winter break and stayed at The Madison. The staff catered to all our needs and provided us with adjoining rooms near the pool and fitness center upon request. We especially enjoyed playing complimentary board games in front of the cozy fire place with our kids. I would definitely recommend The Madison Hotel to anyone who needs a hotel in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for staying at our hotel with your family. We always enjoy having the children here and I am glad we were able to accomodate your requests. It was our pleasure and we thank you for recommending us and we hope you will visit us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family and I had to spend two nights at this hotel because our house was being renovated.
This hotel stands out from many chain hotels, Proximity to New York and Short Hills Mall as well as presence of a great restaurant" Rod’s Steak & Seafood Grille" definitely makes this hotel a place to stop by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Brooklyn, New York, United States

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Safety Harbor, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and loved the atmosphere or this place and enjoyed the restaurants and bars. The food was great and the staff was enjoyable. After a trip to NYC was canceled due to weather and driving conditions not ideal for travel we were very happy to be in such a fun and welcoming place. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback as well as your business. We appreciate your comments about the great food and enjoyable staff and were thrilled to hear you loved the atmosphere (finding it fun and welcoming) and would definitely stay here again. We hope you will recommend us and stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I have had the good fortune of staying at The Madison Hotel twice in the past year. Each stay starts with NJ's friendliest front desk staff. In the winter, the smell of the wood burning fireplace in the middle of the sunken lobby catches your senses along with the large cookies on the counter when you are checking in. Breakfast each day is served in the lobby. Unlike most other hotels, the executive staff of the hotel within earshot of the front desk enabling them to know what is going on first hand. With the Convent Station NJ Transit station located just across the parking lot, getting on a train to Newark or NYC is a breeze. The 2 restaurants at the Madison are great and Morristown and Madison offer plenty of great options as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. The staff and I appreciate your comments about the friendliness of the front desk staff as well as the placement of the executive staff. I was happy to hear you enjoyed the fire in our sunken lobby, our complimentary cookies and breakfast and I hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Nashville TN, United States
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Unlike most guests that will be frequenting this hotel, I was there for an extended stay. Some of the things that bothered me the most would probably not be so burdensome to someone just enjoying a weekend stay.

Pros:
- Great location for this area of NJ. The train station is easily walkable.
- The hotel lobby has beautiful antique charm, the woodwork is stunning.
- Both restaurants attached to the hotel are good and have outstanding bar service.
- I stayed in the hotel for two weeks right before the holidays and got to see many holiday parties, they decorated for these beautifully.
- The majority of the front desk staff are warm and friendly.
-The rooms are large.
- The evening bellman and driver is an absolute pleasure to be around. I always felt that he went the extra mile.

Cons:
-This hotel is in need of major, major renovations! The television in my room was at least 10 years old, the curtains, carpet and wallpaper were all in dire need of an update. My outlets in my room were so worn I could not charge my phone or laptop bedside as the chargers just kept slipping out of the wall. Their blow dryers in room are all in one wall unit that barely work.
-THERE IS NOT A THERMOSTAT!!! They have window units that you must switch on and off for temperature control. (motel 6 much?) Which was a huge inconvenience. I had to basically hotbox my room before bed and wake up fifteen minutes early to turn on the heat so I wouldn't freeze getting out of the shower. I woke up cold several times.
-My key stopped working numerous times, I travel at least 18 weeks a year and I am beyond confident that I wasn't doing anything to deactivate the key. I also ran into several people at the desk having the same problem.
-Room service got my order wrong. every, single, time.
-One afternoon front desk attendant is horribly, horribly rude. I have no idea why she is working in customer service.

In conclusion, if you're coming for an event and just need a place for a night or two stay The Madison Hotel it's an okay place. Otherwise, don't even think about it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kasey L
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments, I really do appreciate the feedback. I most say however that many, many guests stay with us for months at a time in fact we currently have three guests that have been here for over a year and in the past have had many guests that have stayed weeks and even months at a time. They stay with us for many of the reason you mentioned above including the large rooms, excellent location, good restaurants and bar, warm and friendly front desk and bell staff as well as complimentary local calls, complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary internet as well as complimentary coffee, tea, hot cocoa, hot apple cider and cookies and finally the beauty and comfort of the hotel itself. The other items other than the thermostat and decor (which is loved by most who stay here as evidenced by most of the comments you see below must remain traditional looking to ensure it flows nicely with the lobby, restaurants, meeting rooms, etc. If our rooms were modern looking it would not fit with the rest of our property which you said was beautiful) are readily fixable if they do not please the customer. We would have been more then happy to replace the outlets if they were causing you problems or replace the hair dryer if you felt it had to be. The TV's although bulky are much less then 10 years old and although not as sleek as the new flat screens on the market today work beautifully and are all but covered by a beautiful wooden armoire. I am not sure what happened with your keys, it does happen here just like it happens at all hotels but it is more rare here than at other hotels I have worked at and not something we hear many complaints about. I urge you to try us again and if something does not meet your expectations, let anyone on the staff know (including me) and we will make it right for you. Thanks again for your business and I hope you will reconsider and stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ. We are the number one ranked hotel in Morristown and have been for almost two years because we try our best and are committed to providing the BEST service, cleanest hotel and friendliest staff. If we fail at any of those please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!