“I like unusual so this was great”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Older but fun. Visiting colleague who used to go to Drew Uniersity down the street. Great places to walk around near a number of other historic universities, Convent Station and other places. Even a cloisered convent near there. Unusual. Not your usual box sort of hotel. Nice. Staff pleasant. Will return.

Room Tip: Rooms average size but very clean. Clean really counts for me.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We all appreciate you saying the hotel is nice with a pleasant staff and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Madison - it is an older hotel, distinctively beautiful. The lobby was grand, the breakfast buffet had one of the best selections I have ever experienced - (real bagels, not from a bag)...and the staff was friendly. My only complaint was that the bathroom fan in our room was noisy and was also coupled with the bathroom light. I wrote to the manager, who promptly replied (in itself unusual) and said that they would fix it right away.
The rates were also very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for calling our hotel beautiful with a grand lobby and one of the best breakfast buffets you have ever seen. We appreciate your comments, your business and most importantly your recommendation. I hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I live in Dublin, Ireland but I am from the Morristown area in NJ. I stayed at The Madison Hotel this past Christmas (2012) season for 11 days. It was my second stay in 6 months. I could not be more pleased with the incredibly hospitable and friendly front desk staff, efficient room staff and truly amazing restaurant staff in the hotel at both Rod's Steakhouse and The Red Dog Tavern. I ate at both restaurants frequently to entertain family and friends - the food is delicious and the price point is exceptional for the quality of the food and wine list. The hotel is right next to the Convent Station Train Station which has a direct line to NYC. And because it was Christmastime, the post office and Church across the street was a real convenience. I did not need a car to travel as I could hop on the train to go to Morristown where there are also great shopping and restaurants. I would give the Madison Hotel 10 stars if I could rather than 5. I travel all over the world and my stay could not have been more enjoyable. I could entertain my visiting family over coffee and the gorgeous continental breakfast that is included in the room price in front of a roaring and beautiful fireplace in a living room atmosphere that is both homey and cosy while maintaining an elegant feel. I have read other reviews here n this site and can only guess that the negative reviewers must have had an off day themselves. Without exception, every person at the hotel from the front desk to the restaurant staff are excellent and exceptional at their jobs. I want to especially single out Christine and Ellie at the front desk who had an answer for every question I asked (there were a lot of them!). I even booked a family member in after I left to stay on I was so impressed. Great value especially for families and professionals who need a place to stay long term. Thank you Madison Hotel, the Keller family and staff for a home away from home. From Dublin Ireland to Morristown NJ with love.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your amazing critique, it was truly a pleasure reading them all. I appreciate everything you said and let Ellie and Christine know about your compliments. I always take special pride in reading comments from guests who have stayed here multiple times or for long periods of time since they truly get a feel for what happens day and night every day and night. I am thrilled you had such a great time and even more pleased your recommended us. Please let us know how your relative enjoyed their stay. Feel free to give me a call and we hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were there for the new year's eve package, the hotel is old but kept really clean. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The party was nice but i think it is overpriced, i know it's not the hotel's fault but the event promoter. The food and drinks were very good, the staff during the party was excellent. It is also close to St. Thomas More Catholic church and train station. Overall very happy with the stay especially during winter, coming from FL the snow with the landscape and the homes are a welcoming sight. I would rate it 4 stars just because of the party but the hotel it self is 5. Great job for the staff, will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for spending NYE with us. I hope 2013 is filled with lots of love, health and happiness. Thank you for your comments about how clean the hotel was, how friendly and helpful the staff was as well as how good the food and drink were. I hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ or simply need to get away from the Sunshine State.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our recent 3 night stay during Christmas week exceeded our expectations for a relaxing getaway after a hectic Fall and Christmas celebrations. The staff were very accommodating and responded to our questions and even anticipated our needs. When I was concerned about using the pool on a chilly day, Sandra at the front desk called for a terry robe, which appeared in minutes. THANK YOU, SANDRA!
We enjoyed Shanghai Jazz in Madison - a warm, welcoming Chinese restaurant with superb jazz. The hotel's restaurants are quite good. Rod's price fixe is an especially good deal with solid food and generous portions.
We booked another night in Jan.

Room Tip: Our request for a quiet room was accommodated.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to see you were coming back this month and feel confident your stay will be just as enjoyable. We all appreciate your comments about Sandra, the accommodating staff that anticipated your needs and our two good restaurants and look forward to having you as a guest again.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My third stay at The Madison Hotel, this time for 4 nights over Christmas. The lobby was very festive, every staff member I encountered was friendly, the breakfast bar had plenty of choices the beds are very comfy. Overall, a home away from home. So convenient to walk a block to the Convent Station and ride 55 minutes into the city. Will return Again and again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your continued loyalty and promise to return again and again. We all appreciate your business as well as your comments about the friendly staff, comfy beds and the many choices available for breakfast. Stop by and introduce yourself next time you stay with us.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed here Dec 13th- 16th for company business (meetings/holiday party). Been here before and find the hotel very charming. Food service for meetings was great! Free wifi worked awesome. Love the lobby all decorated nicely for Christmas and the working fireplace is very cozy. Free breakfast is pretty good- but same stuff every day. Rooms are clean and nicely appointed. Beds are nice and firm with great pillows.

Love the fact that you can walk across the parking lot and hop on the NJ transit (Convent Station) to go into NYC. AWESOME!!

I have a few complaints this year unfortunately. The Keurig coffee maker in my room did not work...which was annoying as you have to go down to the lobby for a cup of coffee. Would rather stay in my pajama's and not have to get dressed. I told the lady at the front desk right away but apparently no one bother to get it working or get it replaced...disappointing.

Beware of room 357!! I stayed in this room which is right above the glass atrium. This is where they have weddings and I knew it was going to be very loud. The loud music was generally over by 11:30- 12:00- which was fine with me.

There is an adjoining room (#347) next door and the folks staying there were extremely loud at 1:30 AM!! In & out of the room- slamming the door constantly...and I could hear every word that was said. Basically up partying all night! I called down to the front desk and they sent someone up immediately. Well these same folks were at it again the next night- this time at 2:00 AM!! I took care of it myself!! I was very upset as I barely slept the night before and consider this to be extremely RUDE!! Thankfully these folks finally left and I got a decent night's sleep the last night. I tried to switch rooms the after the first night but the hotel was full.

Overall the hotel is great- staff and food is above average! I just had a "bad" time with the annoying neighbors this year and did not get much sleep. Will come back again next year!

Room Tip: Stay away from 357- right above the atrium.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your continued loyalty. We look forward to having you as a guest again next year. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me in advance so I can ensure you get a room you will be happy with. Sorry about the Keurig and noisy neighbors, I have shared your feedback with the staff and appreciate you letting me know. I am thrilled you found the hotel charming with great food, awesome wi-fi, lovely lobby, clean nicely appointed rooms with nice beds and great pillows. Have a great new year and hopefully we will see you again next December if not sooner.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!