“Rooms could use a little tlc”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stay at this hotel because of the convenience to the train station. The restaurants are great. Hotel front desk is friendly. On the down side many times I am almost run over by service people with carts zooming on and off the elevator even though they have a service elevator. If you are looking for an updated room with good lighting, this is not the place for you. I believe some of the hotel has been updated, but the guest rooms really need an overhaul. Our heating unit was extremely loud, mattress was squeaky and bathroom had water stains on ceiling. What you would expect from a room that was 15 years or older. If this hotel was not across the street from the train station, I would not choose the Madison. I think this hotel really caters to customers who are having business events or weddings on location. Not a good value for the price. Try the Short Hills Hilton!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry we did not live up to our stellar reputation. It is a shame you encountered those issues in one of our rooms, it is unacceptable and immediately upon reciept of your feedback I had staff check for the issues you mentioned. Did you let anyone know about the issues when you were here? We would have been able to move you to a different room. I do appreciate you pointing out the two great restaurants and friendly front desk staff. I did want to make you and those who read this posting aware that the hotel you recommended achieved a good score from Trip Advisor guests of 86.7 YTD 2012, however we have a YTD score of 92.7 which is not only 6.0 points higher but also the highest score for a full service hotel in a 15 mile radius. In addition, not only are we doing excellent this year but over the past 4 years combined we have a score of 90.5 (the only full service hotel in a 15 mile radius with a score over 90.0) and they have a score of 87.7. So, while we are getting better in the eyes of Trip Advisor members they are getting worse. Lastly, our hotel is used by everyone and in fact business groups and weddings only make up a little over 30% of our business. Please consider giving us another shot, I feel fairly certain we can win you over. Let me know if you would like to take me up on the offer.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We live close by and my daughter has wanted to get married here since she was a little girl. The greenhouse room is absolutely beautiful and the lights make it magical. My daughter booked the hotel for her wedding and we notified the guests of the venue. I called to reserve 4 rooms for our party and after calling 3 times someone was finally there to take the reservation. I shouldn't have bothered because when I called back they had it wrong. Several members of the family had the same problem and commented that they hoped that they actually had rooms booked after their experience on the phone. The front desk is manned by a group of incompetent , rude, poorly trained young people. It took forever to check in, even though we were the only ones there, and they forgot to give out the welcoming bags to our guests. Every question was met by either being ignored or cut short. The kids were all excited to swim in March and we asked about the pool and we were told it was open. It was freezing ! The kids went in the hot tub and did not have much fun. After a few hours someone came and closed the roof that was open. The cocktail hour was perfect. The wedding itself was not so great. We had two servers for a little over a hundred people. One of the servers was a trainee. The hot foods were cold and the cold foods were hot. The breakfast was mediocre.
The rooms were very pretty and comfortable. I did not notice any odor, but we were there in Mar and the heat being on might have helped.
I hope they shape up the front desk people, have someone available to take reservations and provide enough servers to serve the guests in a reasonable time frame. Basically all management issues.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor - my question is if you were so unhappy why did you wait so long to let us know? We are commited to our guests satisfaction and as you can see from almost all of the comments on Trip Advisor we have been quite successful at doing that. If we had known you were unhappy that day we could have done something that may have made your celebration more enjoyable. The wedding was 9 months ago and as far as I know no one including the bride or groom has reached out to anyone at the hotel or catering department to discuss their unhappiness in that 9 month period. I do apologize that you were not entirely happy and would like to hear more about what happened. The front desk staff that you were so critical of is highly thought of by both guests that stayed with us and posted comments on Trip Advisor (please read the other comments posted below yours) as well as those guests who fill our internal comment cards. On those comment cards over the past 12 months they have an average of 97.0 out of a 100.00 for check ins which is over 6 points higher then the over 200 upscale hotels we are compared against, the hotel operators have averaged a score of 96.0 over the same period which is 10 points higher then the comp set and the reservation department has a score of 96.0 which is 3 points higher then the comp set. That being said I would like to see what went wrong when you checked in so please reach out to me so we can discuss and possibly redeem ourselves in you and your daughters eyes. Thank you again and I am sorry that you had to think about this for past 9 months.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I am a frequent traveler and the Madison Hotel was the best place for the money by far. The convenient location to the train station (right next door) makes this a great alternative to the over priced hotels in NYC. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, the room was clean and the hotel itself is quaint and homey while being luxurious enough for a wedding. Best part was coffee set up whenever I wanted it and an excellent continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Book early and use your AARP or AAA for a discount
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate you commenting on our convenient location to the NYC train, our friendly and knowledgeable staff, our clean rooms, excellent continental breakfast as well as our coffee/tea/hot chocolate availabillty. You did forget to mention the complimentary cookies and hot apple cider offered in the early evening. The oatmeal cookies go great with the hot apple cider while staring at the roaring fire in the fireplace. I hope you will return often and stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Recently my husband recommended that we travel to The Madison for a day of relaxation and shopping. We have frequently stayed in NYC historic hotels when visiting the area (which we love) and felt from the on line reviews that we would expect the same or similiar accomondations at the Madison. The moment we entered the hotel (which we were warmly welcomed) to the front desk our eyes began to scan the beautiful woodwork and decor. The front desk was helpful and accommondating to our request ( a room away from the pool and a quiet frontage). We exchanged friendly words and went on to our room. ...the short walk was similiar to passing in time...the beautiful decor, the glass ballroom , the settings for seating and or dinner made our hearts sing. Even the detail for the atm was elegantly worked into the hotels' environment. Our room was perfect. Spacious, beautiful view (and quiet) with all of the accomondations of the fine big city hotels. We could not wait to explore the entire hotel and we quickly made our way to enjoy a beverage and snack unpon our arrival. On our way we opened questions to staff we encountered and all were courteous and more than gracious in providing answers to the history , decor and or need of services. At the end of our overnight stay our goal was achieved. We relaxed, felt pampered and enjoyed the great crabcakes and champagne at Rods. Our morning departure was relaxing as we sipped on tea in the ambiance of an English Manor lobby and secured directions to our next destation via the use of hotel computers. (free to their guest.) We were so delighted with our stay be booked an overnight for December ...in fact this may be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Room Tip: We requested a room away from the pool and pretty and quiet view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank globird1958

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments (your eye for detail is quite good) about your stay on Trip Advisor we truly appreciate them and are very hopeful that you will continue to stay with us whenever you need to relax in northern NJ or near NYC.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hotel is great and so convenient for train travel to NYC. Rooms were a bit "musty" but nice. Great breakfast - better than most. Adjoining restaurants are fabulous! Some minor improvements would be a refrigerator, safe and magnifying make-up mirror in the rooms.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you saying the hotel is great with nice rooms a great complimentary cold breakfast buffet and two fabulous restaurants. We look forward to and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

It was recommended that I book my night in Morristown at the Madison Hotel since it is here that my company, whose headquarters is in Morristown, has an agreement. It is located directly across the street from the Madison train depot where one can catch a train into New York City. What a treat it was.

I do a lot of traveling abroad and have spent more nights that I can count in England. While most of of the inns and non-chain hotels in England are quaintly attractive, many of them are poorly maintained, outdated and simply not functional for a business traveler. Because of this, I can't wait to get my business finished and head home.

The Madison looks like an authentic English Inn but with one key difference. The Madison has been completely updated and well thought out for a business traveler. The decor is decidedly English in style. If I hadn't known better, I'd have thought I was in England when I entered the attractive lobby.

The people at reception were friendly and helpful and along with my key, I was provided a bottle of water. The room was mall but very attractively decorated. It was cozy. And the bed was a dream machine. Everything about the room was well thought out for the business traveler right down to the high speed internet.

The next morning, I was treated to a pretty standard continental breakfast that was plentiful including great coffee. Breakfast is served in a comfortable lobby eating area complete with a roaring fire place. The office personnel had received a rather heavy package on my behalf which was properly handled and with which assistance was provided when I needed to fetch it. They also rendered immediate assistance when we needed directions in Morristown. There was plenty of free parking at the hotel.

There is an adjacent bar and restaurant that looks just like an English pub from the outside. I didn't have the opportunity to experience it but the next time I will make it a point. Hopefully they have an overhauled the English menu too because in my humble opinion, good English food is an oxymoron! :)

Room Tip: The parking lot and main entrance is around the back of the hotel, not on Madison.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

It was a pleasure reading your review and I am glad we were able to make you feel at home. We take great pleasure in reading comments such as yours because we are commited to do and provide exactly what you said that we did (minus the good English food of course - LOL). Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We hope you will stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ in the future and I recommend you try one or both of our restaurants when you do. I am sure you will love them.

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We booked a room thru Priceline in the aftermath of sandy, but turned out the hotels reservation system was offline due to the power outage. We faced not having a room to stay when we showed up, but the front desk accommodated us and found us a room. We're very grateful to have a place to stay

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for staying with us, I was thrilled to hear we were able to accommodate you in spite of Hurricane Sandy and I hope you will stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!