“Quiet,elegant and affordable.”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Oley
“Quiet,elegant and affordable.”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently had a wonderful four day stay at The Madison Hotel in Morristown New Jersey. The room was well appointed, very clean and very quiet.
The hotel has the ambience of an older hotel with it's classic decor and lovely antiques and the conveniences of a newer hotel.
The free continental breakfast was very good as was Room Service. All the staff were friendly and professional.
I'm looking for reasons to go back to the area just so I can stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you saying the hotel is well appointed, very clean with classic decor and lovely antiques as well as a very good complimentary cold breakfast buffet and room service. It is truly a pleasure reading that you found the staff friendly and professional and we look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Madison Hotel perfectly combines the best of a modern upscale motel with the understated elegence of a grand old lady of years gone by. The hotel has been totally updated, but the exterior and the common rooms have a marvelous warm feel, with rich woods, a wood-burning fireplace in a converstation pit, and a very accommodating staff. There is no feeling of snobbery or stuffyness which is sometimes apparent in large historic hotels.
The rooms are well equipped with fine furniture, comfortable bedding, quality toiletries, plenty of hot water, and are clean and spotless. The continental breakfast each morning has lots of fresh fruit, fresh-baked pastries, and hot coffee and cold juice, but no rubber omelets that were made months (or years) ago in some far-away factory, nor do they have the nasty waffle-maker that drips all over.
There are many facilities for hosting weddings, parties, reunions, etc. and the hotel seems well equipped to support them. The restaurant and the pub were comfortable but crowded, and the menu was adequate and fairly priced.
This is a hotel that I would be happy to return to if I find myself in this area again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to read that you found our staff accommodating, the rooms clean, the restaurants comfortable, etc. We all appreciate the comments and look forwarding to you returning to The Madison Hotel whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

North Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 14, 2012

It is clean and comfortable but it needs work.We were promised a "luxury" room but it definitely was not.An old TV and anempty space where a chair should be.The breakfast is nice and the coffee is good.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for saying our hotel was clean and comfortable with a nice complimentary breakfast and good complimentary coffee available 24 hours a day. I was thrilled we were able to provide you a home away from home with those quality amenities. I am sorry the TV did not meet your expectations and I hope that it will not influence your decision to stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Manu (sp?) could not handle the reasonable request to broadcast an NYY game. SK he was rude and short-tempered. Too bad, she brought down the rating dramatically from the. Rest of this experience. Christine at the desk was great and so was the restaurant staff. What a shame that an individual's nasty, mean attitude can ruin an entire experience. With unemployment what it is, they can surely find a replacement. (especially form the night shift.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Sorry your experience with our Overnight Manager was so unpleasant. I have spoken with her as well as the security officer and viewed the security tapes from that evening. You and I are both aware that their is more to this story. I do not feel Trip Advisor is the proper forum to discuss all that happened so if you would like to discuss why your request was turned down please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I did share your comments with Christine and she appreciates the compliment.

Clearwater, FL
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at the Madison for 5 nights while in Morristown on business travel. Honestly my first thought after seeing my room was that it looked like an antique show threw up. I prefer a contemporary style, so the Madison was a little over the top, but it really grew on me! The room was a good size with all the things I like to have for an extended stay - a desk set-up with an adjustable chair, a table and chair for meals and a comfy chair/ottoman set. The room didn't feel crowded either. The bed was nice, good quality sheets/duvet and a nice selection of pillows. The coffee maker was a Keurig, not my favorite but coffee is available in the lobby with the free breakfast. The bathroom was average and could use a refresh.
I requested and was given a room on the top 4th floor, away from the elevator and train station. I'm glad I did because the windows are not very insulating. I could still hear the train and periodically road noise.
I ate in both restaurants. The food was good, not great. The service was very good. Disappointment - I tried the pulled pork in the Red Dog my first day, it was really mushy. I ended up sending it back for a burger. I enjoyed the crab cakes (upscale restaurant) and flatbread (Red Dog). My favorite meal was the filet in the Red Dog.
The train station is right across the street and makes it super easy to go into NYC for an evening ($11.5 each way).
Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should request to be away from the train station.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you saying the hotel is very nice and that you would recommend The Madison Hotel and would stay with us again. We look forward to you staying with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just finished 5 days in Morristown at the Madison. I agree that the guest rooms and hallways could use some updating, but there is lots to recommend this hotel. The lobby with its warm panelling and wood-burning fireplace is very inviting. The complimentary continental breakfast is very good, with tasty fresh fruit and deliciious pastries -- along with the other standard fare. The workout room is relatively small, but it is surprisingly well equipped with weights, weighted balls, and swiss balls. The bed in our room was very comfortable, and the bathroom towels were nice and thick. Loved both. We ate in both restaurants. Food was very well prepared and reasonably priced. Generous pours and reasonable prices on liquor. There is a well-maintained bike/walk trail near the hotel, and the nearby commuter train can get you to Manhattan in just over an hour. We found staff to be helpful and the concierge very knowledgeable about the many attractions in and near Morristown. One minor disappointment was the lack of a mini-bar -- we got in late last night and the downstairs bars were already closed. Would have been nice to have access to a beer! Two suggestions -- (1) a couple of exercise mats in the workout room and (2) freshen up the air in the upstairs hallways!

Room Tip: I would not want to stay on the first floor near the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your feedback and was happy to read you enjoyed the breakfast, workout room, bed, towels, restaurant, helpful staff and location to train and walking trail. I will purchase a few workout mats, thank you for making me aware of that and we hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel could use some updating, but overall is in good shape. It's clean, it's quiet, and the staff is quite friendly. Good food, though pricey. Just a few steps away from the train, and plenty of parking if you bring your car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you saying the hotel is clean and quiet, has great food and friendly staff. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!