“This would have been dramatically different but for the night shift front desk attendant Maju (sp?), nasty, mean!!!!!!!!”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Manu (sp?) could not handle the reasonable request to broadcast an NYY game. SK he was rude and short-tempered. Too bad, she brought down the rating dramatically from the. Rest of this experience. Christine at the desk was great and so was the restaurant staff. What a shame that an individual's nasty, mean attitude can ruin an entire experience. With unemployment what it is, they can surely find a replacement. (especially form the night shift.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Sorry your experience with our Overnight Manager was so unpleasant. I have spoken with her as well as the security officer and viewed the security tapes from that evening. You and I are both aware that their is more to this story. I do not feel Trip Advisor is the proper forum to discuss all that happened so if you would like to discuss why your request was turned down please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I did share your comments with Christine and she appreciates the compliment.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at the Madison for 5 nights while in Morristown on business travel. Honestly my first thought after seeing my room was that it looked like an antique show threw up. I prefer a contemporary style, so the Madison was a little over the top, but it really grew on me! The room was a good size with all the things I like to have for an extended stay - a desk set-up with an adjustable chair, a table and chair for meals and a comfy chair/ottoman set. The room didn't feel crowded either. The bed was nice, good quality sheets/duvet and a nice selection of pillows. The coffee maker was a Keurig, not my favorite but coffee is available in the lobby with the free breakfast. The bathroom was average and could use a refresh.
I requested and was given a room on the top 4th floor, away from the elevator and train station. I'm glad I did because the windows are not very insulating. I could still hear the train and periodically road noise.
I ate in both restaurants. The food was good, not great. The service was very good. Disappointment - I tried the pulled pork in the Red Dog my first day, it was really mushy. I ended up sending it back for a burger. I enjoyed the crab cakes (upscale restaurant) and flatbread (Red Dog). My favorite meal was the filet in the Red Dog.
The train station is right across the street and makes it super easy to go into NYC for an evening ($11.5 each way).
Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should request to be away from the train station.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you saying the hotel is very nice and that you would recommend The Madison Hotel and would stay with us again. We look forward to you staying with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just finished 5 days in Morristown at the Madison. I agree that the guest rooms and hallways could use some updating, but there is lots to recommend this hotel. The lobby with its warm panelling and wood-burning fireplace is very inviting. The complimentary continental breakfast is very good, with tasty fresh fruit and deliciious pastries -- along with the other standard fare. The workout room is relatively small, but it is surprisingly well equipped with weights, weighted balls, and swiss balls. The bed in our room was very comfortable, and the bathroom towels were nice and thick. Loved both. We ate in both restaurants. Food was very well prepared and reasonably priced. Generous pours and reasonable prices on liquor. There is a well-maintained bike/walk trail near the hotel, and the nearby commuter train can get you to Manhattan in just over an hour. We found staff to be helpful and the concierge very knowledgeable about the many attractions in and near Morristown. One minor disappointment was the lack of a mini-bar -- we got in late last night and the downstairs bars were already closed. Would have been nice to have access to a beer! Two suggestions -- (1) a couple of exercise mats in the workout room and (2) freshen up the air in the upstairs hallways!

Room Tip: I would not want to stay on the first floor near the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your feedback and was happy to read you enjoyed the breakfast, workout room, bed, towels, restaurant, helpful staff and location to train and walking trail. I will purchase a few workout mats, thank you for making me aware of that and we hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel could use some updating, but overall is in good shape. It's clean, it's quiet, and the staff is quite friendly. Good food, though pricey. Just a few steps away from the train, and plenty of parking if you bring your car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you saying the hotel is clean and quiet, has great food and friendly staff. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My first experience with The Madison Hotel was for brunch a few months ago. I thought what a great place to get away !! A friend from the UK was going to be in NJ for a few days and I booked The Madison. Reservations was quick and easy. They give a triple AAA discount. The rates were amazing. The weekend I choose also had 3 wedding and a reunion booked there.
When I got out of my car in the parking lot I was greeted by Ken the bellman... In the parking lot not at the door ! Front desk was so attentive, quick check- in and answered all my questions. Room was spotless and very inviting. Dinner in the polar car was amazing, ate every bite and service was excellent ! You would never know that the hotel was booked with wedding etc.

Room Tip: I think any room you choose you would be satisfied
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. Thank you also for recognizing Ken our bellperson, the attentive desk that checked you in quick and answered your questions as well as the restaurant service. I was happy to hear you enjoyed dinner and found the room spotless and inviting. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for my cousin's wedding. When making my reservation via phone they mistakenly hung-up on me 2 times. On the 3rd call to them I finally got to make my reservation. Then the day of my arrival I called ahead of time to verify my reservation and they said they didn't have it. I then asked them to continue looking because I knew I had reserved it and they finally found it- they said they had spelled my last name incorrectly.

Upon arrival to the hotel at 1am in the morning- I was greeted by a very grumpy front desk person. We then got to our room and it smelled really musty, and the ceiling had patch marks on it that had not been finished. Then I noticed that on one wall the wall paper had been ripped off and not replaced. It seemed there had been a room issue that was not cleaned up properly and then they put me in the room before the room was ready. I called the front desk and asked for a room change and notified them of the issues. They switched my room.

The 2nd room- the shower curtain was not water proof (I think it was fabric) so every time we took a shower the entire floor outside the shower was wet. (I did make sure the curtain was inside the tub and went from end to end of the tub but it still happened)

The morning after the wedding my cousin and his new bride went down to the restaurant and the staff said they had come to late and they could not serve them until the lunch hour.

It was not a good experience overall. I would never stay here again. I would rather stay at a motel 6. The entire hotel smells musty and is in disrepair. Completely not worth the price.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay, however your score and review title are not a true reflection of what you can expect when you stay at The Madison Hotel. Any visitor to Trip Advisor can simply look above and below your review and clearly see why we are the number one ranked hotel in Morristown as well as the number one ranked full service hotel in at least a 10 mile radius. In fact, in the past 30 months 86% of Trip Advisor guests have ranked us Very Good or Excellent and only 2.6% have given us the score you did. You are correct in saying that you were put into a room undergoing preventive maintenence which should not have happened. However, it was due to a data entry error for which we are very sorry. The room you were first put in was due to be completed on the day you arrived, taken off of out of order status, cleaned and then sold later that night. At midnight with the change in calendar day the computer system showed the room as vacant not out of order since we were going to sell it that day. The error was that we should have manually changed the status once the room was ready to be occupied. I am happy they were able to relocate you to a nearby room on the same floor without making you come downstairs. We take a tremendous amount of pride in keeping our classical property both clean and well maintained. The comments from other guests on Trip Advisor leads me to believe our customers believe we are doing a good job. In regards to the shower curtain I have not been able to recreate what happened and no one who stayed in that room before you or after you has ever commented on it. The shower curtain is made of the same material used at homes and hotels all around the world. In regards to the problem with your phone, is it possible you were using a mobile phone when you called and attempted to make your reservation? This could also be the cause of why your name was misspelled, if the connection was bad maybe the reservation agent had trouble hearing you clearly. When you received your confirmation letter did you notice the incorrect spelling of your name? Did you try using your confirmation number? That takes spelling out of the equation. Lastly, a complimentary cold breakfast buffet is served in the lobby until 10AM and hot breakfast is served in the restaurant until 10AM. At 10AM the restaurant is closed until 11:30AM while it is cleaned and prepared to serve lunch and dinner. However, to ensure no one is left hungry we do offer room service at this time. If you would like to talk further about this please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This past August, my husband and I stayed @ The Madison Hotel in Morristown, N.J. We found it absolutely relaxing and well appointed. They have Continental Breakfast every morning, like so many other hotels, but they had fresh berries, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and so much more than the normal continental. They also have Coffee, Regular & Decaf - 24/7 in the lobby! I have never seen that and it was such a comfort to come back to the hotel, after an evening out and have that at your disposal. This hotel is so quaint, architecture set in the 1890's when this part of the country had millionaires living there! Yes, it was part of Millionaires Row... beautiful wood fireplaces, big arm chairs, nice clean rooms and friendly staff!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Suite - well worth the money! It was spacious and comfortable - like having your own...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it and look forward to you returning as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ. I was happy to hear you found the rooms nice and clean, the staff friendly and our complimentary breakfast selection and complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate especially nice.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!