“Great Hotel!!!!”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel one night with my family being a very nice experience. 100% recommended!!!!. The surrounding area has spectacular views and a train station a few meters away. The atmosphere is very quiet and the facilities are of excellent quality.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you for staying with us, we truly appreciate your business as well as your comments about our hotel. Thank you for recommending us 100% and for saying we have a great hotel with excellent quality. I hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a great hotel with a nice resturant and bar right on site. The customer sevice is exceptional. The rates are reasonable and you can catch the train to New York right behind the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Morristown area.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us and for saying we have a great hotel with a nice restaurant and exceptional service. That really means a lot. I appreciate you recommending us and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Genera Manager

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was very impressed with The Madison--the staff, the accommodations, and the price. For way less than a decent Manhattan hotel, I got all the room and location amenities I wanted, including two nice restaurants and takeout galore, with only an hourlong trip directly into the City (with no stops if you time it right); the train station is literally a few steps away, and the New Jersey Transit schedule is easy to navigate and has a multitude of options in terms of times to leave and come back. I was able to stay an entire week, feel pampered and safe, and get all the extra towels and paper goods and pillows I annoyingly requested every day, and come back with more in my wallet than had I stayed 2-3 nights in Manhattan. The hotel is very nicely appointed, I found all the people who work there to be friendly and helpful, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Thank you, Madison! I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevator on the church side of the hotel, which f...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nicole G

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate it. I am glad you were able to take in the sights and sounds of NYC while you stayed with us. Our hotel truly is a bargain when compared to NYC prices and you were able to get the best of both worlds without the high costs of the city. Thank you for complimenting the staff and the hotel. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a very nice and well maintained older property that has been nicely updated while keeping its original character. Service was very good, and the staff were all extremely friendly. The bar was nice, and drinks were substantial and fairly priced. I expected a bill about twice the size of the one I got. The selection was good too. We didn't dine at the restaurant, but the menu was appealing.

There were lots of freebies that you would not expect from a property of this nature. There were free cookies and lemonade at the front desk. Also 24 hour free coffee and in the lobby. WiFi was free even in the rooms, and was fast. The free continental breakfast was a welcome surprise. There were even a few iPads in the lobby for guest use. The pool was nice. The rooms were well furnished with first quality furniture. However, the rooms had individual AC units rather than central air, so the drone from the air conditioner made it a bit hard to fall asleep - even after the generous pour at the bar.

The hotel and grounds were perfectly clean. Nothing looked worn or down at the heals. The grounds were lovely. The location is great just a few steps to the train to Penn Station. This hotel is worth considering for a New York City trip. The trains run early and late, and the trip takes only a bit over an hour. Parking is free and you can avoid New York City traffic. I expect to return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank naphhof
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your business and your comments. I was thrilled to hear you found the grounds lovely, the hotel nice and well maintained, the service very good and staff very friendly. I was also happy to see you were aware of all the little extras we provide at no charge such as the wi-fi, welcome lemonade and cookies during prime check in hours, 24 hour a day coffee, tea and hot chocolate as well as the breakfast and Kindle Fire's available for use in out lobby. You are right when you say people should consider our hotel when they are thinking about a trip to NYC since many people already do. It is easy and is certainly a bargain compared to NYC properties. Thank you again and we look forward to having you as a guest in the near future.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The exterior and the lobby of the hotel had an old, historic feel which was very nice. The staff was not horrible but I was not completely impressed. For example, the bell boy in front of me was pushing a cart full of luggage and one of the bags fell off. It almost hit my party but he didn't say anything. Instead, he just THREW the bag back on the cart and pushed away. Good thing that wasn't my luggage! As for the hotel room, it was spacious and looked clean. However, walking around the room barefoot, the carpet felt very grimy. It did not feel clean, so I walked around in my heels!

However, the hotel had excellent free amenities. Their continental breakfast was pretty impressive. No hot foods, but plenty of bagels, cereal, fruits, muffins, croissants, oatmeal, and coffee. Also, they had complimentary tea and coffee out ALL NIGHT.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. I slept comfortably and had no major complaints.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate the feedback and look forward to having you as a guest again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ. I am glad you thought the exterior of the hotel and lobby was nice. Sorry to hear about the bellperson...maybe he thought you were further away then you were or he was worried about someone tripping or he was embarrased, etc. I am sure he didnt mean to offend you and based on others feedback it is highly unusual. I also was thrilled to hear you loved the continental breakfast and 24 hour a day coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were impressed with the service and staff,beginning with the planning of our weekend visit to the area,to the dining experiences,services and directions to various sites.As a former resident of the area (30+years ago),I was amazed at all of building and new highways.We especially appreciated the knowledge of the staff in reference to the historical sites.
The accomaditions were "top shelf".We would highly recommend this magnificent hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to hear that you were impressed with the service and the staff as well as the "top shelf" accomodations. Thank you for recommending the Madison Hotel and for calling the property magnificent. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our family was visiting the Universities in the area and it seemed like a perfect destination. The hotel and staff exceeded our expectations. The Madison Hotel is neatly landscaped and unassuming from the exterior, establishing the personal, private experience. The interior feels like a comfortable, well visited mansion, with tile foyer, Victorian woodwork, leather chairs and every amenity. As you walk in to the lobby, you are first greeted by the doorman, then the hotel staff, and finally a small buffet of cookies, coffee and lemonade. The rooms are large, well appointed and well maintained. The robust continental breakfast is held in the lobby and all guests meet and mingle while seated at small tables, the fireplace area or the spacious patio. An interesting convenience is it's proximity to the NJ transit line at Convent Station.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are available for families, a real benefit.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. It was nice to hear the hotel and staff exceeded your expectations and that the rooms were large well appointed and well maintained. I was also happy to hear you enjoyed our welcome treats of cookies and lemonade that we serve during prime check in time as well as our coffee, tea and hot chocolate served 24 hours a day. We hope you enjoyed your visits to the local universities and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 4 in West Orange

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!