“My stay in the Madison Hotel”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Madison, New Jersey
“My stay in the Madison Hotel”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

When I first came to the USA, I stayed at this hotel for just over 6 weeks. New to the States, I quickly realized that this was going to be a very enjoyable experience.
The Hotel is located very conveniently to Convent Station, part of the New Jersey Transit network for easy access to local Towns and of course New York City
I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure I had all the comforts I required. The Restaurant served top quality food and beverages, has great clientele. The room was spacious, very clean and well furnished.
So happy was I with my experience that myself and my wife often visit for a meal or just drinks.
Well done to all the staff - great job!

Room Tip: None - all good rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Welcome to the USA!!! Thank you for your comments and for your business. Since you stayed with us for six weeks you really had an opportunity to see all of us, anytime of the day and I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience, found the staff very friendly and accomodating and found our restaurants enjoyable with top quality food and drink. We look forward to you continuing to frequent our restaurant and hope you will recommend our hotel to anyone who might be visitng you in the future.

Scott McArthur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Our son reserved a room for us when we traveled to NJ to visit him. We were thrilled to see this hotel. It is a magical building from the outside, and has so much character on the inside. Room was lovely, staff was very friendly. Beds were very comfortable. The breakfast served in the morning was wonderful, and there was ample seating available in the lobby area. The hotel was bustling with many happy people there to celebrate weddings, showers, reunions. The atmosphere was contagious. We were there only one night, and so did not use any of the extras like the pool and work out room. Maybe next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We all appreciate your business. I am glad you found the room lovely, staff very friendly, beds comfortable and breakfast wonderful. Please stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ and this time take some time and try out the pool and restaurants. We hope to see you soon.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at this refurbished old hotel on business. On the plus side, the grounds around it are park-like and it is convenient to my client. The lobby has genteel club style feel and the desk staff are very friendly. There is a nice court yard landscaped with pretty flowers and there are chairs and tables to sit out and enjoy them. Beds were comfortable. This older hotel has obviously been rennovated but is still a little ratty in some places. The window of my room had white tape on them so that it would appear that the glass was panes, in keeping with the architecture, Trouble is, the tape was falling off. Towels in the bath were equally as nice as the ones in teh YMCA. Typical of an older hotel, electrical outlets were scarce -- I had to chose between unplugging the clock or lamp to be able to plug in my cell phone chareger by the bed. Bathroom lacked a magnifying mirror.Breakfast came with the room, consisted of decent pastries and bagles, good fresh fruit, but instant oatmeal (YUCK). At $350 per night after you add taxes, overpriced is the best description for this otherwise unremarkable hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I would like to apologize about the condition of the window design in your guestroom, I am sorry that it dampened your enthusiasm about the hotel. I also wanted to make you aware that the newly installed lamp on the desk was designed with travellers like you in mind and has two outlets on the surface within easy reach for guests to charge items as needed. I am sorry you dont like oatmeal, it was a request (along with the raisins and brown sugar topping we provide to spice it up) from so many of our guests that we decided to add it to our wide selection of yogurts, cereals, hard boiled eggs, wide selection of teas, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, orange or apple juice, fresh blueberries, whole fruit, cut melon, bagels and assorted pasteries. I hope you were able to find something you liked. Thank you for recognizing the park like grounds, friendly front desk staff, nicely landscaped courtyard with pretty flowers and seating as well as the comfortable bed. In regards to the price, it is certainly in line with other comparable hotels in the marketplace that in most cases charge even more then we do but do not offer the complimentary breakfast mentioned above to all its guests, charge for wifi (complimentary at the Madison Hotel), have free parking and free local transportation, etc. So although it was costly the night you stayed with us it was a value when compared to other hotels in the area that charge more and give less. Our hotel is the only 4.5 Star Trip Advisor rated full service hotel in Morris County because our loyal guests see the value, combined with the friendly service, clean rooms and public spaces, a choice of two outstanding restaurants in a beautiful park like setting with a exercise room, swimming pool, hot tub etc. and write about their stay with us on Trip Advisor. Thank you again for your comments and if the price is right we hope you stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC. Weekend rates are much lower and if you are a member of AAA or AARP and present your card you are entitled to a 15% discount.

Vermont
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed in the Madison for two nights...during a bridal shower. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Breakfast was okay. Free parking and the train to Penn Station right across the parking lot. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Get on the fourth floor if possible.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, comfortable bed, clean room, free parking, accessability to trains and our complimentary breakfast. Thanks for recommending us and we hope you stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Tucson, Az
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My siblings and I were all in Northern N.J. visiting relatives and needed a nice, convent place to stay. We booked The Madison through Hotwire and got a great deal.

The rooms are very nice, the beds are comfortable and the staff is friendly. They have an onsite workout room and indoor pool. The workout room was very clean and had a good variety of cardio machines, plus dumbbells and a weight machine.

The free continental breakfast had a variety of choices, including fresh fruit, pastries, oatmeal, cold cereal, coffee, hot cocoa tea and juice. There were Keurig coffee machines in the rooms and coffee and tea always available in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your comments about the nice rooms, comfortable beds and friendly staff and hope that you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

North Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for four nights while I attended my college reunion at St. Elizabeth's. Our room was very well appointed, immaculate and contained all possible amenities. The included daily breakfast buffet had a large selection of goodies and enjoying them in the gracious lobby atmosphere was a pleasant way to start each day. The lobby also has two free high speed computers with printers and many Kindles are also offered for patron enjoyment. The staff was very friendly and accommodating to every inquiry/request. We enjoyed a delicious, well-priced lunch in the main Rod's dining area. I heartily recommend the Madison Hotel and when I revisit the area I plan to ALWAYS come here. The Madison Hotel is a jewel. Margaret Quig, North Palm Beach, Florida

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Madison Hotel, I was thrilled to hear you would ALWAYS come back and that you highly recommend our hotel. I hope you enjoyed your reunion, the well appointed and immaculate rooms, the friendly and accomodating staff as well as the Kindle Fires we have in the lobby for your use. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Madison for five nights. We love BOTH New Jersy and New York and the Madison, with NJ Transit's Convent Station a short 5-minute walk away, is a perfect venue for us. The hotel is one I have stayed in for business for many years. It's comfortable, with an attentive staff and has an efficient, healthy (if you want it to be!) breakfast buffet. Staying for "fun" is an even better experience, as you can take advantage of the lovely courtyard and also explore the surrounding towns of Morristown (adding many trendy new shops) and Chatham (home of the Short Hills Mall!). For walking, nothing beats Jockey Hollow and the Frelinghuysen Arboretum, which are both nearby. We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good size, but you might want to ask about proximity to the train station. That c...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!