“Well maintained older hotel in quiet location”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This well maintained hotel offers well furnished, large rooms and an unusually nice continental breakfast. There are also two excellent restaurants on the property. The hotel is next to the Convent train station with direct service to New York's Penn Station. There are conference facilities. This would be an excellent place for a company retreat or meeting if meeting planners are looking to "away from it all."

The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor, we appreciate it. I am glad you found the hotel well maintained with well furnished large rooms and a nice continental breakfast and hope that you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern New Jersey.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

My son & I live in Madison, NJ which is right next to Morristown & stayed at the Madison Hotel due to an emergency medical evacuation - the mold in our basement is making my son ill & we needed to stay somewhere while the PROS did their job cleaning up the basement.
We really needed to stay 3 consecutive nights yet MH only had 2 nights yet made notes for subsequent shifts to "look out" for cancellations so that we could continue the stay.
The folks were more than kind in every way & expressed concern for my son's illness as well. Next time we./I go it will be for a much more fun reason!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SpecialKMadison
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Thank you for commenting about your stay on Trip Advisor. We look forward to having you and your family as our guests in the future. I hope your home was cleaned properly and that your son is feeling much better. When you are ready to return to the Madison Hotel please either email me or call me, I would like the opportunity to introduce myself.

862-345-5500
smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We booked a larger regional meeting for our company this month because of the great service and upscale decor of the hotel. The ballroom is excellent for any event and the staff is courteous and professional. Close to the NJT Convent Station, it is convenient for anyone coming in from New York City. And Rod's, the restaurant attached to the hotel, is first class all the way.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for your loyalty to The Madison Hotel, your business and comments are much appreciated. I am glad you continue to find courteous and professional staff providing great service because it shows that we are consistent in delivering our promise to our guests of providing the BEST service, cleanest hotel, and friendliest staff to everyone we come in contact with. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future whenever you visit NYC or northern New Jersey.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Madison many times over the past year, and will continue to make this my first choice for a hotel while in NJ. There are very concrete obvious reasons... the cleanliness of rooms, the wonderful breakfast with fresh blueberries year round, the perfectly heated pool, and of course the access to Rod's Steak and Grille and the Red Dog which can be accessed right from the hotel. Mitch's piano playing only adds to the relaxed atmosphere in the bar.
However, there is an intangible aspect to the Madison that differentiates it from the rest. I had the unfortunate experience to fall ill during one of my stays. Alone, and out of state, this could have been a true emergency. However, the great staff went out of their way to assist me in obtaining medication. They called to check on me several times offering any assistance. That is the something you don't have elsewhere.... they care about their guests, well beyond our comfort and making sure we have towels.
I will never forget their kindness during my healthy and not so healthy moments.

Room Tip: I have stayed here and really couldn't select one room over the other. I have had wonderful expe...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

I trust and hope you have recovered from your illness. That being said, I could not be any happier with your review. Thank you!!! A hotel is just a building unless you fill it with truly caring, service oriented employees who consider the work they do more then just a job. I have been blessed with a truly extraordinary staff that has responded well to my established expectations and standards and in the process they have really created a special place to stay. You have stayed with us multiple times so by now you know it is genuine, thanks for recognizing it and please continue to stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We loved the Madison Hotel near Madison, New Jersey. The staff were professional and very accommodating in all respects. The restaurants are top notch. Very well maintained and attractive. Easy access by train to all points in Northern NJ and NYC. We'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms are quiet and pleasant. Room service is expensive, but very good. The free brea...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. The team and I are thrilled that you find our hotel well maintained and attractive with top notch restaurants and very professional and accomodating employees. We take a tremendous amount of pride in maintaining our hotel and keeping it very clean as well as ensuring our staff is naturally very service oriented. Thank you for noticing it and for mentioning it. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel. We selected it because of the connecting restaurant & lounge. The rooms are clean & comfortable. Our room was near the pool & had a slight odor of smoke & chlorine, next time I would ask for a room in a different location. We had dinner at Rod's & drinks later in the lounge. They have entertainment every weekend in the lounge. They've added a second more casual restaurant & lounge which we will try next time. They had several events going on while we were there but it didn't interfere with our stay at all. After the events ended the lounge got pretty busy which lead to a lot of laughs. The hotel offers a great free continental breakfast in their very comfortable lobby. I even noticed several iPads in the lobby available for use. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for posting your comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear you would recommend our hotel and glad you found the rooms clean and comfortable and thought the complimentary cold buffet breakfast was great. I hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC and have a chance to try the Red Dog Tavern and use the Kindle Fire's available in the lobby for all to use.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed one night at the Madison Hotel. The lobby was very nice and facilities were well maintained. Room did not have a safe or refrigerator but was clean. The elevators were not working during my stay and inquired to employee who told me to take the stairs, very matter of the fact. I was on the 4th floor and luckily in decent shape so taking the stairs frequently was not a problem. View from room was of the roof of adjoining building. Room across from mine had employee's coming in and out frequently and the door was slamming constantly during the day. The desk was small for working but appreciated the free Wi-Fi. They did have a continental breakfast but it was overun by college kids, in the middle of the week?

Employees could use have more customer service skills but stay was decent. Room was clean and safe and price was good. I did use the treadmill in the gym area...glad to work out, besides taking the stairs!!

Room Tip: I would probably stay on the 3rd floor instead of the 4th so that you would not have the roof view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found the hotel nice, safe, well maintained with clean rooms and were able to take advantage of our complimentary wi-fi. Sorry you did not get a chance to enjoy our complimentary cold breakfast buffet. As you can see from other guests who have posted comments on Trip Advisor it is truly special with offerings much better then your standard complimentary continental breakfast offered at other hotels. I was working the day the elevators were not working and to clarify what happened, the surrounding area and part of the hotel (including the elevators) suffered a power outage due to an accident and when it happened we had hundred's of guests in our meeting rooms, dozens of guests in our two restaurants, and an unknown number of guests staying with us. The team quickly sprung into action and ensured that no one was stuck on the elevators, we handed out flashlights and other battery operated lighting fixtures to anyone in need and of course answered all the questions that come up when something like this happens at a busy property. I guess in the middle of all this one of the employees forgot their manners and for that I apologize. It is not acceptable and not normal as evidenced from the many postings on Trip Advisor praising our team. I hope you stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC, I am sure you will have a better experience.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!