“decent hotel but dated”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Overall the hotel was fine but was a bit dated. The room was decent, and the bed was comfortable. The location is also good - walking distance to the train station. The breakfast was disappointing. I got there at 10 when the breakfasted ended at 10:30, and 90% of the food was gone and was not replaced. It was not sufficient for the amount of guests. I also was unable to connect to the free wireless internet.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and commenting about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed the comfortable bed and found our location next to the train station convenient for your travel needs. I did have a question regarding the times you felt breakfast ended. Our breakfast runs seven days a week from 6:30AM to 10AM not 10:30AM as you stated. That is why when you arrived at approx. 10AM much of the food was gone since that is the time we begin breaking down the breakfast buffet. I am sorry about the mix up, we tell guests the breakfast hours at check in and have printed envelopes for our key cards with the breakfast schedule on them to remind our guests about the time because we don't want anyone missing the excellent and delicious offerings we have available. As you can see from previous comments made by Trip Advisor guests about our breakfast it is very good and well presented. I hope you return again and get a chance to enjoy our breakfast in our beautiful lobby setting.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

We found the Madison through Priceline. It is an awesome hotel. From the moment you walk in the wood carved fireplace and the furniture makes you think you are in one of the grand hotels of days gone by. The staff was friendly and helpful. A small bump giving us a king instead of two doubles was quickly solved with a great single roll in at no charge. We did not eat in the restaurant. but it looked awesome, a step back in time for sure.
At $50.00 Priceline with a continental breakfast it was a deal for sure. Location is off the main drag and going for a walk is ideal as well.
Pool was OK not a family event, but fine for a quick dip.
You won't be sorry you went.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel and found it awesome. It is always nice when our guests "get it" meaning the step back in time when hospitality meant treating everyone as if they were visiting you at your home. We want our guests to feel as if they are part of our family and get everything they wish for. Not that we are perfect (no family is) but if something happens we happily fix it to our guests satisfaction. Thanks for staying with us an please come back again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed at the Madison Hotel for my cousin's wedding which was in the banquet hall. The experience was perfect. Check-in was quick, check out even quicker. Rooms were furnished very nicely, beds very comfy. The housekeeping staff cleans very thoroughly (We were three grown men brothers staying in the same room. We are hairy.

The lobby is very impressive.

• Stayed: September 2011

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found your experience "perfect". In addition your comments about quick checkin, quicker check out, nicely furnished rooms and comfy beds put a smile on my face. I must admit though, I laughed out loud when you commented on the thoroughness of the housekeeping team having to clean up after three grown hairy brothers. Thanks for staying with us and for making me laugh. Please visit us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

I was a guest at the Madison Hotel for a family wedding during hurricane Irene. In advance of the hurricane, hotel management provided all guests with a flashlight, emergency procedures, and valuable advice/information. I watched as staff secured outdoor furnishings and exterior doors that might need extra protection against high winds & heavy rain. The hurricane came, the wedding ceremony and reception took place in a beautiful glass atrium, & power went out, as expected, for several hours. However, I encountered no major issues. The usual complementary breakfast was served in the morning and a lunch buffet was set up in the atrium, which has natural light. Due to impassable roads and suspended public transportation, many of the hotel guests had to extend their stay. The hotel provided a free night's stay as a courtesy because of inconveniences from the hurricane. The hotel also has 2 computers with internet service for use by guests. (Not all of us bring our laptops or have smart phones!) The internet service was critical to me in locating alternate options for returning home, because my originlal means of transportation was not available. Throughout a difficult period, the hotel staff was competent, professional, courteous, and caring. I felt safe and well taken care of. I hope that the family wedding I attended leads to a marriage, which will probably have its own hurricanes, that is as successul and enjoyable as my time as a guest at the Madison Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard provide a pleasant view and a secluded, European feel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Darlene M

Hurricane Irene posted a challenge to all of us in the infected areas and the management team and I devised a plan to obviously limit the danger to the property as well as our guests. I wanted to provide our guests with the tools and information they would need to ensure their comfort and safety. I was thrilled to hear that "you felt safe and well taken care of". In addition, we had some of our best staff members on that night and I am glad your recognized their professionalism, courteousness, competency and caring attitudes. Most importantly, we were able to deliver all that we promised in spite of the difficulties caused by the hurricane but since your stay was not without the expected power outage and in spite of all we did to prepare you for what would happen we thought it would be nice for you to enjoy a free night on us at a more relaxed time. Thanks for staying with us and posting a comment on Trip Advisor about your stay. Please visit us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

Wow! We booked the Madison at the last minute having cancelled our NYC hotel in an attempt to avoid the worst of Hurricaine Irene. We got a suite in this 4 star hotel for the same price as we would have paid for a 2 star on in Manhattan.

From the minute we arrived in the parking lot the service has been exceptional, even with an overnight power loss (torches provided for all) they managed to produce an extensive breakfast with hot drinks. Our meal in Rod's steakhouse was the best we have experienced in the US in two weeks. The same staff apear to have been on duty for the last 24 hours and have been incredible and very professional. The conservatory with Sunday brunch looks stunning, We are completely delighted and would not hesitate in recommending this hotel.

Once the rail is up and running again we hope to travel into the City from the station across the parking lot.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Marianvin
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

Thank you for your kind words, Hurricane Irene took a toll on all of us both mentally and physically especially those employees who worked around the clock to ensure everyone enjoyed their stay regardless of the weather. I am glad to see they accomplished their goal. Thank you for being understanding and for recognizing them. The flashlight and letter were our attempt to prepare you and make you aware that we knew what could happen, what was happening and that we were there to help you through the worst of the storm. Thank you for your business and please visit us when you visit NYC again, as you know now we are only a short train ride away and a much better bargain.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

We experienced excellent service, beautiful facilities at the Madison hotel and delicious food at the Red Dog Tavern. The room was clean and comfortable with a charming ambiance. The Continental breakfast was outstanding and served elegantly.
Thank you, Madison Hotel for a delightful stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Fay D

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and for staying with us. I am thrilled to hear you had a delightful stay, received excellent service and enjoyed our beautiful facilities. Most importantly, you said "we loved it and we will be back". I will hold you to that! Please visit us again whenever you visit northern New Jersey or NYC.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

The hotel was lovely and the restaurant's food was good. I was very happy with my room but the highlight of the visit was the staff. I had driven all night and spent the entire day on a college campus dropping my oldest off for her freshman year. I was exhausted by the time I checked in. The staff were so helpful, friendly, and supportive. I felt like a very welcomed guest at their home. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank JRigdon

You paid the Madison Hotel the ultimate compliment and summed up exactly what our mission is at this hotel when you said we treated you as if you were a welcomed guest at our homes. That is exactly what we attempt to do day in and day out. Thanks for recognizing it. I am happy you found the staff helpful, friendly and supportive and that they were the highlight of your stay. I hope your child does well in college and you return often to visit and stay with us when you do. Thank you for your feedback.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!