“Great Place - I will recommend to all friends!”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Comfortable beds, clean, well appointed rooms. We booked a junior suite which had several appreciated extras such as sitting area, dry sink, wonderful vanity soaps, robes slippers and even umbrellas which were great because there was record rain! Most family members had standard rooms - all report very comfortable and clean rooms. Beautiful grounds, attractive hotel, nice looby to sit and watch the world go by. Notable was that the hotel rooms were quieter then average - very, very important because many weddings and events occur here and you can still sleep in peace. The food at both restaraunts is oustanding- sunday brunch is worth every penny - yes, even at $30 a head. Even the complimentary continental breakfast was a nice suprise - while not a hughe selection, it is all freshly made and delicious. Proximity to NYC is good with direct rail transit in the parking lot. The only negative we had is that we wish more of the employees spoke some english - at least enough to direct us to someone who could assist with questions. That said - the front desk always had someone available to assist.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tuckermdmd
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Thank you very much, what great feedback! I am so happy to hear that you and your family where able to enjoy all that our hotel has to offer. Thank you for staying with us and for visiting Trip Advisor and posting comments about your stay. Please come and stay with us again whenever you visit northeran New Jersey or NYC.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were there for a family wedding and were pleasantly delighted with our overnight stay. The lobby is warm and welcoming, and we were greeted mid-afternoon with freshly baked lemon-blueberry mini-cupcakes, and coffee at the registration area. As the time for the wedding approached, the staff efficiently accommodated every last-minute request and adjustment necessary. Following the flawless ceremony, we were treated to a delicious cocktail hour, again with exceptional service, and lovely presentation. Dinner was very nice, with several meal selections offered, again with excelent service.

Our hotel room didn't have a great view, but the comfortable accommodations made up for that! The bed was one of the best we've experienced in a hotel. A Keurig coffee pot with a selection of hot beverages was a nice touch. When we reported that there was no remote in the room, one was delivered in a matter of minutes.

The pool and exercise room were spotlessly clean and very inviting.

The complimentary continental breakfast was nicely done with fresh-baked breads, bagels, and pastries; fresh fruit, cereals, and juices. Our only minor "complaint" was that the hot water for mixing oatmeal was lukewarm...but there were so many positives with our visit that it was quickly forgiven!

The close proximity to the train to NYC is a great feature and some of the guests remarked that they would stay at The Madison in the future to take advantage of the convenience of the train.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CTSansan
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Thank you, your feedback about your stay was a pleasure to read. I am so happy to hear your enjoyed your stay and hope you return again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC. Thank you for staying with us and for visiting Trip Advisor and commenting on your stay. Soon we will light the fireplace up in the lobby and change the cupcakes from lemon-blueberry to red velvet and the lemonade-iced tea to apple cider (to coincide with the coming of fall). I hope you can make it back to try those.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

We attended a wedding reception in the Solarium the evening of Aug. 6th. It was horrendous. Air conditioning so high guests were freezing , service was non existent;, at a table of 10 we were only able to order drinks 2 people at a time; and that was after we had to ask the waitress who was standing around if anybody was going to serve drinks, she then stated she was on her way over. When it was time for coffee later she brought 1 cup at a time; one table got no coffee. the cake and coffee were served far apart also. Our waiter was asked not to try and squeeze around the end of the table but did so anyway making a woman with a bad back very uncomfortable, Her husband told him not to do it again. On the nextr trip he didn't do it but deliberately dropped a heavy dinner dish on her hands. She stood up and told him in no uncertain terms that she was going to cause him problems if it happened again. This was the fifth wedding my wife and I had attended in 5 months and it was so bad we wanted to leave an hour after it started, but couldn't insult the brides family . My wife and sister ordered chicken and didn't eat it because they said it was cold and undercooked. If you were lucky your food was warm, otherwise it was cold. Every word is true, I exaggerate nothing.

Room Tip: my review is for the reception only-the hotel, rooms, lobby and area were very good.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank goooch
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to visit Trip Advisor. I was very happy to hear that you found "the hotel, rooms, lobby and area very good". Unfortunately, your experience at the wedding reception did not meet your expectations. I would love to have more detail about the wedding so please call me at 862-345-5500 when you can. The restaurant and catering operations are run by a different management company but if I am given info to present to them I will ensure that someone responsible from that operation calls you back to address your concerns. I know they would have preferred to handle the situation while you were on property instead of having you leave disappointed and angry, that approach may also have gotten your situation resolved promptly early in the celebration. Again thank you for your kind words about the hotel specifically saying "the hotel, rooms, lobby and area very good", thank you for your business, please come again and please call me.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

The management, and staff at the Madison Hotel are just phenominal. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the food in Rod's is amazing. My husband and I have been there many times and will continue to go there. Also, the new Red Dog Cafe is a great place to stop in for a drink or snacks and dinner too!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Doreen S

Thank you for your kind words about the Madison Hotel, I am happy to hear you find the management and staff phenominal, the rooms clean and comfortable and the food in Rod's amazing. Please continue to stay with us whenever you are in the area and thank you for your continued loyalty to The Madison Hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

My wife and I were in New Jersey dropping off our daughter for a weekend reunion. We stayed at the Madison, and enjoyed every minute. The Hotel was clean and comfortable, and the price was very reasonable. The restaurant was a bit pricey, but the decor was fabulous, the service excellent, and the food outstanding. There was a cheaper menu in the bar area, but we did not utilize that. The hotel rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable. the surrounding area was great for walking and visiting college campuses (3) by car and foot.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and commenting about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you return whenever you visit northern New Jersey or NYC. We in fact do have two outstanding restaurants one that is a fine dining steak and seafood restaurant and the other a newly opened casual pub. We thought we would provide an option to those guests that might enjoy a more casual environment. Thank you again for your business and comments.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Train to New York is literally across the parking lot - 500 feet - Leave your car at the Hotel Madison - put your feet up & ride into the City. The lovely village of Madison, NJ is 5 minutes away by car - loads of local restaraunts & a perfect main street for shopping or dining. If you don't like that direction go the other way about 10 minutes & you are in Morristown, NJ - a largish city center set up around a quaint square & park - loads more restaraunts.

We had 2 King Rooms - Very nice. The Lobby & public rooms are all country club wood panelled & beautiful. I slept great - I'm sure there is a train whistle somewhere but seriously you've got to be trying to let it get to you - It's not that close - I never heard a thing.

The only negative is that it's quite busy & somewhat wedding central on weekends but they handle it well & it's kind of nice to see everyone all dressed up & happy.
If you look on-line you can find some very good deals for the Hotel Madison in all the usual places. It's not a Marriot - It's nicer.

Ben D. from Austin Tx

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words and for staying with us. We take pride in our classic service and architecture as well as our location centrally located between downtown Madison and Morristown as well as near the train making it easy to visit either one of those cities or NYC without ever using your car (saves you gas money). I am glad you enjoyed your stay, found our hotel nicer than the Marriott and hope you return and stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern New Jersey.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I ended up paying about $140 per night on a 2 night stay here - lots of hotel taxes attached to this area. There's a small pool that's 7 or 8 feet deep at the deepest part, but pleasant and looked clean. There's also a workout room which I didn't use. My room was a "king" and had a king sized bed with both down and synthetic pillows. I had a small desk, tv, and lounge chair.

On the whole the vibe is what I imagine new newest generation of Mad Men (seen the show yet?) wives would expect on vacation. In July the hotel had a huge stack of firewood by the fireplace in the lobby, which was so out of place for the season I found strange. There were mini-cupcakes for after dinner snacks, and I hear that the attached restaurant really is quite nice. It felt safe and the air quality was good. The bed was fairly comfortable with no lumps and the sheets felt of good quality. There must have been turn down service, which I missed because I was at meetings, but I felt like the room was well taken care of.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to visit Trip Advisor to comment about your stay. I must admit I did enjoy your comment about taxes and I wanted to make sure you understand that we have nothing to do with the tax rates in NJ. You know what they say about taxes, right? Thank you for pointing out the various amenities or hotel has to offer and yes we do have turndown service and both of our restaurants (Rod's and GK's Red Dog Tavern) are truly outstanding. I hope you stay with us again and have the opportunity to try both of them.

[--]

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!