“The wedding reception from Hell”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We attended a wedding reception in the Solarium the evening of Aug. 6th. It was horrendous. Air conditioning so high guests were freezing , service was non existent;, at a table of 10 we were only able to order drinks 2 people at a time; and that was after we had to ask the waitress who was standing around if anybody was going to serve drinks, she then stated she was on her way over. When it was time for coffee later she brought 1 cup at a time; one table got no coffee. the cake and coffee were served far apart also. Our waiter was asked not to try and squeeze around the end of the table but did so anyway making a woman with a bad back very uncomfortable, Her husband told him not to do it again. On the nextr trip he didn't do it but deliberately dropped a heavy dinner dish on her hands. She stood up and told him in no uncertain terms that she was going to cause him problems if it happened again. This was the fifth wedding my wife and I had attended in 5 months and it was so bad we wanted to leave an hour after it started, but couldn't insult the brides family . My wife and sister ordered chicken and didn't eat it because they said it was cold and undercooked. If you were lucky your food was warm, otherwise it was cold. Every word is true, I exaggerate nothing.

Room Tip: my review is for the reception only-the hotel, rooms, lobby and area were very good.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank goooch
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to visit Trip Advisor. I was very happy to hear that you found "the hotel, rooms, lobby and area very good". Unfortunately, your experience at the wedding reception did not meet your expectations. I would love to have more detail about the wedding so please call me at 862-345-5500 when you can. The restaurant and catering operations are run by a different management company but if I am given info to present to them I will ensure that someone responsible from that operation calls you back to address your concerns. I know they would have preferred to handle the situation while you were on property instead of having you leave disappointed and angry, that approach may also have gotten your situation resolved promptly early in the celebration. Again thank you for your kind words about the hotel specifically saying "the hotel, rooms, lobby and area very good", thank you for your business, please come again and please call me.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

The management, and staff at the Madison Hotel are just phenominal. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the food in Rod's is amazing. My husband and I have been there many times and will continue to go there. Also, the new Red Dog Cafe is a great place to stop in for a drink or snacks and dinner too!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Doreen S

Thank you for your kind words about the Madison Hotel, I am happy to hear you find the management and staff phenominal, the rooms clean and comfortable and the food in Rod's amazing. Please continue to stay with us whenever you are in the area and thank you for your continued loyalty to The Madison Hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

My wife and I were in New Jersey dropping off our daughter for a weekend reunion. We stayed at the Madison, and enjoyed every minute. The Hotel was clean and comfortable, and the price was very reasonable. The restaurant was a bit pricey, but the decor was fabulous, the service excellent, and the food outstanding. There was a cheaper menu in the bar area, but we did not utilize that. The hotel rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable. the surrounding area was great for walking and visiting college campuses (3) by car and foot.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and commenting about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you return whenever you visit northern New Jersey or NYC. We in fact do have two outstanding restaurants one that is a fine dining steak and seafood restaurant and the other a newly opened casual pub. We thought we would provide an option to those guests that might enjoy a more casual environment. Thank you again for your business and comments.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Train to New York is literally across the parking lot - 500 feet - Leave your car at the Hotel Madison - put your feet up & ride into the City. The lovely village of Madison, NJ is 5 minutes away by car - loads of local restaraunts & a perfect main street for shopping or dining. If you don't like that direction go the other way about 10 minutes & you are in Morristown, NJ - a largish city center set up around a quaint square & park - loads more restaraunts.

We had 2 King Rooms - Very nice. The Lobby & public rooms are all country club wood panelled & beautiful. I slept great - I'm sure there is a train whistle somewhere but seriously you've got to be trying to let it get to you - It's not that close - I never heard a thing.

The only negative is that it's quite busy & somewhat wedding central on weekends but they handle it well & it's kind of nice to see everyone all dressed up & happy.
If you look on-line you can find some very good deals for the Hotel Madison in all the usual places. It's not a Marriot - It's nicer.

Ben D. from Austin Tx

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words and for staying with us. We take pride in our classic service and architecture as well as our location centrally located between downtown Madison and Morristown as well as near the train making it easy to visit either one of those cities or NYC without ever using your car (saves you gas money). I am glad you enjoyed your stay, found our hotel nicer than the Marriott and hope you return and stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern New Jersey.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I ended up paying about $140 per night on a 2 night stay here - lots of hotel taxes attached to this area. There's a small pool that's 7 or 8 feet deep at the deepest part, but pleasant and looked clean. There's also a workout room which I didn't use. My room was a "king" and had a king sized bed with both down and synthetic pillows. I had a small desk, tv, and lounge chair.

On the whole the vibe is what I imagine new newest generation of Mad Men (seen the show yet?) wives would expect on vacation. In July the hotel had a huge stack of firewood by the fireplace in the lobby, which was so out of place for the season I found strange. There were mini-cupcakes for after dinner snacks, and I hear that the attached restaurant really is quite nice. It felt safe and the air quality was good. The bed was fairly comfortable with no lumps and the sheets felt of good quality. There must have been turn down service, which I missed because I was at meetings, but I felt like the room was well taken care of.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to visit Trip Advisor to comment about your stay. I must admit I did enjoy your comment about taxes and I wanted to make sure you understand that we have nothing to do with the tax rates in NJ. You know what they say about taxes, right? Thank you for pointing out the various amenities or hotel has to offer and yes we do have turndown service and both of our restaurants (Rod's and GK's Red Dog Tavern) are truly outstanding. I hope you stay with us again and have the opportunity to try both of them.

[--]

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed at the Madison Hotel overnight for a quick getaway. Upon entering the hotel, you can see that the lobby is decorated in rich cherrywood furniture. The decor is reminiscent of a time long ago. It fits in with the town's historical feel. The check-in process was quick and smooth. We walked to the elevator and were surprised as the doors opened. The walls of the elevator were covered with the heavy moving clothes. First, we thought it was a freight elevator, but we concluded that it was the guest elevator. Upon arriving to our floor, we observed the hallway was quiet and neatly decorated. Our hotel room was neat and looked just like the pictures on the hotel's website. The beds were comfy, the room included cable and free internet. Now, let me say that bathrooms are my pet peeves. I just like a clean bathroom. My only concern about the room was its bathroom. The caulking around the bathroom was disgusting. About 1/3 of the caulking was mixed black patches of mold/mildew. When I closed the bathroom door, I noticed a small patch of hair on it. I am sure this is from guests blow-drying their hair with the bathroom door shut. The force of the dryer blows your hair to what is behind it. In the case the door. It happens to me all the time at home, so I'm always cleaning the door. The only other disappointment was the "deluxe continental breakfast" that is advertised on the hotel's website. I've been to a lot of free continental breakfasts at hotels (Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express). Now days, they include cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, belgian waffle maker, suasage, eggs, pateries, juices, etc. The Madison's breakfast is the tradional continental breakfast: yogurt, pasteries, cereal, fruit salad (delicious by the way), juice, coffee, and tea. While I wouldn't call it deluxe, it was tasty. Seating for breakfast is very limited (about 4 tables in the lobby). They do have sofas and arm chairs, but you can't really sit and enjoy w/ your family. Therefore, if you are bringing children be prepared to eat in your room.

The Madison Hotel is suited to people on business and/or love the old town feel. It is close to 2 major malls, the movies, and historical sites.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and visiting Trip Advisor to comment on your stay. We appreciatte your business and hope you stay with us again. I am glad you enjoyed the decor of the hotel and understood that the classical boutique design is meant to fit into the surrounding area. Upon check in you did in fact enter the frieght elevator which is nicely appointed but much larger then our other two guest elevators located right next to it. Our breakfast is called deluxe largely due to the fact that everything is made fresh daily, our pastries, muffins, tarts, etc. are baked in our own bakery, the bagels are made fresh, the fruit salad is made in our own kitchen, we buy the finest yogurt, granola bars, whole fruit, etc. and present it in a way (silverware, glassware, etc.) and environment (beautiful decor, fireplace, soft music, etc.) that makes you feel as if you are in a fine home, not a hotel. To add to that experience you step into our beautiful garden courtyard to tables, chairs, umbrellas, flowers, shrubs and trees and listen to the leaves rustle and birds chriping will you eat your breakfast. Many of the hotels you mentioned get everything frozen or pre-packaged and use artificial ingredients and do not have the seating options we have but we do not accept that type of quality or experience and prefer to offer only high quality fresh products. The caulking around the tub is being replaced in all the rooms as part of a normal yearly maintenance project. Please feel free to call me with any questions or concerns.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel with interesting antiques in the lobby and meeting areas, as well as a gorgeous greenhouse-room full of flowers. I can't imagine a more lovely spot for a wedding. We are always very comfortable here. I've never experienced a problem with noises (from some reviews below) and always sleep soundly in their comfortable beds. Very convenient to the train station for NJ Transit -- a one-block walk. Very nice continental breakfast with fruit, yogurt, and non-standard pastries. This is likely our favorite hotel in the U.S., especially when you compare price and value.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2011

Thank you, I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel ("favorite hotel in the U.S.") and took the time to comment about your stay on Trip Advisor. Thank you for staying with us and please come again whenever you visit our area.

862-345-5500

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 4 in West Orange

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!