“Recently renovated; very comfortable; solid value”

Hyatt Regency Morristown
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed December 21, 2009

My wife and I drove up from DC to spend our anniversary weekend in Manhattan. It was early December and we weren't in the mood to drop $500 per night on a normal hotel room in the city (or $300 on a closet-sized room), which is the going rate for an Xmas season weekend. Instead, I recalled the old Headquarters Plaza hotel in Morristown from my days working in northern NJ in the early 90s.

It turns out that this hotel became a Hyatt at some point and is in the end stages of being renovated. I read the horror stories online of people who had the misfortune to get an unrenovated room. My wife and I made sure to get a new room when we checked in. We spent all day in Manhattan and after dinner around 9 p.m. drove the 35 minutes to M'town. From the garage in TriBeCa to lying on our bed in the hotel after checking in and parking the car took exactly 50 minutes.

The room was extremely comfortable and fashionably appointed. Large, flat-screen TV. Very comfy beds. Lighting adjustable on dimmers. We were on the 7th floor looking east and it had been snowing all afternoon and evening. What a romantic evening. We had a memorable stay.

We checked out early in the morning, had a wonderful, leisurely breakfast at Panera in Short Hills off NJ-24 and were back in the city at the door of the Guggenheim when it opened at 10 a.m.

Best of all we snagged the room on Priceline for ~ 70% off the quoted rate. I'm almost embarrassed to say how little we paid. It's obviously a business hotel and at this time of year is nearly empty on weekends. The only downside of that is that the desk clerk was a bit rude to us when we checked in when he saw what we paid (perhaps he has been told to be brusque with bargain shoppers like us.) Big deal. We had a fantastic anniversary dinner in Greenwich Village using what we saved.

We booked the hotel solely for the room and didn't take a look at any of the hotel facilities. The bar off the lobby looked inviting and trendy. We liked the lobby design and front desk. Parking underneath the hotel is safe and convenient.

We were very happy with the entire experience (sans check-in clerk.) We had a splendid little romantic nest, a quiet Saturday evening and Sunday morning around the square in Morristown and very easy access to and from Manhattan. We'll stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
MorristownHyatt, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2009

Thank you for your review. We agree on the tremedous value the hotel represents in comparison to New York. Our guest room renovation will be complete by January 8, 2010. We look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2009

I was stayed at this hotel when I was in town for a wedding. The front desk staff is SO unorganized. They tried to put me in someone else's room twice! On the third try, the room was finally vacant. I also waited quite awhile just to check in. The parking garage elevator doesn't work. But, I will say the rooms were still nice and comfortable and most importantly very clean.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
MorristownHyatt, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2009

We are very sorry that you encountered such poor service during your visit to the hotel. There is no excuse for our failure to place you in the room you preferred upon your initial check in. I assure you that we will continue to improve our front office procedures as a result of your comments. We are committed to exceeding all of our customers expectations in service throughout the hotel. Unfortunately, one of the elevators that accesses the parking garage was out of service for a short period of time during your visit. Our parking garage level is accessible by 8 total elevator banks throughout the headquarters plaza. Additionally, during this outage we placed a house phone with signage for use by any guest in need of assistance that allowed for them to reach hotel staff directly. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our new guest room. Our extensive guest room and corridor renovation will be completed by January 8, 2010.

Reviewed December 4, 2009

It's nice place to stay for few days....staff was very pleasent and helpfull. If I going toward this direction, do not mind to stop over and stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I stayed at the Hyatt Morristown on business for a week in November 2009. One morning, I ordered room service for breakfast. They told me it would arrive in 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, they called to apologize and said it would be another 20 minutues. Their kitchen apparently got slammed with orders all at the same time. This was not a problem for me at all. When I returned to my room that night from a dinner, I found a plate with chocolate truffles, two bottles of water, and a hand-written note from the restaurant manager (Anthony Buttafuoco) apologizing for the delay in my breakfast that morning. Totally unnecessary, but was a very nice touch. By the way, I stayed in one of their newly renovated rooms...very nice. I heard someone in the elevator say the old rooms were terrible, but the new ones were a huge improvement, so make sure you ask what kind of room you're getting. Overall, great hotel and location for a business meeting. Morristown is very quaint. You can walk to a nice variety of restaurants if you want to escape from your business meetings.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank countryhopping
Reviewed October 15, 2009

My family and I came to Morristown for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the downtown and all it has to offer. We were pleasantly surprised with how modern and trendy the hotel is! From the moment we checked in, the staff was warm and welcoming. Our guest rooms were newly renovated with plenty of space for my two young children. This hotel certainly lives up to the Hyatt name with its modern and welcoming style. We will definitely stay here again and recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Ohiobusymom
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I have looked at most of the hotels in Morristown area. By far Hyatt Morristown is the best. The Presentation, the service, and the rooms are great. Newly renovated hotel makes this a hot spot for me. Rooms have a large desk in the room and have large walking space in the room. I love my space. Restaurant has great food and service.( I ate their multiple times, which I rarely do.) The bar is also a great place to go to watch your favorite team play. They have more than four TV's in the bar, so while I was watching my football game others where watching Major League baseball. Front Desk attitudes were very friendly and welcoming. They made me feel like a king. I will definitely be a return guest any time I am in Morristown.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mike_68046
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Hotel is under renovation, however should have been 5 years ago. If you are in an old room they are horrible. Torn wallpaper, missing tile, and VERY outdated. This is a Hyatt and looks like a motel 6. If you want to sleep past 7:30 forget it. This is when jackhammering begins in they rooms they are beginning to update. Hyatt needs to check their hotels better before they give them the Hyatt title.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob K
MorristownHyatt, Hotel Manager at Hyatt Regency Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2009

We are very sorry your stay was disturbed by noise. We have a very strict policy with our renovation project that no construction that may generate noise is allowed prior to 10:00AM or after 5PM. We are more than 50% complete with our $7 million room renovation and as of November 1, 2009 we will no longer have any unrenovated rooms for sale. We continue to maintain all of our rooms to the Hyatt standard and the room issues you described are not acceptable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
HYATT house Parsippany-East
HYATT house Parsippany-East
#3 of 16 in Parsippany

Been to Hyatt Regency Morristown? Share your experiences!