“Fantastic.”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Diagonal from the Morristown Green---Dehart Street
Description: Pamir is the name of a mountainous area in Central Asia mainly in Afghanistan once along the route of Marco Polo’s Silk Road and also inhabited by descendants of Alexander the Great’s troops. The region’s cuisine was fortunate to inherit many exotic spices and flavors of Central Asia and its surrounding countries with influence from the Far East, Middle East, Mediterranean and Russia. Pamir Restaurant was originally opened in NYC in 1979 and has maintained the same family ownership and great recipes. Enjoy a taste of our history!
Livingston, New Jersey
“Fantastic.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had heard good things about Pamir, and was looking for an inexpensive place for dinner out with friends that might stand up to a good bottle of wine (place is BYO). If you go, bring a good bottle, the food is special and nicely presented. The restaurant is furnished and lit elegantly like a more expensive place, and the service, while not perfect (the food came a tad fast), is friendly and very helpful. The food is basically like Greek with a bit of spice thrown into the cooking. The pumpkin turnovers are fantastic, as is the beet salad. Looking forward to going back. They apparently have a belly dancer on Fridays, so that's an obvious time to try.

• Visited April 2013

Millburn, New Jersey
“Pamir, potential as a good restaurant”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Visited shortly after the restaurant opened at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon. Place was empty. We shared one hot appetizer ($8): Afghan turnovers (two pumpkin (Kadu) and two potato (Kachaloo)...small order, but tasty). To our surprise we then got two small, unannounced salads (not bad). She ordered the Eggplant Kabuli Palawv($17) with seasoned brown rice, topped with julienne sliced carrot strips, raisins, sprinkled with slivers of almonds & pistachios (too much rice, not enough eggplant...tasted ok). I got the waiter's favorite dish, Creamy Chicken-Lawangi Murgh ($18), also with season brown rice ($3.50 addit. upcharge...chicken overcooked, very dry). For dessert, we shared the Baghlawa ($9)...just ok. Overall, just ok...too much rice...not enough main dish components. BYOB.

• Visited March 2013
Mendham, NJ
“Very consistent Afghani fare”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We have been coming to this restaurant since it opened on Washington Street, and have followed it to the new location in the center of Morristown. The dishes have remained consistently good, delicately fragrant. We liked the old place better, though. It was intimate and homey. The new place is upscale and a little noisy. The decor, while tasteful, is a bit cold. The service has also suffered. We miss the head waiter from the old place, and we miss the former owner, who was always a welcoming and friendly presence. The restaurant has stayed in the family, but it is more commercial now.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Elise D
Madison, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Price gouging”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have always enjoyed the food here although service is usually pretty slow. This Valentine's day my fiancé and I went there as he knew how much I liked the food. The menu was fixed with very little selection. At the bottom of the menu it said $45. Based on the scanty menu and the fact I knew the prices they normally charge from previous visits, we assumed it was $45 for two. We were dead wrong. That was the most overpriced meal I have ever had! When I complained to the manager I was told it was a holiday and prices are higher during holidays. She then tried to tell me it was a 4 course meal because of the little salad they gave us which is always free with the entree. The manager was so unpleasant I am not sure I will go back.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Enid S
New Jersey
“Pamir is a Treasure”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is the only Afghan restaurant in northern New Jersey and I am glad it is in my town. The food is very high quality, many dishes offering a choice of lamb, chicken or beef. The bulk of what you will receive is very high quality rice corresponding to the dish ordered. Appetizers are tasty and reasonably priced. A dinner at Pamir is now in the low to mid $20 to $30 range. A lunch buffet is offered at $12.99 and it is the biggest bargain in town. There is a wide range of Pamir's dishes presented.

• Visited January 2013