“Excellent Food”

Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Diagonal from the Morristown Green---Dehart Street
Description: Pamir is the name of a mountainous area in Central Asia mainly in Afghanistan once along the route of Marco Polo’s Silk Road and also inhabited by descendants of Alexander the Great’s troops. The region’s cuisine was fortunate to inherit many exotic spices and flavors of Central Asia and its surrounding countries with influence from the Far East, Middle East, Mediterranean and Russia. Pamir Restaurant was originally opened in NYC in 1979 and has maintained the same family ownership and great recipes. Enjoy a taste of our history!
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Despite really terrible service, the food was so outstanding that we almost forgave them for it. They brought our food but no plates to put them on. The waitress got distracted several times & my husband finally headed for the kitchen to get the plates himself. The food was no longer hot. The staff is very nice but either undertrained or they just don't care. The place was barely 1/2 full on a weeknight so no excuses.

We hadn't been there for about 7 years because we moved away from New Jersey & they have moved to a new location since our last visit. But luckily the food was still perfect. If the service was better I would give it 5 stars. Afghan food is my favorite compared with any other ethnic food. Subtle but very flavorful.

• Visited September 2012

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“This food is the real deal”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I lived in Turkey for two years when I was young and really miss the food (Turkish is very similar though not identical to Afghan cuisine). Kofta Kabob is what I miss the most and Pamir's is delicious! I am also a huge fan of the Hot Appetizer combination. So good. The staff is very friendly and helpful (including the owner if you can catch him there). The atmosphere is really terrific. I always make it a point to stop by when I am in the area.

• Visited September 2012
New Jersey
“Go to Marjan instead”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We just got back from Pamir and to be honest, we were disappointed. We got there as a party of four, and it took forever to get a bottle of wine opened. When we got our menus, we didn't get any reccommendations although when we asked, we did get some. We all opted for the price fix of 19.95- a good deal, but in retrospect, we wished we were at Marjan's instead. The appetizers were okay- we had to get the busboy to get the waiter to explain the sauces that accompanied the appetizers. From there, it took forever to get our entress. My friend and I had the lamb and chicken stew with spinach- the rice was dry and the stew really wasn't seasoned much. My husband had the lamb kebobs- three small pieces of lamb. Need I say more? The other guest had the dish raved by the NY Times- nothing to rave about. When I asked for water refills, none were given until I got up to ask the hostess to send the waiter. Mind you, it is a Wednesday night. All in all, they get the buisness because they are in the center of town. Regardless, as Morristown residents, we can tell you that Marjan's is better. Don't believe me- check out my other reviews.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank oojaded26
Mendham, New Jersey
“Great ethnic food in Morristown”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

I was very pleased with our experience at Pamir. The establishment moved to downtown Morristown a couple of years ago. The atmosphere is nice, just off the green in downtown Morristown. The food is unique, somewhat of a combination between Indian (curry, cardamom) and middle-eastern.

We started with the hot appetizer combination which was a mix of Samosa-type appetizers and a scallion ravioli. We tried the fried green bean cakes which were great.

The Afghan soup was unique, tomato based with pasta, chicken and spinach. Thick, rich and very tasty.

I tried the Kebob combo which was great. The meat was uniquely spiced. Beef was a touch overcooked but still good. The special rice is worth paying the extra for- comes with raisins, pistachio, almonds and was great. My wife tried the saffron rice which was average. Overall worth trying, we will definitely be back

1 Thank DrMikeinNJ
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A Most Enjoyable Evening”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Unlike some of the other reviewers, I cannot claim experience with Afghan cuisine. But, I do know good food and service. Pamir delivers in both of these areas. The food was different and more nuanced than northern Indian or Middle Eastern, although one can see connections with both. Portion size was ample if not overwhelming. I saw many people enjoying a bottle of wine (which they brought along since the restaurant is BYOB), but the house mint tea would have been a better choice in terms of pairing with the food. Throughout that part of the world, as I have read, mint tea is the drink offered in hospitality, and it is a refreshing counterpoint to the cuisine. As for the food itself, you can't go wrong with any of the rice dishes. The kabobs were a bit dry as most kabobs seem to be these days. Go enjoy and take a break from the usual.

• Visited August 2012