“Group dining at Washington St. Bistro”

Washington St. Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Washington St. Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 159 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A cozy BYOB Bistro with Inspired Colonial Fare nestled in Morristown, NJ.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Group dining at Washington St. Bistro”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We had a large group of friends [9] get together at the Washington St. Bistro this past weekend. Charming location!! We have this group meet up once/year in Morristown and always try someplace different.
For a BYOB I was suitably impressed with their selection of glassware, service ware and complete capability of servicing the table with the wide variety of items we brought it [many different wines and beers].
The menu was very comfort-food-centric with some interesting unusual items thrown in. Our server, Kelly, was fabulous and put up with the lot of us very well. We took a long time ordering and stayed well over the two hours a group of 9 usually should. I don't know if that was due to kitchen delays or simply us chatting so long it took forever to clear courses. Either way no one cared - we were mostly concerned with the company.
The food was tasty. I was not overly impressed with the presentation but some items were fabulous - the stuffed Artichoke appetizer was by far the biggest winner. The Pear/Parsnip soup was also a WOW ! The sides were also better than expected [Brussels Sprouts and the Cauliflower both got rave reviews] but small portions - ok to share for 2 people, but maybe not 3+ [order more of each if so].
My Cassoulet was tasty but not a wow. My husband had the seared duck breast and while it was tender, appeared over cooked.
I was impressed that not only did another server stop over to say hello, who remembered one person from our party from having dined there before but the chef [owner?] stopped over to inquire with everyone how it all was. THAT made my night! He obviously cares and will take suggestions to heart.
So - for the spring menu - my suggestion is a few more 'interesting' menu items. Great combinations and flavor pairings -- keep it up!

1 Thank Lady2300

Morristown
“single diner friendly”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stopped in to one of my fav restaurants last week for simply soup and a dessert. Nice to know that a lone diner is treated as well as when part of a crowd. As usual, enjoyed the food.

Hopatcong, New Jersey
“Small Space, Big Food”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

For a small restaurant they certainly can produce some excellent food. The mussels were some of the best I've ever eaten. Kale salad and the side of cauliflower were fantastic. I will definitely return sooner than later. Make sure to call for reservations.

2 Thank LakeladyB
Mystic, Connecticut
“The best bistro ”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

This establishment is wonderful. Staff very friendly and accommodating. The chef even came to ask us about the food. Our attentive waiter was named Paul. Be sure to book early as the restaurant is small.

1 Thank Pete C
Florham Park, New Jersey
“A new favorite! ”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I don't normally give 5 stars on a first visit, but I think this bistro deserves it. The menu is so interesting and creative that I actually asked our waiter if the chef can pull it off. I wish we had a larger party so I could have tried more dishes. The three of us shared the scallops appetizer and the kale and Brussels sprouts salad. My wife ordered the pork chop, which was good but not great. (She ordered it because the waiter said it was one of their better entrees, but she knows no one makes a better pork chop than me.) Our son had the duck breast and raved about it (he was right). I had the bistro cassoulet and it was spectacular. No single ingredient overpowered the others, which was my concern with the sausage. We regret being too full to try dessert; maybe next time. The bistro is BYOB, which helps with the cost - not that this expensive, especially considering the nearby steakhouses.

One thing I don't understand is why there are so few reviews. There were only 3 previous reviews when we went, but they were all great so we wanted to try it anyway. Very glad we did.

3 Thank GPBucket