“Another wonderful evening at Rod's”

Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 161 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Madison Avenue
Transit: New Jersey Transit Trains and Bus at our doorstep. Convent Station New Jersey
Description: Welcome to New Jersey's Legendary Steak House Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille, an area landmark and winner of New Jersey Monthly's 'Best Steakhouse' award, offers lunch and dinner daily as well as the finest Sunday Brunch in New Jersey. The restaurant's new design, rich wood paneling and highly polished brass, lends a classic elegance to the sophisticated atmosphere. For an intimate and unique experience, dinner aboard the private Parlour Cars is sure to be remembered. Formerly the private domain of the rich and famous, these beautifully refurbished, turn of the century railway cars are exquisitely complimented by the haute cuisine of Rod's esteemed Executive Chef.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Rod's; went with friends (their 1st visit). We sat at a round booth in the corner of the balcony and the ambiance could not be any better. The live soloist downstairs at the bar was far enough away that it did not overpower our conversation and we could enjoy it in the background. As in our previous visit, the oysters were very fresh and clean. There's a very good selection of wines. Although I was looking forward to the prime rib, one of the specials was duck. I love duck and don't find it that often - so I ordered it. About 5 minutes later, the general manager (not the waiter) came to our table to politely explain that they had run out of duck. Not heart-broken, I easily switched to the prime rib. Just minutes later, the head chef came to me to explain that they indeed did have duck and he will prepare it for me. All the food was perfectly prepared and delicious. The service was outstanding and well-timed to OUR pace (we were at Rod's for over 3 hours). Toward the end of the evening, a live band (good talent; nice selections) played at the bar, which only made the evening better still. Our friends fell in love with Rod's.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I've been to Rod's a few times over the past few years and my first two visits were exceptional. Unfortunately, something has changed and my last three or four visits have left something to be desired. Rod's is a classic steakhouse with the heavy wood paneling and dark colors and also has an interesting train car area you can eat at. Our first two visits left us very satisfied and looking forward to coming back. Our next visit we felt very rushed and couldn't really enjoy our meals, which is unfortunate because this is a pretty expensive restaurant. The next visit was on New Years Eve and was a fixed menu and the restaurant was only having certain seatings, which we were fine with and fully expected for a night like that. The meals were served cold, I had undercooked pasta, and everything was just underwhelming, except for the price, which was very high.

We chalked it up to being a fixed menu day and decided to give Rod's one last try. Unfortunately, this was an even worse experience. We arrived a few minutes early for our reservation and was told that we would have about a 10 minute wait so we went to the bar, right behind the hostess station, and had a drink. About 20 minutes passed and I went to the hostess to ask for our status. She told us that our table was given away because we did not come to her when called. We were about 10 feet away from her and were not called at all so so got into a huff and said it'll be another 15 minutes and she'll "find" a table for us. There was no apology and that put a very bad taste in my mouth. About 20 minutes after that we were finally seated and menus were essentially thrown in front of us and the hostess stomped off. Our waiter was very friendly and came to see us right away to explain the menu and tell us about specials. My s.o. wanted the prime rib but apparently it was already sold out, at 7:30 on a Saturday night. At a steakhouse, this is unacceptable. He settled for a different type of steak but was disappointed, he had been looking forward to the prime rib. His steak was fine and my meal was fine as well but there was nothing special and for the price you pay, you expect something special. I could have had the same meal at Longhorn and paid less than half of what we did that night. We will not be returning to Rod's anytime soon.

1  Thank lecc0221
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Between my hubby and I, we have had occasion to be at Rod's three times this week. Twice we were each there as part of an event on set menus. Food was very good especially given the number being served.

Today I went for lunch to the Red Dog Saloon portion of the restaurant for the first time. Entrees had amongst us were crab cakes (huge) and cranberry salad with the added Portobello mushrooms. Also two of us had soup (one the special - pumpkin) and I guess mine wasn't really soup but the shrimp gumbo (quite a bit of shrimp). I would say a good 95% of the time over the years, I've been here, across the board: service, quality and food were good. At lunch today there was a good crowd. I prefer the main restaurant but for purposes of today, the saloon was perfectly fine.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Been around for ever. Keeps reinventing itself but not losing classic feel. Terrific for business meetings with good table spacing. Food is very good as is service. Can't go wrong.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We ate in the restaurant, as opposed to the tavern, and it was great for quiet conversation. Decor is very clubby/masculine. Service was attentive and professional. The crab bisque was excellent and one of the guests had a steak that was done perfectly. He also had a glass of wine that at nearly $18 was a bit pricey. Overall, the bill was reasonable. None of us had dessert so I cannot comment.