“Excellent food :-)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille

Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 155 Restaurants in Morristown
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Madison Avenue
Transit: New Jersey Transit Trains and Bus at our doorstep. Convent Station New Jersey
Description: Welcome to New Jersey's Legendary Steak House Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille, an area landmark and winner of New Jersey Monthly's 'Best Steakhouse' award, offers lunch and dinner daily as well as the finest Sunday Brunch in New Jersey. The restaurant's new design, rich wood paneling and highly polished brass, lends a classic elegance to the sophisticated atmosphere. For an intimate and unique experience, dinner aboard the private Parlour Cars is sure to be remembered. Formerly the private domain of the rich and famous, these beautifully refurbished, turn of the century railway cars are exquisitely complimented by the haute cuisine of Rod's esteemed Executive Chef.
Wayne, New Jersey
“Excellent food :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I love everything, service, food, environment, music.....

Visited April 2012

New Jersey
“good but watch out for WHICH restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I saw the Red Dog Tavern sign (which is part of the restaurant setup including the Rod's). We wanted a quick and moderately priced late lunch. We entered; said we wanted "a bite to eat; what are the dining options?; and is it possible to eat in the railroad car?". The end result was we ended up with a $90 bill. The seating staff needs to do a better job of directing the customer to where they want to go.

So my WARNING!: As you enter the restaurant area the Red Dog Tavern is to your immediate right. If you ask about the railroad dining car (as I did), you will be pointed to walk straight back to a second seating staff group that's at the entrance to a bar area (and which I presumed was the Red Dog Tavern given the bar).

However, the second seating staff is NOT for the Tavern. They told me the railroad car was closed but that they could seat me. I thought fine. I followed the head waiter. We went PAST the bar area. On the other side of the wall was a beautiful dining room. I did a quick mental calculation of these trade-offs:

1. Is this the Tavern (presumably with "tavern" level pricing)?
2. Oh oh, this place looks expensive. You don't have have linen table clothes for a "tavern" price.
3. Do I start asking the head waiter questions and look "cheap" to my wife?

At any rate, I took the seat. The service and food was excellent. HOWEVER, it was one of the most un-enjoyably expensive meals I have ever eaten given that we were just looking for a quick (but nice) bite to eat. I also felt like an idiot accidentally backing into blowing $90 for lunch. Sure, much (most?) of it is my own fault. HOWEVER, it's confusing walking in. Head waiter staff really should do a better job of directing you to where you want to go.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pennsylvania
“Excellent Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

We had lunch there before going to a wedding nearby. We told our waiter we were in a bit of a hurry, so he helped us with our menu selections (what would be quicker) & provided prompt & excellent service. I had the Crabcake Sandwich & others had Turkey Club Sandwich & Waldorf Salad. All were excellent! If in the area again, we'd definitely return!

Visited May 2012
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
“A first class dining experience, top to bottom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

What do you want in a dining experience? Good food: Rod's steaks and specials can't be beat; good service: pro waiters in white aprons tend to every need; interesting atmosphere? The main dining room is on two levels and looks very attractive but the restored train cars are special; value; the bill is less than you would expect for all of this.

Can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Visited May 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Very expensive for mediocore meat. All the dishes are a la carte, so don't expect to even get a piece of lettuce with your meal with paying big $$ extra for it. Who diesn't serve a salad with their meal, or even bread??

Visited January 2012