“Ambitious cuisine, mixed results”

Blue Morel Restaurant and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Morel Restaurant and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 168 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lindsley Drive
Description: Blue Morel Restaurant and Wine Bar provides our guests the most fresh, locally-sourced, and delicious foods that Morristown residents could ever hope for. We pride ourselves on preparing each dish with the care attention that fresh ingredients deserve. Our menu is full of amazing New American favorites that cannot be topped in the area. Our seasonal dishes are sure to make your mouth water. If you are a fish person, we have fresh Chilean Sea Bass, Crispy Crab Cakes, and a raw bar that features succulent shrimp and oysters on the half shell. Our grill is also serving farm-raised beef and pork chops. If you thought it could not get any better, we have hand rolled sushi on our menu as well! What good is a great meal without a beautiful bottle of wine? We have got you covered there, too! Our extensive wine list is what has made Blue Morel one of the hottest spots in Morristown, NJ and we want to show you all a great time when you visit us. The next time you are craving deliciously fresh and a professionally prepared feast, look no further than Blue Morel Restaurant and Wine Bar!
Reviewed September 15, 2012

First the good: the restaurant is very beautiful, in muted tones of brown and amber. They have managed to turned the handicapped ramp into a runway at the center of the restaurant that brilliantly divides the two sections of seating. The banquettes are heavenly comfortable, the service professional and cheerful without being overly casual. The wine list is extensive with a variety of good choices. Now the bad: I arrived at the restaurant admittedly casually dressed and looking just a little bit seedy after a day of watching my nephews participate in track meets. I just wanted a good meal. Thin young hostess: would you like to sit at the bar? (The restaurant was almost completely empty). Me: No. I had the romaine salad, the scallops and then a grilled peach for dessert. Everything had a variety of flavors with hints of Asian cuisine, and at time the flavors seem to be fighting with each other, rather than blending. The romaine salad - essentially a Caesar salad - had a lemon dressing with some kind of ingredient that had overtones of soy sauce. The scallops were the standout - perfectly grilled on a bed of cauliflower puree - with (I think) kale frisee on top. Excellent. Dessert was good but a bit overwrought - perfectly grilled peached accompanied by a lovely creme fraiche ice cream on top of amaretto cherries accompanied by a slice of cake with (I think) poppy seeds. The peaches were perfection - but all of the other stuff seemed to distract from rather than enhance their natural simplicity. Overall, this was a good experience - if a bit pricey - but I think the food could be toned down just a bit to let the dominant flavors shine.

1  Thank DCvagabond1

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travel a good bit and usually don't like to eat in the hotel restaurants. Since they have a somewhat captive audience, quality can sometimes suffer -- but not here. This is one of the two best hotel restaurants I've ever been to. I started with the Hearts of Romaine salad which was amazing. The crab cakes had been recommended via another review on this site, did not disappoint. There was literally no filler in the cakes and I have no idea how they actually stayed together. The service was good, but not great.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The food here was excellent. I had one of the most deeply satisfying pasta dishes I've ever had. It's pricey, but the food was delicious. I was surprised to find such a nice restaurant right in the hotel.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had lunch here. The sushi was good. I tried the crabcake because of the hype and is was OK though somthing in the flavoring was not to my palate. However, there was a lot of crab meat so I can see most people really enjoying it. The best part of the experience is the structure. Very open and clean, great layout to eat or spend time around the bar area. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We've been here and its earlier incarnation many times. Always a go-to for a NY kind of meal, but struck by the Saturday night dip in service and food quality that happens with so many restaurants. We'll hope that their new-found buzz does not continue to lead to trying-too-hard entrees (over-sauced, over-ingrediented). And the wine list, while good, was not supported on this visit by a knowledgeable sommelier.