“Very good food”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Excellent if you like steaks!! Service was perfect, my only couple of small criticisms is that it gets very busy in the evenings, even mid-week, and it was a little dark - great if you're there for a romantic siore I guess (which I wasn't)

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I went in with my fiance as he surprised me for my birthday. I was dressed but as we went early he didnt expect to need a polo. Minute i walked in the hostess talked down to me when i asked for a table she continued to talk down to me stating they had a dress code so my fiance wasnt allowed and checked three times before she sat us. We sat down and waited over 10 minutes with not one person coming to greet us. For such a "high end" place with dress code i expected five star five diamond service. Though the hostess stand didnt meet any service standardsand required figured the staff would be better especiallyy for a place thats so dress code driven. Nope i was wrong. So we got up and left and the hostess offered us a dull condescending andnot sarcastic apology stating everyone was in a meeting and talked down to me again with no genuine apology. Stating i couldnt afford the restaurant. Now for me i eat at all the top restaurants in nyc who arent nearly as condecending in tone or attitude even when informing guests about dress code and aware that how a person is dressed doesnt dictate their wealth. I was wearing a $2000 necklace and carrying a $4000 purse that most people who see that type of money would of picked up on but the hostess assumed we couldnt afford it and purposely left us hanging and talked down to us. Left negative taste in my mouth and will never go back or recommend to anyone. Food only talks so much and i can always find another place with great food. Its service that distinguishes restaurant. The hostess they lost a big check that night as we were planning on a long dinner with bottles of wine. Dont go not worth the aaggravation. Below poor service with bad hostess stand. Just because you have a dress code doesnt make you five star five diamond restaurant. Its your service and ability to put out perfect dish after dish. Providing chain restaurant applebees service in what you want to be a high end restaurant doesnt work and doesnt make a restaurant comporable. If service is this bad food cant be that great.

Want a good place take the time and go to the city where at least service will be decent.

4  Thank rebelz920
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I visited this restaurant with the wife as we were staying with some friends who lived in nearby Convent Station. As we live in HK, its difficult to get good fresh steaks so we were looking forward to having a traditional US steak meal.
I must admit the service was good and the waiter did not mind spending time detailing every steak on the menu and how it was cut and cooked. A rather nice novelty, is that they dont serve bread......they serve very large hot "Yorkshire Puddings" (if you are a Brit) and a "popover" (if you are USA). These were yummy and a pleasant surprise for the wife who has never had this before.
The steaks were enormous and you do need to order a side dish. Desserts were equally large but very enjoyable.
Prices are a bit on the high side (wines are reasonable) however, it was a great steak dining experience.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Very pretentious and not that well presented. We were left waiting at the reception, not welcome while a number of the staff tried to solve a booking issue for the people in front. The serving staff are not well presented and the food was not up to Arthur's up the road (and far more expensive).
BUT watch your bill - they try and charge for more expensive wine than ordered or give you a more expensive wine than requested - we thought it was only us, but after we complained, a number of other guests came up to use and mentioned that they had been hit in the past the same way and were careful to check the wine before opening and the bill after.

2  Thank weechancer
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I must be missing something. Roots was very busy on a Wednesday evening in mid July. They apparently have a loyal following. The decor is subdued to the point of boring and very dark. It is also quite noisy. I couldn't get comfortable since my seat seemd to have retained the indentation of every previous bottom that had been in it. We ordered the lobster bisque which was tasty but had lumps of potato in it which I found unnecessary and disconcerting. The soup was served in bowls so deep that it was necessary to tilt the bowl to get the soup on the spoon. Truly, they had to be a good seven inches deep...bad design. We ordered a steak and the lamb chops, both were cooked as ordered and tasty. We ordered grilled asparagus and onion rings as sides. The asparagus could have spent another couple of minutes on the grill and they were not hot. The breading on the onion rings was bland. Prices are high - $12.95 for a Roasted Beet Salad - I kid you not! We concluded dinner by sharing a chocolate caramel cake with vanilla ice cream. I felt that the cake was underdone - if the center was supposed to have been molten, it should have been molten, not just pasty. The poor texture could have been offset by the cold creaminess of the ice cream if there had been more than a couple bites of it.

Staffing is heavy. In the early part of the meal if was hard to carry on a conversation without being interrupted by waiters, bus boys, and managers stopping by the table. But by the end of the meal everyone seemed to vanish and we were never offered more coffee or were able to present our paid bill and thank our waiter. We gave up and left.

Apparently Roots has become a popular and successful restaurant in downtown Morristown. I just felt disappointed and have no desire to return

2  Thank gazell56