“Pretentious and check your bill”
Review of Roots Steakhouse

Roots Steakhouse
Ranked #5 of 167 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Very pretentious and not that well presented. We were left waiting at the reception, not welcome while a number of the staff tried to solve a booking issue for the people in front. The serving staff are not well presented and the food was not up to Arthur's up the road (and far more expensive).
BUT watch your bill - they try and charge for more expensive wine than ordered or give you a more expensive wine than requested - we thought it was only us, but after we complained, a number of other guests came up to use and mentioned that they had been hit in the past the same way and were careful to check the wine before opening and the bill after.

2  Thank weechancer

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I must be missing something. Roots was very busy on a Wednesday evening in mid July. They apparently have a loyal following. The decor is subdued to the point of boring and very dark. It is also quite noisy. I couldn't get comfortable since my seat seemd to have retained the indentation of every previous bottom that had been in it. We ordered the lobster bisque which was tasty but had lumps of potato in it which I found unnecessary and disconcerting. The soup was served in bowls so deep that it was necessary to tilt the bowl to get the soup on the spoon. Truly, they had to be a good seven inches deep...bad design. We ordered a steak and the lamb chops, both were cooked as ordered and tasty. We ordered grilled asparagus and onion rings as sides. The asparagus could have spent another couple of minutes on the grill and they were not hot. The breading on the onion rings was bland. Prices are high - $12.95 for a Roasted Beet Salad - I kid you not! We concluded dinner by sharing a chocolate caramel cake with vanilla ice cream. I felt that the cake was underdone - if the center was supposed to have been molten, it should have been molten, not just pasty. The poor texture could have been offset by the cold creaminess of the ice cream if there had been more than a couple bites of it.

Staffing is heavy. In the early part of the meal if was hard to carry on a conversation without being interrupted by waiters, bus boys, and managers stopping by the table. But by the end of the meal everyone seemed to vanish and we were never offered more coffee or were able to present our paid bill and thank our waiter. We gave up and left.

Apparently Roots has become a popular and successful restaurant in downtown Morristown. I just felt disappointed and have no desire to return

2  Thank gazell56
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have been to Roots in Summit several times and were ecstatic to learn that they opened up a Morristown location. The atmosphere is similar to a nice steakhouse in Manhattan. The steaks have always been delicious. We have been very pleased with the salad options, and appetizers are excellent. The Cowboy steak and the Kansas City Strips have been great. Less buttery than Ruth's Chris or Morton's. The popovers are unbelievable and are always served piping hot right out of the oven.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is an upmarket restaurant with heavy staffing and they seem to think that it is better than it actually is. When I went it was quite busy and the staff were happy enough to do the usual meet and greet etc. Choice of food was good but it is expensive and entrees came alone so you needed the sides which were ~$9 each. However, we were hoping for good things. Sadly no. The bread was the first indication - under cooked. The potatoes stodgy. The lamb was good. Waiter took my drink away when 25% left and a good sip of wine was removed from my colleague. Didn't have dessert or coffee. Won't be going back with such a good choice within minutes walk

2  Thank Akaalig
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This place is all about atmosphere. It has the feel of NYC in NJ. Dim lighting, dark wood, large and comfy leather boothes. Plus, an extensive food and wine menu. However, if you order from the wine list you are better off purchasing a bottle. The by the glass options are very limited.

For appetizers:
The chilled seafood and shellfish platter is so, so very good. Splurge on it! Also, try the arugula salad-it's the best I have anywhere to date.

I cannot actually rate their steaks from first hand experience (yet!), but my husband and our friends loved their cuts. The filets are tender and juicy as are the rib-eye steaks. I had the five spice yellow fin tuna with a balsamic reduction...it was pretty stellar.

As for the sides the broccoli with garlic and oil and the onion rings were spot on.

We skipped the dessert because we were so stuffed from everything else, but we promised ourselves we would try it out next time we dine at Roots.