“True NYC steakhouse in NJ”
Review of Roots Steakhouse

Roots Steakhouse
Ranked #4 of 159 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“True NYC steakhouse in NJ”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

The owners of Trap Rock, 3 West, Roots in Summit and Mt. Tabor Inn have done it again. The new Roots restarant in the center of Morristown is top quality. You will definately pay NYC prices, but the ambience, atmosphere and taste is all there. I have eaten there a number of time mostly for work. This time I went with my wife and we were treated great by the wait staff. Expect to pay going in and have a great time.

• Visited November 2011

New Jersey
“Impressive atmosphere and service - the foods not bad either”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Roots is an upscale, traditional, old style a-la-carte steakhouse with wood paneling, coated waiters and a formal but not quite stuffy atmosphere. The dining room was very loud and noisy but after a few minutes we adjusted and it no longer bothered us. There is an excellent bar and bar scene where you can also order off the menu as well. I actually think it was quiter in that part of the restaurant. The menu is full of high-end steak and seafood, so don't bother if that's not what you're in the mood for. They have a great wine list as well. To start we each ordered a different salads which were very good but both were swimming in dressing and way too overly dressed for us. I would recommend requesting dressing on the side for any salad. Bread is provided but it's an unusual popover bread which I found interesting but would have preferred a more traditional type of bread. We split a 48oz Porterhouse for two which of course we couldn't finish. It was delishious and cooked perfectly although not the best I've ever eaten. For the price I doubt I would order it again. We had side dishes of herbed mushrooms which were amazing and brocolli with garlic that was also good. For dessert we split a sundae which was excellent. While we didn't order the cold seafood platters, they looked incredible. I might have to come back just to try one when I'm in the mood. Overall the service was great, the atmosphere was good and the food satisfying - we had a very enjoyable "date night" out. I would recommend Roots if you're looking to make an impression or have a high-end steakhouse experience. While this probably won't be a regular stop for us, I'm sure we'll be back on the right occassions.

• Visited December 2011
Rochester, New York
“As good as any New York steak house”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

the menu is fantastic - there is a lot more than steak to choose from. the popovers are fantastic, and the wine selection is daunting (this is the one downside as a nj restaurant - it is NOT byo). the service is also excellent, unlike many New York steak houses...

• Visited October 2011
The Adirondacks
“Great Steaks”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Very good steak house. Some steaks are USDA grade prime, some dry-aged. Steaks are $20-40. The menu is a la carte, so if only order a steak, you'll get only a steak. There are numerous side dishes for $6; they're good, but not huge in side, so don't plan to share them. For vegetarians, the non-meat offerings are limited to a few salads and side dishes. Desserts, about $9, are huge and are definitely for sharing. The wine list is extensive but expensive, starting at around $45/bottle. Service was good. The only disappointment was the Béarnaise sauce, which was bland and tasteless.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Marty P
Morristown, New Jersey
“Best steak in Morristown”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Ask for a booth, Clams Casino are a must & the steaks are worth every penny. Pinot Grigio is reasonably priced for a steakhouse. Tip, bar tables get very loud.

• Visited August 2011