“Fun and tasty experience”

Marjan Fine Persian Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Marjan Fine Persian Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 160 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cattano Avenue
Transit: 5 minutes from train station. Bus stop across the street by the Hyatt Hotel on Speedwell Ave.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

If you want to sample some very tasty authentic Persian food in a low maintenance environment, this is the place for you. The food is worth coming back for multiple tastings. I added "fun" to the experience because the owners are friendly and informative.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were driving through the area headed for a hotel in Branchburg and checked TripAdvisor for a place to stop for dinner. Marjan came up and we decided to give it a try. It was AMAZING! First of all, as other reviewers have said, the owners are very welcoming and thoughtful. The restaurant itself is upscale casual, meaning a nice atmosphere yet comfortable. The menu has something for everyone, including grilled meats, rice dishes and vegetarian options. We shared the Kashk-e-Bademjan appetizer (grilled eggplant) and everyone agreed it was incredible, especially the mint-olive oil-garlic condiment on the side. Two of us ordered lamb kebab, one the shrimp kebab, and three rice dishes. Everything was tasty, perfectly cooked, and we all enjoyed our meals (even my mother-in-law who rarely raves about a meal!). Portions were more than enough. We were in a bit of a rush so we skipped desert, however I bet these are really excellent, too. We'll be back!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

The ambience is nice. Quiet with pleasant acoustic, Flameno guitar playing in the background. The hostess was pleasant, helpful and attentive. She offered us a sample of the sauce that went with one of the main dishes that we were considering, which was very nice since we hadn't eaten certain Persian dishes before. The mixed kabob with grilled vegetables was excellent. My wife's dish ( a chicken stew with a pomegranate sauce ) wasn't nearly as good as the chicken was tough, dry and did not seem particularly fresh. Overall though, it was very pleasant and I would try it again, tough perhaps stick with the kabobs.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Went to this restaurant one day looking for Turkish coffee. It was amazing! Rafiki welcomed us with open arms and we felt like a part of him and his wife's family. The food was good and he was so incredibly nice! :) We went there for dinner and lunch in the same week! He even opened the restaurant early just so we could eat lunch before we hit the road. Such a great memory!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have found it VERY difficult to find delicious cuisine that is not of Italian origin in the Summit, Chatham, Madison, Morristown area. I have yet to find good Thai food in the area, although there are many establishments that claim to serve Thai food. I can't find any food of any interest such as Ethiopian or Vietnamese. Honestly most establishments are bland-standard American fare or Italian food... boring to me...

Given the limited choices in the area Marjan is a pleasant experience. While it is not the best Persian/Middle Eastern food I've ever had it is CERTAINLY among the best in the area. I give the restaurant high marks given it's location.

Now that you understand the environment I'll dig into the review of the food.

My sister and I were excited to try a highly rated Persian restaurant in my area.

APPETIZERS: We ordered the Dolmeh (stuffed grape leaves) and Salad-e-Olivieh (potato salad with chicken). Neither were excellent. Both were acceptable, but we will likely not order the Salad-e-Olivieh again.

MAIN MEAL: We both ordered the Kabob-e-Kubideh (ground sirloin kabob). This is a favorite of ours in the Washington DC area (we are originally from Arlington, VA where we can get AMAZING food... usually eat at the Lebanese Tavern for a nice sit down meal or Moby Dick for an inexpensive quick meal or to-go meal). The kubideh was good and we were so happy to see sumac on the table so we could add as much sumac as we wanted on our rice & kubideh. We were surprised that the kubideh did not come with grilled onions, tomatoes, or other vegetables - something we frequently have seen in other restaurants.

DINING ROOM: Marjan is very small and compact. I made reservations via OpenTable to ensure we had a seat on a Saturday night.

SERVICE: Excellent. The staff was attentive and was trying to ensure we knew what to order. It gave me the impression that most folks that live out here don't know the basics of middle eastern cuisine. We thanked them for their suggestions and told them we were familiar with the items on the menu and LOVED the fact that they had sumac!

In summary: if you love to eat different cuisines you have to get closer to NYC... Marjan is good, not great.