“Neither Offensive Nor Delightful”
Review of David Todd's City Tavern - CLOSED

David Todd's City Tavern
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Elm Street
Description: Upscale casual dining with two different feels. The main dining room - more quiet, more refined. The lounge - Upbeat vibe, where the action is. Whatever your mood, we have what your looking for.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I recently dined at David Todd's. The hostess was welcoming and seated us immediately in the nicely designed dining room. Our server arrived promptly, and truly wound up being one of the bright spots of the evening, along with our martinis, which were large and icy cold. We started with the short rib pierogis, which were scorched and dry on the outside and stuffed with a bland filling I wouldn't have recognized as short ribs unless I'd read it on the menu. Next up for me was the arugula and watermelon salad, which was amply sized but too lightly dressed and served with two wedges of grilled haloumi cheese that were so well grilled as to be almost inedible. My spouse had the beet salad, and after tasting it and declaring it to be mushy and "old-tasting," sent it back, trading it for the arugula. For entrees we chose the lamb loin and the pork mignon. Both were good cuts of meat appropriately cooked, but neither particularly knocked our socks off. On the whole, it was fine, which in my book is damning a restaurant with faint praise-- since much of the reason to dine out is to eat better than one does at home. Maybe if we'd eaten in the bar and stuck to their bar menu, we might have been happier. In the end, we wound up concluding that David Todd's is probably best as a place to stop for a cocktail when you're on your way to you favorite BYOB restaurant nearby for dinner. But we're unlikely to make a return visit for a full dinner any time soon.

1  Thank MisterTravelFella

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I've reviewed David Todd's before and was very turned off by the music (too loud and awful). I've read other reviews that complained about the music too. But my family remembered the good food and wanted to give it another shot. We went on a Saturday night and I must say we were very pleased. Perhaps the owner got the message, because the music was so low I couldn't even tell you what was playing. The new summer menu is pretty inventive. The oysters were very fresh and tasty. The entrees were great, especially the Churrasco Steak and Cobia. The service was top notch. It's somewhat pricey, but I'd rather have an expensive good meal than a cheaper so-so experience. Next time we'll return with higher expectations.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a different place to eat. We took a ride into Morristown over this past weekend and David Todd's caught our eye. Its a pleasant looking exterior with sidewalk dining. Inside, the restaurant is separated into 2 distinct areas, a more formal dining room and a less formal lounge area. We opted for the lounge because we just wanted a quick bite to eat and a drink. The lounge had a large bar and tables scattered around, the decor was like 1800's with real gas laterns for lighting etc. We had a couple of appetizers and dessert. Service was excellent, the wait staff were very friendly and we enjoyed ourselves there. Would definitely go back

1  Thank Joe L
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Had dinner here tonight and started with two appetizers, the fried calamari and beet salad. The calamari was good but lost any crispness due to being soaked in sauce. The beets were soft and tasted clearly like packaged beets, not fresh. My wife had halibut which had an extremely salty coating and was grossly overlooked and dried out. I had the seared tuna which was a nicely seared piece of tuna served standing in a hot broth. This dish seemed contradictory as the idea of searing tuna is to eat it rare, but the tuna continued to cook in the broth and therefore lost the searing. My daughter had the scallops which had an odd side dish and were average at best. I give this restaurant two stars only because our server was good and I liked the idea of wine flights. The selection of wine was odd and lacked upscale wines. We would not return.

1  Thank Arthur A
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Been going here since moving to Morristown in 09-2012. Initially was impressed, however, on each subsequent visit the menu is the same and the food quality has dropped. Even the specials are pretty much the same just tweaked by season.

I was amazed to hear the chef is one of the 'Best Chefs of America'? On the last two visits my entree was poor and the server without asking removed it from the check commenting that it is a common occurrence with those items. If David Prusin is in the kitchen, he is not deserving of this accolade due to inadequate quality control, and lack of inspiration from the never changing menu.

The servers are always excellent although per some other reviews the food and drink service is slow so they have to work hard to keep the table happy but in our experience they normally deliver.

I said my last visit was the last unless the menu is updated as the average food is not worth the trip for the $$$s. Morristown needs places like this so I really do hope the chef has an epiphany and delivers food worthy of an award. For now, sadly, it is not.