“Out of the Ordinary Caribbean Restaurant in MoTown”

Hibiscus Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 167 Restaurants in Morristown
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Hibiscus is a unique find! Located in the heart of Morristown inside the Morristown Inn; a one of it’s kind, Hibiscus boasts a unique concept providing the first upscale but cozy Caribbean restaurant in New Jersey , the first in a hotel & the only place for Caribbean in town. Hibiscus prepares & presents for it's guests five star quality meals at unbelievably affordable prices. Never before have you had Traditional American & Authentic Island Cuisine (Jamaican) at it's best all in one place. Come & enjoy from Authentic Jamaican Jerk Chicken served with traditional rice & beans & fried plantains to our famous Rasta Pasta made with lightly seasoned Jerk chicken breast, sundried tomatoes & broccoli in a light cream sauce over penne or capellini to Steak House quality steaks, perfectly prepared & served with our gourmet mashed potatoes & vegetables al dente, Complete your evening with our to die for, Jamaican Rum flavored Bread Pudding & Cup of our renowned blue mountain peak coffee
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a discount certificate for brunch at this hotel restaurant. We weren't sure what to expect as caribbean restaurants here in NJ are not very common. My wife, daughter and I visited on a Sunday mid-day and it was hard to get a reservation. Many curious people like us had apparently obtained the discount certificates too and the time to use them was winding down.

Nearly everything offered was very good if not excellent. The pasta rasta, ham and turkey carving stations, jerk chicken, grilled vegetables, baklava and, believe it or not, eggplant rollatini, were all much better than we expected. My wife especially enjoyed the oxtails which were described as being similar to osso bucco.

This is a BYOB operation so you can bring your own wine or champagne to make the brunch even a lilttle more special. They had a jazz band that was OK (though I am not sure of the connection to the caribbean cusine) but the dining room is small so we asked to be moved farther away so we could talk and hear one another. The hostess eagerly obliged and moved us to a table in the corner.

We will almost certainly be back, perhaps to check out dinner some evening.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

In the middle of hurricane Sandy (Oct 2012) I found myself staying at the hotel which houses Hibiscus and thus by chance ate there. I was surprised at the vegetarian entrees on the menu and very pleased with the quality of the food. The only negative is that they do not serve beer, and wine only by the bottle (maybe half bottle) which was too much for me as a solo diner. There are lots of restaurants in Morristown which don't have liquor licenses, and allow customers to bring their own, so check with the management; even though they do serve wine, they might allow you to bring your own if you'd rather.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had brunch on Sunday and while the food was ok, it just didn't seem right. I suppose walking across the hall to get your food was strange as well as the jazz piano player knocking out tunes way too loudly. All in all it's weird. The staff is friendly, the food choices varied, from eggs to turkey. Everything tastes fine. I imagine if they had outdoor seating I might have felt better about it.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I don’t understand how this place managed to become #2 in Morristown on TA. Perhaps they used to be better, but with so many places around, there’re definitely better choices available.
We came in at 1:30pm for a Sunday brunch that started at 12 noon. The food already looked like it’s been sitting there for quite some time. It just didn’t look fresh or very appetizing. We tried a few items, and most of them tasted OK though. Hash browns were cold, and it appeared that none of the chafing dishes actually had any flames under them. Both ham and turkey from the carving station were extremely salty and also lukewarm.
I ordered hot tea, and it was brought in little metal pot with a bag of decaf Lipton in it (I didn’t ask for decaf) and no cup. I had to ask for a cup several minutes later, when I saw our waitress again.
The desert table had a wide selection of items, but none of them looked very appetizing. We tried a carrot cake and an apple pie with pecans; neither was to our liking. There was also a platter of dreadfully-looking cut fruit that nobody touched.
At the end they had the audacity to include 20% gratuity in the bill!
The restaurant is located in a basement of a hotel, which in and of itself would not be a big deal. However, it had an old and worn carpet, you were surrounded by lots of plastic plants (even the flowers on the tables were plastic!), with a restaurant entrance just around the corner from hotel’s laundry room with a pile of dirty laundry right by the entrance, and the room with the buffet was across the hallway from the dining room.
The only good part was a jazz singer at the piano (Lou Watson), who has a great voice. I’d come to listen for him again, but not here.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at Hibiscus several times now.
The food is absolutely delicious each and every time and the service is top notch.
I cannot say enough about how good it is, plus there's always live music!
We recently took a group of friends (11 in total) and everyone's meal was delicious.
Some of our personal favorites are; their house salad, Rasta Pasta, Salmon, Jerk Chicken and you have to try their homemade bread pudding! I recently learned they do a Sunday Jazz Brunch which will be next on our list to try.