“Cozy community theatre”

Mayo Performing Arts Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Mayo Performing Arts Center is Northern New Jersey's premier performing arts organization. Presenting concerts, dance, jazz, theatre, family shows and more in the heart of downtown Morristown.
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Saw the Doobie Brothers May of 2011. Absolutely great show, but the downside was the sound system of the hall. It needed to be louder and cleaner. It did not do the talent justice. I don't think there is a bad seat in the house, although ours were pretty close. For non-rock-band events, this is probably a very nice venue

There are newer reviews for Mayo Performing Arts Center

Reviewed January 24, 2012

I recenly became a member of MPAC because I believe in its mission to support and encourage the advancement of the arts in northwestern New Jersey. There is definitely a need for a small theatre venue here and I've been impressed with some of the talent they've been attracting in the last few years. I hope to see more of the same, and I also hope that they never become too elitist so that they pass up such acts as Weird Al Yankovich, Lewis Black, or others who make for enjoyable entertainment.

2  Thank traveler47NJ
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Visited the Center on 1/21/11 to see Tracy Morgan. We had seats in the third row of the balcony and had a great view. Very pleasant staff and plenty of parking and restaurants around the Center. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

The Mayo Center has many artists performing - good value and an evening out. Morristown has many good restaurants to eat before seeing a show.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I've been to the Mayo Center a zillion times. The shows have all been great. There are terrific restaurants in town and within walking distance. Reasonably priced. Great sound system. Safe neighborhood. This facility was an old movie theater so there are a several issues preventing me from giving this place 5 stars. The biggest issues here are parking and the bathrooms. Simply, there aren't enough bathrooms. I think I read some where that they were adding bathrooms but I haven't seen it. When you walk into the lobby, the ticket booth/will call is on the right and it is smack against the ladies room line~very annoying. There are better bathrooms on the second level but most patrons are on the first floor. The lobby also has a bar smack in the center and there are always long lines. Ya think they would get extra help or limit the kinds of drinks they sell to keep things moving like beer, wine, water, soda, etc. ? The theater is smack in the middle of a quaint town so there is no dedicated parking lot/garage for it. Plan on walking a few blocks. If you get there early enough, you might be able to snag a parking space to the right of the theater. Parking is $5. You pull into a numbered space and then pay the $5 in a machine after entering your space number. Wacky but in the cold weather this is good. Forget about arriving late or close to the scheduled performance time because you will never find a space to park unless it's a weeknight. Morristown is particularly busy on Friday and Saturday nights for restaurants and then add a theater performance and the place is crazy. Another very annoying thing about this venue is that the sound board is 3/4ths of the way back taking up prime seating. Why in the world they would keep this in the orchestra section is beyond me. The sound booth needs to be moved to the back of the seating and let patrons sit there. I always notice seats around it don't sell because it's darn annoying. Check the seating chart and you will see what I mean. Again, although I've been here tons of times over the years and have enjoyed many shows, it is not my first choice of a venue if I can help it. Parking will always be an issue but you can work around that by getting there early. The bathrooms, long bar lines, and moving the sound board are all things that can be fixed if the Mayo Center makes these a priority.

2  Thank ssg47
MayoArtsCenter, General Manager at Mayo Performing Arts Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

As a part of our ongoing renovations to improve the services of our lobby, we have added larger, more accessible restrooms on the first floor. This phase of our Lobby Expansion project also features a brand-new box office (accessible directly from South Street) and will include an elevator to the second floor.

We encourage you to visit us again soon to see the improvements!