“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Have been trying to go here for a number of years but its closed Sunday which is normally our night out. Greeted at the door by the owner Desmond & head waiter Walter both soft spoken Irish gentlemen. Had a corner table the decor, while a little dated, was quaint. Apparently they have a large room upstairs for parties etc but we didn't go up. Had lobster bisque, nice & spicy, andouille sausage, very spicy, filet Mignon & the sirloin, all excellent and large portions to boot.
They have a large outside area which will be nice in the summer, little chilly just yet though.

There are newer reviews for The Grand Cafe

Reviewed March 23, 2012

This is one of Morristown's best restaurants. Service, food, decor were all fantastic!
It is quite pricey, so be prepared to open up the wallet. I had ravioli in a brandy cream sauce for appetizer...Yum. And filet mignon, mashed potatoes and string beans for entree...excellent! And although I am not a desert person, my apple torte disappeared from the plate. This is a perfect place for a special event. Although I was on business, this would be lovely for a romantic dinner.

Reviewed February 17, 2012

The place is like and old 70s style restaurant with flowery dishes, gilded mirrors and rich colors on the wall. It tries to look elegant but it looks a bit tired. We were surprised by the TV at the entrance which was on like if in a pub. It just does not make sense in a "French-style"restaurant, plus pipe music on top of the noise...

What surprised me was the interesting selection of food. I had escargots with a herb garlic style sauce which were rather good. Then I changed from French to Japanese and had ahi tuna sashimi. Unusual and interesting. They also have steak tartare that look quite good, bisque soup, etc. So we were quiet intrigued by this seemingly fusion and eclectic mix of cuisines. All in all we were happy with the food. The service was good too. But we were alone so they clearly had no much more to do. I cannot comment how it would be with a full restaurant.

I understand from my colleagues that this is a nice addition to the restaurant pool of Morristown, not cheap, but I can see why, good food; however judging by the lack of clients I would say they might need a bit of a revamp of the place. It could be antique and luxury looking but it does not need to look "old"

Reviewed February 8, 2012

The Grand has been around a long time, and like most elderly restaurants, it is coasting on its reputation. Food is well-prepared but unimaginative, and prices are well above those of equal and superior competitors. Wait staff is courteous but somewhat aloof, another hallmark of coasting. I understand that the path of least resistance is to stick with a formula that has worked for a long time; but the owners need to bite the bullet and do a major makeover before the venerable old Grand Cafe coasts into oblivion.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I'd had a gift certificate for ever, so I invited a friend and his wife for dinner. Wow! I have been to the GC for events, but it has been a long time since I just went for dinner. Everything from start to finish was outstanding. While the place is very formal, the service was friendly and warm. We all ordered cold appetizers - 2 different salads and the house smoked salmon. All arrived promptly and were delicious. Two of us chose seafood - one swordfish in a mediterranean style, one ahi tuna in a more Asian style. Both were fantastic - the fish cooked perfectly. The birthday boy had liver and onions and you could see the enjoyment on his face. Cheesecake and apple tart for dessert - nothing that special. The wine list has some very top-flight bottles, but also enough for the price- conscious diner. It is a high-end restaurant, but you get what you pay for and it is very good value.

1  Thank bropaul